A Simple Simian’s Primer on the AR-10 platform and Adams Arms Patrol 308 Battle Rifle Review

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by 3M-TA3, Dec 19, 2015.

Tags:
  1. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

It isn't Case Weight that is the critical factor in putting Cases, into Matching LOTS....
    It is the Case Volume, and the Seating Depth of the Projectile.....
    Once cases are Trimmed to Spec Length, then lots can be made by measuring the Case Volume to the nearest MicoMiliLiter.....
    This is my way of accomplishing this , by filling them with a Liquid, like Alcohol, with a piece of Scotch Tape across the Primer Pocket, and then weighing the Liquid on a .001Grain Scale....
    The expensive part of doing this, is the Time it Takes.... The purchase of the Scale, and a LARGE Polished Granite Block to setup the Scale on, to dampen out the Room Vibrations, when weighing things, at this accuracy.....

Any residual Alcohol will Evaporate out of the case in an Hour or two, at Room Temp, and the amount of that residual, in the case will be very constant, as the surface tension, between the Alcohol and the Brass Case, will be very constant, at that Temperature, when emptying the cases on to the Scale Pan... You do NOT have to worry about clearing the Pan, after each weighment, as you just Hit the ReZero Button, to zero out what is there already.... When the Pan gets full, just dump it out, and ReZero the Scale....

Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
    3M-TA3 likes this.
  2. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

That's an excellent process - I'm curios as to what scale you are using?

3. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I sold it, when I moved to Alaska, and quit my OEM Ammunition Manufacturing Biz, back in '91... But it was a LAB Grade Scale that cost in the Thousand Buck Range.... I am sure they are cheaper, these days... Any good Scale Sales outfit can Quote you on an equivalent Scale....

1. AgentPickle
  2. AgentPickle
  3. AgentPickle
  4. AgentPickle
  5. HK_User
  6. 3M-TA3
  7. Dunerunner
  8. BenP
  9. Oddcaliber
  10. OldDude49
  11. Oddcaliber
  12. Oddcaliber