A Noticable Trend - Advice Giving

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ganado, Aug 27, 2015.

1. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Wasn't going for harsh, just straight advice. If all you want is the text book version, then use a text book. [dunno]
    That is what libraries are for, unless they are giving out free condums now or goverment cheese?
    That is what that piticular resource is designed to do. Store dry facts until someone wants them.
    Perfect, if that is all you want, why not use it? I've spent a great deal of time at a library or two, and believe me, they do have the straight facts (and not much else)
    To go to a forum to read just the facts, is the same as wearing earplugs to a concert so you can read the score. Or going to the pool in a bathing suit that can't get wet![loco]

2. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I guess where we disagree is that people don't have to participate to benefit from the information and enjoy the members. Just because I don't have a talent for telling a good joke doesn't mean I don't appreciate hearing one. So much better than reading it out of a book

3. kellory

And without an audience, what is the point of telling a joke?;)

4. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Exactly, an audience but there is not requirement for any of the audience members to reciprocate and tell a joke of their own.

5. kellory

Correct, but without feedback, it's known as a hard room. It give no direction for the next bit. Did they get the joke? Was it funny? Did it bomb? Do I need more in that vein, or switch to a different topic?
    Ricart:" "Data, a joke is all about timing" data:"my timing is digital " Ricart: "now THAT'S FUNNY! DATA!! " data:" I do not understand.... "
    Without feedback, you might as well just write a book, and be misunderstood in your own way.
    A forum IS give and take, lead and learn, ask and reply. Facts presented and ideas explained. Not all.must participate, but some must, or it dies.
    Take you recent sourdough bread thread. The forum is like the dough, it get started with each subject, it breeds life into each thread as it grows, it can be halved, sectioned, split and it keeps growing, it produces, and keep growing, and can carry on indefinitely, as long as it is fed and cared for, but once that growth dies, there is no more bread. That breeder reaction needs to continue, or you have to start over from ground zero.
    That exchange of ideas that keeps thing moving is the core group of monkeys that can bounce ideas around and keep it alive. Others join in and fall out as they choose, players shift, but it is that breeder reaction that is life.
    Facts alone, are just the dry ingredients, without the water or yeast. (Life and growth)

Brokor likes this.
  6. RightHand

I don't need to be rewarded by feedback to enjoy telling the joke and knowing I've told it well. I will end my participation in the question of interaction and allow you to have the last word: drum roll.........[LMAO]

Tully Mars and Yard Dart like this.
  7. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

Isn't if funny how this thread . . . and about 90% of the other threads lately, has devolved into the tangents that @Ganado was talking about.

A discussion of substance turns to Canadians (as if @Mindgrinder is a valid representation for them ALL), then to who remembers the good ol days of of dial-up, etc. ad finitum ad nauseum.

I rarely post anymore, not that my voice matters in the whole scheme of things--it doesn't, due to the OP's issue. If you want to have a serious discussion on here--one of substance, you have to have PMs or go to the chatroom. Otherwise, you get a lot of opinion from the loudest people in the bar, some of which are mods. In turn, this makes some people, myself included, think that it's not worth their time to post because you either end up having to defend an issue or try to steer people back to what you were asking.

Great post @Ganado. It's just too bad that you had to spend 5-10 other posts defending your OP because others have a different opinion than yours.

In matters of opinion, there can be no dispute.
    De gustibus non est disputandum

8. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

I for one will say, your post matter @CATO. You were one of the first Monkeys I paid attention to and stuck around to listen to/read more, as I liked what you had to say.
    I have always felt that your contribution to this site was important.... and it will continue to be IMO!!!!

9. kellory

Actually, yes you do. Or you could prove me wrong, by telling your jokes in the middle of an empty pasture, and documenting your joy and purpose in the telling.
    Without an audience, it's just a monologue. Even Shakespeare, had to write them down and present them to find any value.
    So go write your joke book, produce it, sell it to see if anyone liked it...oh wait, that would be feedback too. In the form of money.
    (Sigh) I guess you're stuck with it. Without feedback, .... It has no value

As for the last laugh, I'll pass. The Last Laugh is reserved for Death. (Another dry fact from a library)

pearlselby, Brokor and RightHand like this.
  10. RightHand

Sorry you feel that way Cato because like YD, I too have enjoyed your posts through the years. Some responses are pertinent to the OP and others are the dialog that is inspired by the OP. I'm guilty of taking those side roads at times but is part of the journey.

Tully Mars, HK_User, Ganado and 2 others like this.
  11. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

It fills in the blanks that many did not know existed.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7