A stupid simple hand cart for hauling gear

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by Fishwalker, Mar 28, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Polymule

Polymule Monkey

@Motomom34
    The handle is 37" from the ground (counter height). It can obviously be held a few inches higher or lower without any noticeable difference in how the load feels.

@ghrit
    I appreciate the advice. This is something we have looked at extensively. As designed, the Polymule can be parked pretty much on any terrain. Sure, the handle may not always lay flush with the ground... but it doesn't need to...it can still function as intended. We considered other Kickstand variants but all of these added weight and cost to the cart. Most people are happy enough to spend a few moments finding a good "parking spot". The cart's design minimizes any effects of loading "the wrong way" (AKA too much weight in the back / front). Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it could still be done. Someone will eventually put an ice chest in the back with 80 lbs of ice and 'just' a sleeping bag in the front. With a little common sense, this can EASILY be avoided.

All that being said, every product has limitations. We decided to make compromises so that our utility cart was affordable and simple. We could have made an amazing titanium / poly version with a million bells and whistles...but that cart would cost $2000.

Thanks. I DO invite critiques, what do I have to lose?

DuxDawg and Motomom34 like this.
  2. Polymule

Polymule Monkey

Also, we are 54% funded as of today (only eight days in) we WILL meet our goal. Just had a gentlemen call me yesterday. Wants to order 15 of them.

Fishwalker and Motomom34 like this.
  3. Polymule

Polymule Monkey

53percent.

Motomom34 and oldawg like this.
  4. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I appreciate the answer. Congratulations on such a successful drive to get your product produced.

5. Polymule

Polymule Monkey

Thanks!

Motomom34 likes this.
  6. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I found on Gear Junky a review of the cart. Buried in the comments was-
    Note the slots on the lip of the handcart, purposely built to allow wood slats/siding to be added to deepen the handcart as needed

That is a great feature that makes a difference. Especially if you are planning on hauling camping gear etc.

DuxDawg likes this.
  7. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Only video I could find of cart in use w/setup.

I would have thought "extensive prototype testing" would have generated hours and hours of vid documenting the testing.

Nonetheless, the one video has some minimal 'how to' parts - so worth watching.

Motomom34 likes this.
  8. Polymule

Polymule Monkey

We are a start-up, professional filming is expensive. The footage you see is 1/20th of what was actually filmed and what was actually filmed is 1/1000 of actual testing time.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
  9. DKR

I don't need 'professional' video. I watch UToob a lot, a simple, even badly done, 'here is the cart in actual use' would - I would think, be helpful for folks looking at the rig.

I've seen a number of LDS 'youth groups" going on walkabout pulling large handcarts - and you get an idea very quickly on the use of the cart. Providing several of these carts for a cross country trip - and running a video camera would provide a useful product demo in real world conditions.

I get the professional video = better fund raising. I also get a better feel for a product when I see it in use over several days, even if the video is of less-than-professional. quality.

I'm not attacking you - I'm trying to make the point that a single video - an advertisement if you will, limits your exposure. Why not put out some raw video of the cart in use? I don't see a downside.

It is, of course to do with as you wish, and I wish you good luck.

Motomom34 likes this.
  10. Polymule

Polymule Monkey

I appreciate your advice. I don't feel attacked. If anything I'm more like you. I personally research the heck out of everything I buy. I can understand where your coming from as far as wanting to see more footage. Thanks!

Motomom34 likes this.
  11. DKR

Consider a non-affiliated 'review' of the cart - like this one

short, "non-professional" (more believable?) it shows several features and makes it plain how the thing works. I'll admit my personal preference is a low to the ground, wheel axles supported on both sides, made of metal tubes carts. It is what I own and use. They are also very bicycle-centric.

I spent 5 summers working a "girls camp" in rural Alaska, and all their camping gear was moved with the poly carts like I posted earlier. A bonus was the rain had no effect on the carts. Actually, two carts - one atop of the other make a good rain resistant storage area. Poly is a good choice for many things.

Good luck. Drop by and let us know when you go into production.

By the way, do these carts float and if so, how much do they carry - if used as a raft for fording/lake crossing?

12. Polymule

Polymule Monkey

The current version will probably float, but I wouldn't have the fondest idea how much it is rated to carry until we can do some testing on that. I wouldn't be comfortable advertising that feature at this point. If we rotomold future versions, its possible they will float like a dingy.

DuxDawg, oldawg and Motomom34 like this.
  13. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

So is it going to have pneumatic tires?

Use grease-able wheel bearings, that way water and dirt can be forced out. The solid rubber tires I added to my tatical yard wagon have grease zerks and ball bearings.

I was working on an industrial grade barrel dolly the other day. It looks like who ever made this made everything out of off the shelf parts so you can break it and fix it with a trip to the hardware store. The wheel axle was half inch stock, so any little equipment wheel would fit it. Try and design it to be user repairable, where possible.

Motomom34 and BTPost like this.
  14. Polymule

Polymule Monkey

Great advice. Really, there is very little maintenance involved in the design. Bearings are standard, axle is 3/4", these are non-pneumatic tires.. No-flat...likely with a PU rubber tread. We are currently thinking sealed precision bearings will be fine, but I'm aware of the frustration these can cause if you plan to be in water all day long... I'll look into those "greese buddy" types.

15. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Sealed bearing are alright as long as they don't get water or dirt in them. I live in a high dirt and grit area. I experience accelerated wear on chain saw bar and chains and mower blades.
    Other people that live in the Pacific NW or new England wont have grit but they will have lots of rust and moisture.
    Sealed will probably be better overall for dust, being able to push water out with greas-able would be better for wet.
    For example for my vehicles when it was time to replace U-joints I went against what OE recommend, which were sealed units and opted for grease-able ones.
    They are a little messier and require me to remember that they need to be greased.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
  16. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Yes. For this application, bearing buddies like on boat trailers are WAY overkill. Re-greasable is the way to fly.
    Your ass, if you aren't careful with product liability. Spend a couple extra dollars building it, make it live long and safely, and you'll sell a lot more.

Polymule likes this.
  17. Polymule

Polymule Monkey

I meant what do I have to lose by getting critiques. :p We have set aside $15K for a third party engineering firm to look over our design. That makes it a triple engineering check. Us, the manufacturer, and the third party engineering firm. If that isn't enough, then I don't know what else will work...

oldawg likes this.
  18. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Question on your up hill assist.
    does it work full time ,
    can it be disengaged, and
    switching direction, instead of pulling the cart up hill can it be pushed. using the same assist ?
    If not , take a look at an old hand operated pipe threader's cog system .

19. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

If you need a Reference to a Good Engineering Firm in your area, call. John @ GMH Engineering in Orem... He is a Licensed Professional Engineer, as are his Partners...

20. Polymule

Polymule Monkey

@arleigh
    Yes, this hardware basically functions like a socket wrench. Two modes however. "ON" and "OFF" . OFF will allow free movement of the cart in any direction (forward & backward). "ON" will restrict reverse movement.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7