A stick you shouldn't leave home without...

Discussion in 'Bushcraft' started by Witch Doctor 01, Feb 7, 2016.

1. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Am interesting video on making a Shillelagh or Irish fighting stick ... Starts slow with history but eventually get to the meat of the topic around 3:40

Enjoy

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2016
  2. Gaowlpoop

Gaowlpoop Monkey++

I always carry a walking staff when I go for a walk. It gives me something to twirl around and do upper body exercises with. It is a good dog deterrent. And it give me stability on uneven ground. I also carry a .38 revolver but that's another story.

3. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
    Hanzo likes this.
  4. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

My Shillelagh is an ironwood cane, about as thick as my wrist. It Would do as well as a Louisville Slugger, any day.

5. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Dad collected al kinds of stuff like that I have inherited and the have become useful tools .
    When in the woods I use a walking staff , either one I brought from home, or one made on site,I almost never venture in the bush with out one.
    When going for walks around the neighborhood I have old ski polls that are sharp on the tip .
    We have rattlers here as well as free running dogs , so it's nice to be prepared .
    I cary a collapsable cane on the motorcycle in the event I really need it ,there have been days. so it worth having one around .
    IF your planning on using a cane as a defensive tool then one needs to be in practice doing so, and developing one's grip and speed . otherwise one is supplying the foe with more weapons.

6. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

My new cane is coming along nicely, I am about ready to trim to length and then I'll post a few pictures.

Witch Doctor 01 and kellory like this.
  7. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

kellory likes this.
  8. chelloveck

Witch Doctor 01 and kellory like this.
  9. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

arleigh and kellory like this.
  10. chelloveck

Note, that these images were made, most likely by a glass plate camera with long exposures, these poses were not shot as real time action photos.

11. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

Japanese Kendo or stick fighting is quite effective also.

As is the French Canne de combat or Canne de Combat et Bâton,

Same as any weapon, one needs to practice. Or many things work; if one knows how to use them effectively.

arleigh and chelloveck like this.
  12. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Dug it out for pics. This would work as well as any Indian war club. 20160412_192343.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  13. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

A walking cane is quite useful when one doesn't want to shoot the threat.

Mine is ash about 4' long and 3" in diameter. Most dogs respect it or maybe our Pitts. Either way, it's a lot better than a 100gr 9mm at 1300+ FPS.

chelloveck and kellory like this.
  14. chelloveck

A lot quieter too,
    Doesn't run out of ammunition,
    No moving parts (other than the wielder) to malfunction,
    Requires no licenses, permits, or background checks,
    Are in most circumstances an acceptable everyday carry option in the community,
    Has multiple alternative survival and non survival uses,
    Offers greater reach as a defensive/offensive weapon than one's limbs

However,

Its utility as a defensive/offensive weapon very much depends upon the knowledge, skill and training of the person wielding it.

arleigh, Ganado and Witch Doctor 01 like this.
  15. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I suppose it is NOT worth noting that is a truism, regardless of the weapon?

16. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

@chelloveck
    It's more that I don't wish to kill a dog for simply being a dog more than anything else. I take killing any living creature quite seriously.

It is reach as well as it is the ability to damage. If you punch something as hard as you can; it will not do the same amount of damage as my stick.
    Yes, I am quite adept at martial arts; if that is relevant as you don't know me except as a unknown value on the internet. That being said, I have a better read on you than you do of me.

My left had bears quite a few scars because a dog caught its collar in a crack in the boards of a deck. It would have been quite easy to kill the animal and I didn't. The poor thing was choking to death. I finally got my weight on it and my daughter's S/O freed it.

I doubt you understand what I am saying which is unimportant.

17. chelloveck

Your truism of my truism is certainly true! ;)

However, underscoring the point that without training, a stick, is pretty much just a stick is worth making note of for others new to the prepper scene .

There are plenty of people who own guns without the necessary training, and practice to make them useful ...it's the training and practice that converts a paper weight gathering dust, as much a danger to its user as to a perp; into a weapon that could save one's own life or the lives of others.

Our audience does not just comprise experienced preppers, but also visitors here who are curious and wish to fill in the gaps in their knowledge.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
  18. chelloveck

Although quoting you, what I wrote was directed at the broader audience, than you specifically. I make no assumptions about your motivations or your abilities in using a walking stick for any purpose. That said, your contributions to the thread and mine tend to complement each other, rather than being divergent.

19. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

Glad you see the complimenting.

20. chelloveck

I think I'm being trolled, yet again. ;)

Edit: complementary angles aren't quite the same thing as complimentary angles. :)

that said...my reply met both meanings. (y)

We may have differing views on many subjects @Tikka, but that does not mean that I don't hold you in good regard.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
  1. Yard Dart
  2. Bishop
  3. AndyinEverson
  4. Asia-Off-Grid
  5. Asia-Off-Grid
  6. Asia-Off-Grid
  7. Asia-Off-Grid
  8. Asia-Off-Grid
  9. Asia-Off-Grid
  10. chelloveck
  11. chelloveck