A Review on the Kanetsune Knife 247, as purchased it was less than desirable.

Discussion in 'Blades' started by HK_User, Mar 16, 2015.

1. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

A beaut indeed! Nice pics, HK. Got a link for it? I have always fancied one of those.

2. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Now that your interested then go to Amazon.com. Amazon.com: kanetsune knife

The problems as I see it, is that the current production is not up to snuff to my expectations.

I found the third knife on ebay and it was stated the owner had purchased it some 10 years ago! I knew then that what I wanted had to be made at a time when more care was given to their production, then again I could be wrong.

Maybe you'll get lucky buying from Amazon or from the Japanese site. Kanetsune Seki | Home

Good luck and enjoy the plethora of knives from Kanetsune Seki, many pages and a lot of cutlery.

Enjoy.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
    kellory likes this.
  3. jojo88

jojo88 Neophyte Monkey

Buckyballs are quite interesting because not many nano-materials used today are naturally occurring. The conditions must be quite extreme though (Lightning strike, meteor, etc.), The material itself is very versatile and is used in a very wide list of industries and areas. My hopes are for longevity experiments though. Would be nice to stick around for a while longer. :D

4. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

For now I suggest this is as good as it gets for a manufactured steel N690 Steel. Appears to be a man made copy of steels produced by nature and then special purposed for men as weapons.
    Kershaw has a recent production flipper knife that is not pricey and is made of N690.
    One source>Kershaw Hype Assisted Opening Knife Black (3.125" Black N690) 1684BLK USA - Blade HQ
    N690 Steel Properties
    The N690 Cobalt Stainless Steel is made in Austria by a company known for making steel that can be made into sharp knives and surgical instruments. This steel is very similar to 440C steel, and it has 1.07% carbon content. N440C steel has a carbon content ranging from .95 – 1.07 percent. The N690 is a high end stainless steel with an alloy that is common in many good knives. It is a durable knife steel that is wear resistant. It is also very hard steel.

This steel contains the important martensitic chromium steel with cobalt, molybdenum and vanadium. This steel can be hardened to a very desirable hardness levels. The surface finish is fine ground or polished.

How N690 Compares
    N690 is sometimes compared to 440C steel. Many knife makers do not believe that 440C is a the best steel for comparison to the N690. The 440C steel is a high-chromium stainless steel. Knives made of 440C steel are easy to resharpen, and it is an excellent steel for its price and performance. (See the top 3 dive knives).

The N690 is a good steel and it is very similar to the VG10 from. One prominent knife maker gave the steel a variety of knife makers’ tests. The results were good. They now have access to large sheets. Knife makers consider the VG10 from Japan to be a better steel for comparison than the 440C. Its overall performance and ability to hold an edge is superior. (Read our machete review).

Manufacturing N690 Steel
    The N690 grade of steel is produced by a small Austrian steel plant that also provides steel for surgical instruments. The Austrian Bohler Company says that the N690 can be made into hardened cutting tools with excellent edge-holding property, such as knife blades. (See how Balisong Knives are rated).

Conclusion
    The N690 steel is so good for making knifes that one prominent knife manufacturer use only N690 steel. This steel has the right carbon content and the right cobalt content. An Austrian steel manufacturer, who is the current source for N690, is considered to be a worldwide leader in their production of N690 steel. Their steel composition is as follows: carbon 1.07%, chromium 17%, cobalt 1.5%, manganese .40%, molybdenum 1.10%, silicon .40% and vanadium .10%. The key to the hardness of N690 is the addition of cobalt in the steel matrix. The cobalt creates uniformity in the structure within the steel. The value of cobalt in a knife blade is it produces a fine edge with excellent edge retention.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  1. 3M-TA3
  2. 3M-TA3
  3. GOG
  4. Andy the Aussie
  5. JLRhiner
  6. Hanzo
  7. Hanzo
  8. Andy the Aussie
    ...it's my excuse anyway... ;) [IMG] [IMG]
    Thread by: Andy the Aussie, Dec 21, 2018, 8 replies, in forum: Blades
  9. STGThndr