A Toast to Halffast - Lights Out

Discussion in 'Survival Reading Room' started by midmo, Dec 9, 2010.

1. midmo

midmo Monkey+

Apologies to those who visit multiple boards, but I just posted this on another site and would like to spread it out a bit if that isn't inappropriate:

OK, so maybe this is a little corny, but I've got a coupl'a beers in me so what the hell.

A great many of us in the survival/preparedness "community" have read Halffast's Lights Out. Some, like me, consider it a catalyst; one of the forces that eventually helped lift a veil of ignorance, denial, or apathy from our eyes, and helped us realize that while life-changing events may not be inevitable, they are certainly possible. In many it became a call to action, driving a new conviction to do whatever we could to protect ourselves and our loved ones from any emergency, be it something as great as the crash of society due to an EMP attack, or as small as a car sliding off an icy road on the way home from work. In some, again like me, that in turn lead to even more... a desire to live more simply, more efficiently, practically, and healthfully. We look at our lifestyles and realize that, if worse ever comes to worse, we need to be able to take care of ourselves, and not depend on someone else to do it for us.

That, my friends, is profound.

In thanks and recognition, I'd like to propose an "Internet Toast" to Halffast, on Monday, December 13, at 05:00 Z (21:00 EST, 20:00 CST) to celebrate the imminent print publication of Lights Out, and hopefully the equally imminent fame and fortune that the author so clearly deserves. At that time, I'll pop the top on a beer, and say "To Halffast and Lights Out!" (yes, I know his real name is David, but the book was written under the pseudonym so...). I'd ask you to join me with the beverage of your choice, if you are so inclined.

It's only a small gesture of appreciation, of course, and not worth a whit in the physical world. But it's all I got... other than, of course, to buy the book(s) which goes without saying.

If you don't feel that this is some kind of stupid, overblown sentimental response, please feel free to post this request in other boards you may frequent. The more the merrier.

And to Halffast - David if I may - thank you.

2. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Nice.

I just spoke to David today and he's enjoying some Firearms Instruction while proofing a real live book in his hands.

3. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Of course I will toast.

4. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Count me in, it's on the calendar with a reminder.

5. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

a toast ... Skill not Skoal...

6. Hulka73

Hulka73 Monkey+++

in case no one reads the "other boards"........it's official! Here's a link where you can order Lights Out. I just ordered a copy, and have my fingers crossed for winning an autographed copy too.
    Buy The Book

7. fireplaceguy

fireplaceguy Monkey+

Good for him! It feels good and he richly deserves it. Congratulations, David!

8. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member

What a nice gesture.
    [boozingbuddies]

9. Falcon15

Falcon15 Falco Peregrinus

SKAL! Prost! Cheers! [booze]Saw the post that "Lights Out" is listed on Amazon! I'm buying my copy today! TEXANS ROCK!

10. Idahoser

Idahoser Monkey+++ Founding Member

I shall light a Padron Serie 1926 I've been saving for a special occasion, and have a glass of Maker's Mark for the first time to celebrate this occasion.

11. midmo

midmo Monkey+

4-hour bump!
    A modest tribute, to be sure, but a tribute none the less.

12. smk7997

smk7997 Monkey+

SWEET!

Just ordered a couple copies...should arrive by Christmas! Can't wait to get and read again/share copies. Hope to get a signed copy as well.

13. Idahoser

Idahoser Monkey+++ Founding Member

Me too two! SCORE!!!! I'm so happy!

14. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

I bought my copy today!

15. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Cheers, David.

16. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member

May your words warm the hearts and alert the minds of your readers.[booze]

17. Halffast

Halffast Wannabe Hack Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Thanks so much for all of the well wishes, guys. I really appreciate them!

18. Starrgazer

Starrgazer Monkey+

Congrats, I am so happy for you.

I read the pdf twice. Never in my life have I ever read something twice.

It took me twice as long to read it the first time, than it would take me to read most books. I kept stopping and staring into space, putting myself in the place of these people. What would I do..where would I go?

Two months after I read it the first time, I read One Second After. I found it disappointing..after reading Lights Out.

I hope you sell millions and millions of copies!!

19. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

20. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

yeah! my copy should get here later this week and I'll bring it with me to read on the plane when I go on my government sponsored "vacation".

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7