A stupid simple hand cart for hauling gear

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by Fishwalker, Mar 28, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Polymule

Polymule Monkey

Thanks for the suggestion.

2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

OK for an uphill push (but not for an uphill pull) what do you do to retard downhill or to have a rest part way down?

One thing learned in the woods and trails, pulling uphill is easier than pushing. And, I don't much care for a load to follow me down, if I trip or slip, I get run over. Not fun. Don't ask.

Polymule and Dunerunner like this.
  3. Polymule

Polymule Monkey

Yikes that doesn't sound fun. The UPHILL Assist mechanism will work if you PUSH the crossbar uphill and if you PULL the crossbar uphill. Like you mentioned though, it wont work if your going downhill (although we are going to look at this one more time before production, we might be able to incorporate a partial brake). I highly recommend anyone intending to go downhill with the Polymule to first "get outside of it" and let it roll down in front of you while holding on to the handle. That way if you do loose control of it, your not going to get run over.

DuxDawg likes this.
  4. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I've seen a system that is a bar across the handle that is a spring loaded brake so that as you release it on the grip the brake is engaged.
    It could be cable controlled so that it does not interfere with how the handle is manipulated in the cart.
    To me this might be more equitable than the cog gear system .
    Real brakes too would add the feature of feathering so the assent or decent can be maneuvered making the brakes work for you no matter which direction your going negotiating odd terrain , and not having to stop and change things in transit. Since you have no suspension the brakes can be simple Much like a Conestoga with rubbing blocks on the wheels .

DuxDawg likes this.
  5. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Or, this...

[​IMG]

chelloveck and arleigh like this.
  6. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Hydraulics in stead of cable is a great idea.

chelloveck likes this.
  7. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Just as long as you don’t spring a Leak....

chelloveck likes this.
  8. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

If you knew the punishment mountain bikes endure especially on down hill racing ,you'd choose hydraulic over cable too.

chelloveck likes this.
  9. Polymule

Polymule Monkey

All good suggestions. I see us providing some kind of downhill brake. If we can't work it out in the current design, we will likely make it an "ADD-on Kit". I personally would want one but many consumers would rarely use it and therefore it doesn't make sense to include it as a standard kit.

Thanks for your ongoing interest. Learn more about Polymule here: POLYMULE: The All-Terrain Cart With Uphill Assist

10. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Much as I like bicycle braking systems ,the simplistic rubbing block is more practical to fit in the design of the cart as it stands .
    Provide it as an add on . or in place of the wheel cog .
    Face it ,If the cog is all you've got and you stumble down hill the cart continues on it's way .
    If you have a braking system dependent on holding onto the cart, and you stumble , it stops the moment you let go, or it might even assist you in preventing a fall.
    I may implement this feature on my own unit.

chelloveck likes this.
  11. Polymule

Polymule Monkey

The brake design we are considering incorporates the idea of a "dead-mans brake". Which like you mentioned, if you are to "let go" it immediately locks up. If you let go a little bit, it acts like a brake.

DuxDawg, arleigh and chelloveck like this.
  12. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Mine has 4 wheels but primarily only the big wheels do the work, the 2 smaller wheels are only for stationary positions for loading an unloading .
    I realize that your handle is used for vertical stationary stabilization however if the handle was separated so one side stayed ready for use and the other could be in the stable position things like doing gardening would require less manipulation .
    If of course there is a long treck the handles could be joined for the journey .

13. Fishwalker

Fishwalker Monkey

Quick update on the product campaign for the Polymule cart. They are currently 99% funded on Indiegogo. Basically, this means they will go into production. There are 6 days left if you want to get in on the introductory pricing.

POLYMULE: The All-Terrain Cart With Uphill Assist

14. Dunerunner

@Fishwalker Did you incorporate any of our suggested modifications or improvements on the original?

15. Fishwalker

Fishwalker Monkey

I am not the owner nor am I associated with the company. In fact, I've never met them before. I just wanted to gather people's feedback as well as see the product come to fruition. A typical person would spend much more money on a similar product if they were to do it themselves, not to mention the time invested. Maybe @Polymule can chime in on that one.

But, I do know that one of the first things they are working on is a 4-wheeler hitch attachment. The campaign did hit its funding goal today and will go into production soon.

Motomom34 likes this.
  16. Dunerunner

Well, geez, Fish! You sure hock it pretty hard not to be affiliated with Polymule. My mistake, I just assumed you were an associate because of all the "Thanks for the suggestion" statements and that this is the thread that gets the majority your interest on the forum.

Last edited: May 23, 2018
    Fishwalker likes this.
  17. Dr2511

Dr2511 Neophyte Monkey

i just ask you this. Do you know anyone that has one? This is a scam. Years ago this was at expos and lots of promises were made. No carts were delivered. Now they are back and people are falling for the scam again

18. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Polymule is not a scam. The only way you could get one was to become a backer. They do not manufacture these in an on-going basis. Perhaps you can find one second hand, but I haven't been able to.

19. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Polymule - RESERVE NOW

I guess they do these in batches. The site videos are worthless as they are all shown in static positions, not in use.

How about getting the real deal?
    [​IMG]
    Mormon Hand Cart - Amish Wares
    $900 USD but has steel wheels, square axle and bearings. See link for full description. 4X4X1 foot beds.

The 'real carts came in more than one size...
    [​IMG]

Brokor and Zimmy like this.
  20. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

You can build them yourselves using plans from Mother Earth News, Popular Mechanics, and Popular Science, for a LOT less!

Zimmy, Brokor and DKR like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7