a question for book fiends.

Discussion in 'Survival Reading Room' started by kellory, Jul 6, 2014.

1. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

I have been looking for a three book series for many years, but I can not remember the titles, or author. All I remember is it was set in space, in military type service, and the main character had a unique two-tone whistling and the name Gershwin ( which I think was the music he whistled).
    And the Earth was a wasteland, yet the main character was found there as a boy and raised in the service.
    I want to find and purchase this series. I read it many years ago, but have never seen it since.
    Does this sound familiar to anyone?

2. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

@kellory - L. E. Modesitt, Jr's "The Forever Hero"

3. DarkLight

4. kellory

THANK YOU. I think you are correct. One of the three covers has been in my head for a very long time, and I have been searching book stores and libraries for it with no success. I remember a man with his back to a ship on the tarmack, twilight lighting, and a reddish cover. Other details are gone, and no name or author.
    I will not know for sure, until I hold it in my hands and reread it, but I think you are correct.

5. kellory

chelloveck likes this.
  6. DarkLight

Glad I could help. :)

7. kellory

The pool of knowledge in the shade of the Monkey Tree, is both wide and deep. Thank you.

chelloveck, KAS, Hammerhead and 2 others like this.
  8. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

That it is. I know that search engines can generally answer most questions I have but nothing beats the SM hive mind when it comes to real world answers

9. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

I am disappointed .... lol. I looked no further than the first post before starting a search. Thought I surely had enough info to succeed. I consider myself better than an average researcher. I failed. Came back and read follow up posts. Glad kellory got his answer. Yes indeed there is a massive pool of info here!

chelloveck and kellory like this.
  10. kellory

Don't feel bad, @tacmotusn , I have been looking for years.

11. DarkLight

Ok, since this worked so well for kellory, I have one that I have been looking for off and on for over 20 years.

Genre: Fantasy
    Synopsis: Family has a special type of magic that ties them to the land. First book opens up with an astral plane "battle" between a woman and one of her male relatives. She is getting beaten but receives a sudden boost in power and fights him off. When she comes out of her trance she sees her son holding her feet in his lap and realizes that's where the boost came from.

"Foot holders" increase the power of the person but they have to be the opposite gender, virgins and they can NEVER be the offspring of the one welding the magic...it will literally burn out the "user"...which it did to the mom.

It is at least a trilogy if not more than three books.

Read them in college and have been trying to find them ever since. They were a roommates.

12. DarkLight

It takes place in this world too. I guess that means it would be contemporary fantasy...unlike The Hobbit, etc.

13. kellory

14. DarkLight

I've seen that and it mentions another plot from one of the other books in the series (woman made from plants and flowers) but none of the related works looks right.

Thank you though. I'll keep looking.

15. kellory

There are lots of listing for welsh fairy tales, and king Math and his foot holder, mother+son+magic tends to run to tabboo topics. Any key words like "footholder" or "devilkid" that stand out in your memory?

Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
  16. kellory

I am reading it now....;)

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7