A view out the back door this morning....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AD1, Feb 13, 2016.

1. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

I think they took a wrong turn at the beach in Kihei.......

image.

Actually the Tempe Town Lake is drained for maintenance and our community allows them to use our lake for practice. They are yelling shit in Hawaiian [grlft]

2. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Well, you know the Polynesians crossed the oceans in canoes...

kellory and AD1 like this.
  3. William Warren

William Warren Monkey+++

They crossed transcontinental distances with nothing but paddles, word-of-mouth training, and conch shells for navigation. No joke, believe it or not, etc.

Sometimes, when I turn on the GPS in my car, I wonder how much we've lost with all that we've gained.

William Warren

Yard Dart and Hanzo like this.
  4. duane

duane Monkey+++

Read a novel by Mr. Shute in which the main characters arrive in a sail boat in Tahiti after crossing from Hawaii and the authorities question the skipper as to how he had got there as he had no radio, or charts, or navigation instruments. He said that his mother had been born in Tahiti and his father was a sailor and he always wanted to go back and see where she came from. The French asked him if his mother or father had taught him navigation and its secrets, he said, "Nah, I just followed the airplanes!". I think it was called "Trustee from the Tool room" if I remember right.

5. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

They learn to navigate by reading the stars and sky. And also by reading the ocean.

Cruisin Sloth likes this.
  6. duane

duane Monkey+++

I have seen pictures of wave pattern maps made of string and twigs that showed how the islands would distort the waves and they used to find land when they were brought close enough by the stars and that they also used the flight patterns of some birds. They were experts at all the little details in their environment that we no longer know how to read

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  7. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Sounds a lot like a good tracker. Use multiple sources, to build a complete picture in your mind, and confirm your theory with each new data point.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  8. duane

duane Monkey+++

You are totally right. In fact a really good tracker may not even realize all the little details he is observing. He is so in tune with the environment, that he notices what isn't there as well as what is.

Gator 45/70 and kellory like this.
  9. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Tracking is one of my best hunting skills. I find what others have lost. Most folks couldn't track muddy footprints across an open parkinglot. Most track only by blood, and ignore traces, such as hair, transfer, scat, leaf placement, grasses show travel direction, prints. You can even tell the sex from the bedding area. (Observation )

Gator 45/70 and duane like this.
  10. William Warren

William Warren Monkey+++

Yes, but they used tools as well: a conch shell with a hole drilled in one side would form a natural level when filled with water, and the location of the hole would determine the angle at which a navigator knew he was at the proper latitude when sighting the North Star. After that, he would turn east or west, and stay at that latitude until he arrived. Thus, they sometimes navigated in triangles, over thousands of miles, and set a standard for practical steerage which Bowditch admired.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  11. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Was not disagreeing with you on instruments. I wouldn't know enough about that. Just saying their main navigation is from their understanding of and ability to read the heavens, oceans, winds and nature.

duane and Gator 45/70 like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7