a prepper's considerations when selecting an additional pistol

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by CATO, Jan 30, 2013.

Tags:
  1. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

That is something that has always appealed to me as well. using the same ammo in multiple weapons, as needed. That is one reason I was interested in the Judge, and a .410 in a B.O.B. (mix and match .45's and .410's)

tulianr likes this.
  2. tulianr

tulianr Don Quixote de la Monkey

I agree that being able to use the same ammo in multiple firearms is a definite plus. I certainly look at that when I consider a new weapon. Having to stock an entirely new caliber of ammo is a daunting thought.

Cato also has a good list of important areas to consider - the availability of spare parts and the number of a particular model in use are areas that one might fail to consider. The spreadsheet is a good idea for a reference; at least for me. My mind tends to work along those lines.

I do agree with Bruce though, that a weapon needs to fit the user. It has nothing to do with emotional attachment. If a weapon is too heavy or too light, or if the grip doesn't fit the hand, the other considerations may deliver a great weapon from a logistical perspective, but a poor weapon from an operational perspective.

3. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

I'm not suggesting a Desert Eagle or a derringer.

All of the pistols I put down are issued to thousands of people who don't get a choice....just like the guys issued 1911s in WWII, and they have no problems functioning. You act as though their hand will fall off. Just dont tell the guys in the sandbox right now that they could request an ergonomics audit for the fit of thier sidearm. Next you'll tell me ball ammo is ineffective at killing bad guys.

tulianr likes this.
  4. tulianr

tulianr Don Quixote de la Monkey

I get what you're saying. You make some good points, and the approach you're suggesting is innovative and pertinent.

But if I, as a prepper, need to consider an additional firearm, I personally would consider how that firearm fits me. I know that I actually became a much better pistol shot when I retired from the Marine Corps, and was allowed to choose my own pistol.

Since accuracy is important, anything that affects my accuracy must be a consideration when choosing a weapon. It's not about being a "Glock-guy" or a "1911-guy" or a "45 over a 9mm-guy"; it's about being able to confidently put rounds on target.

If your thought is to choose the best firearm for "a prepper," from a statistical perspective, then I agree that fit is inconsequential. It may just be the way that some of us are reading your original post. I think some of us are having a difficult time not inserting ourselves into the position of the generic prepper in your post.

kellory, chelloveck and BTPost like this.
  5. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

How can you have a discussion about anything if you can't divorce yourself from your idiosyncrasies? Imagine if a Chevy fan has to drive a Dodge after SHTF . . . the humanity.

kellory likes this.
  6. kellory

Will that Dodge have extended run fuel tanks, Or will I have to carry a crapload of extra gas cans? ( Tongue in cheek);)

tulianr likes this.
  7. bfayer

bfayer Keeper Of The Faith

I can't agree more, but I believe you should expand that out to include others you will be with.

There is not any situation where I expect to be on my own for an extended period of time, so interoperability within a group is essential. If I am the only guy I know with a 10mm and everyone else I know is running a .40 SW, it may not workout to well in the long run. Also do you have kids or a wife that will need to use it? If so a 454 Casull may not be the best choice (at least for me).

If you reload there is also the issue of how easy it is to reload a particular round. As most reloaders know some cases are easier to work than others, which often result in an increased case rejection rate. YMMV, but it is something to consider.

My view of firearms is the same as all other gear, function, supportability, and interoperability.

8. Dogfood

Dogfood Monkey+++

First off this is what I think will work best for me and may not be the best for everyone. The people that I would come together in a shtf time all have a Sig P226 9mm AK47 type rifle and a 12ga shotgun. We of course have other weapons as well. The $600 and under will rule out a P226 but in any case you should stock the weapons, ammo, mags and parts you think you are going to need and not plan on finding them after all hell breaks lose.

Also If your weapon are of military type you will most likely not need parts because if you are firing that kind of number of rounds in your weapons you will most likely be killed before your weapon breaks just saying.

9. kellory

This question has come up as a deer hunting question (what is the best choice for deer hunting rifle) and the general basic answer was the 30-06. Not because it shot best, or had the longest range (300 winmag) but because the ammo available was everywhere you might go, had a lot of variety, and would do the job well. could be customized as needed, and it was a common rifle, that could be repaired if needed, without unique tools. It could be worked on by anyone who knew guns.

10. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

For deer, 30-30 is more available, cheaper to buy, and adequate for the animal in question. 30-06 would be better for a larger animal, where a 30-30 would NOT be adequate... My opinion, YMMV....

11. Pyrrhus

Pyrrhus Monkey+++

I would love a semi-auto pistol chambered in 30-06. It would probably break your hand to fire it, but still...

kellory and BTPost like this.
  12. BTPost

And give the Grabers a double heart attack....LOL...

kellory likes this.
  13. kellory

Perhaps I was not fully clear. This is from a deer hunting site, and the question was for the best overall hunting rifle. The largest concern for those asked was for deer, but they hunt many things including bear, moose, elk, alligators, ect. The 300winmag came out on top for best deer rifle, but general hunting rifle was the 30-06. Primarily because of the ammo availability.

14. BTPost

No your question was NOT clear... It said for "Deer" and specifically which Caliber and cartridge, would be BEST... Nothing about the firearm that was chambered for that round, just which cartridge was BEST...

300 Win Mag is way overkill for deer.... Heck, every deer I shot before I was 18 years old was taken with my 22LR Winchester 69A at less that 70 ft...

15. kellory

My apoligizees for mis-speaking then, and while a .22lr will do the job just fine, it will get you jail time here.

16. BTPost

When this happened it was NOT illegal to do so in my State...

17. kellory

i wasn't suggesting it was. But here and now, even having a spent shell on my person or in my truck could get me big trouble while hunting deer. It is IMHO one of the stupid deer laws. I can hunt a rabbit with a 30-06, but not a deer.

18. kellory

Sorry CATO, I think I derailed your thread. :(

19. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

Additional pistol?
    Hmm, I know, One that is small, has enough oomph to knock down the zombie that is holding the rifle i get to as his is closer than mine.

Does that count?

Kinda like
    Hammer gets knife
    knife gets pistol
    pistol gets rifle
    rifle gets more rifles
    many rifles gets a tricked out humvee or other speedy mode of transportation to get the heck outta dodge until the next round.

[pop]

BTPost and kellory like this.
  20. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

Don't sweat it. This thread was f'd way back up the line and has turned into "What's your favorite SHTF gun." I should've known I was wasting my time.

1. AgentPickle
  2. Oddcaliber
  3. hank2222
  4. Oddcaliber
  5. T. Riley
  6. hank2222
  7. AxesAreBetter
  8. Motomom34
  9. Motomom34
  10. AxesAreBetter
  11. survivalmonkey
  12. Homunculi