A recommendation and warning: Zero Days

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bandit99, Apr 8, 2018.

1. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Your LOGIC Eludes Me as to how your post 18 relates to the original thread.

Ganado likes this.
  2. Byte

Byte Monkey+++

The primary thing to keep in mind with Norse is that they are selling security...their attack map is a tool to do just that. It's a network of honey pots designed to draw attacks and it seems to do it quite well. I'm no Micro$haft fan boy but do you really think the Redmond campus is generating the majority of the attacks against Norse's network of honey pots? I'd venture a WAG at that being a big no. Nor are they allowing outside bad guys to vector attacks through their infrastructure. Now DC...they just might be banging away at the honey pots because a) they don't know any better b) they're bored c) coin toss for a and b. With all the telnet and smtp packets reflected it looks like standard network routing of traffic through the honey pot's routers. The prominent locations represented in the states appear to be major routing centers, Seattle, San Fran, Buffalo and DC. Their map doesn't tell me chit.

I do love Russia on this map though. Somehow they're pretty much the good guys and safe from all cyber intrusion! Amazing... When I first heard about it I was pretty floored. Did a few hours of research and was underwhelmed with their claims about what it shows.

SB21, Bandit99 and HK_User like this.
  3. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

@Tempstar "... how a $39 Routerboard RB-750 could take over his beloved Cisco...Next I went into the SCADA for the generators and chillers since he had those on a DMZ ...Believe it or not, they installed their switches with all of the ports turned up....Yeah, it ain't if but when."
    Yeah, you get it Tempstar. The only thing I am a bit fuzzy about is why you didn't get an immediate raise? You certainly deserved it. Very good demonstration. Obviously, it is not only negligent to leave their ports wide open, it's idiotic and asking for trouble. They were very lucky...a hospital too...

@DarkLight "...99 times out of 99, that weak link is a human being either directly, ie:picking up a thumb drive..."
    Yep! We used to have a program that if a USB was inserted into a computer that it would immediately lock down the computer, log the name of the individual and forward it to the Security Officer, and lock the individual's account. It was a classified network, only Secret, but they were very serious about security and indeed, it was always, 9 times out of 10, the human link that caused a security incident.

@apache235 "While an EMP would surely be a rogue state event (or China or Russia) the hack could come from who knows where. "
    Exactly. And, more than likely, it will be China or Russia, but try to prove it was them. And, then what, what do we do? Fire nukes and/or declare war on a suspicion, a best guess, that they were the culprits? And, look at Stuxnet, the whole world got the code in their hands but can anyone prove it was America and Israel? No. It is the perfect weapon system and the reason it is so classified.

@Byte "The primary thing to keep in mind with Norse is that they are selling security...I do love Russia on this map though. Somehow they're pretty much the good guys and safe from all cyber intrusion!"
    I never heard of Norse before but yeah, exactly, that is the first thing that went through my mind also. As far as the Russians - well - I think there are only a few out there that want to do them harm as oppose to the U.S. Geez, why is that?

HK_User likes this.
  4. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Fear (not to mention the inability to resist arm twisting.)

5. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

They (the Russians) do seem to get their point across even if it means using nuclear isotope-235 or nerve agents no matter where and no matter the consequences. I suppose it does mean they have a true Foreign Policy that they stick too. :) Yeah, I don't think I would want to hack them either! LOL! Better to go after low hanging fruit with better bang for your buck - the good old U.S.A. LOL!!!!!!!

6. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

@Byte are you talking about this map? Norse Attack Map I always wonder if this is a true map or if attacks are more then shown.

@Bandit99 Thanks for the recommendation. It says that Zero Days is available on Hulu. I do not know much about computers and security but I do believe people rely on them way too much. I will never forget the day I was at the hospital visiting someone and the computers went down. One nurse was just sitting there because without her computer she couldn't dispense medications or even know when the last dose was.

7. Byte

Byte Monkey+++

Yep that's the one MM. Pretty to look at but it's not telling me anything useful.

Motomom34 likes this.
  1. Radio
  2. DKR
  3. OldDude49
  4. Asia-Off-Grid
  5. DKR
  6. Oltymer
  7. GhostX
    [MEDIA]
    Thread by: GhostX, Oct 8, 2016, 26 replies, in forum: General Discussion
  8. Asia-Off-Grid
  9. Tikka
  10. phorisc
  11. melbo
  12. Mindgrinder
    [media]
    Thread by: Mindgrinder, Sep 11, 2013, 1 replies, in forum: General Discussion
  13. stg58
  14. Brokor
  15. fortunateson
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7