A Walk About

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mortimer Adler Moose, Dec 3, 2012.

1. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Singing is the last thing I'd be doing when fired upon....though I might be thinking of the infantryman's basic drill.....run...down....crawl (to a covered fire position)....observe ....sight....and fire! ...that and making myself the smallest, most inconspicuous target possible.

2. -06

-06 Monkey+++

Getting slightly off thread but have caught myself humming "Closer My God to Thee" in a tight spot or two. Had forgotten about it. Strange how one puts things out of their minds.

3. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

I'm not hostile towards mooses, (even ones who call Obummer a buddy). Feel free to visit, but friends come through doors and gates, not through windows or over the fence.
    Halooo the fire and come into the light, but understand, we will repel boarders, if needed.

4. Here I was enjoying my walk about when the peace and quiet was interrupted by the sound of a train whistle coming from my phone. There's only one person who has that ringtone - my old buddy Seacowboys. Seems he was in a bit of a mess on some barge project and was asking, nay, pleading for me to get over to the Mobile river just as fast as these old haunches could carry me. Poor fellow sounded like he was in quite a pickle so I took off, not even bothering to pack my few meager belongings.

Last time I dropped in on the old man, he had the nerve to sic his goldenweinerpinscher on me, then, dressed in the silliest moose hat I have ever seen, he strolled over to a gun case and pulled out the biggest, baddest rifles I have ever seen. He did this all with a smile on his face. I wasn't sure if he was smiling because it was going to make such a good story to pass around a campfire or if he was thinking "moose steak." In the end, we both puffed out our manly chests, grunted a few bellows and decided there was nothing to do but become friends. That's how I ended up on his "call in the event of emergency" list.

Since he never calls just to chat, I figured he must need me to save his hide. Moose can move pretty fast when they have to so in no time at all, I was almost in Mobile. When I ran out of fields to cross, I raced down the middle of Rt 10. Luckily, the drivers were pretty alert and swerved around me but I did catch a few familiar gestures directed toward me and I could almost hear the screams of a few beautiful southern belles.

When I finally got there, what did I find????? Just a bunch of good ole boys, working the cranes to lift steel like it was Lincoln Logs.

He wasn't in trouble at all, just having a bit of fun playing with his big boy toys and wanted me to see it.

About all I can say is "Sea, payback's brutal. Gird your loins man."

Mobile River with Darrell.JPG

BTPost likes this.
  5. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I like the hard-hat Moose! OSHA, you know?

BTPost likes this.
  6. I would have skipped it if you hadn't insisted. I think you just wanted to see how silly I would look

7. That was an interesting day but after sipping a few Jack Daniels and getting a good night's rest, I decided it was time for me to be on my way. A lot of miles to travel and a lot of people to see as I wend my way up to Excursion Inlet.

I decided my first stop would be to see if I could find Gator 45/70. In his SM profile, he says his location is 1n a cowpasture near da creaux. Hmmm Googles says Louisiana cow numbers in 2011 totaled 561,627 with a reported 11,015 producers. Those were up from 558,459 cows but down from 11,149 producers reported in 2010. That's a lot of cow pastures and I haven't the slightest idea where da creaux might be. Guess I'll just mosey on down and see what I can find.

cowpasture 1.JPG cowpasture 2.JPG

I've checked out quite a number of cow pasture but no one seems to have heard of Gator 45/70. Maybe he meant a farm, an alligator farm....maybe his name is a little clue.

Alligator farm.JPG

I think I hit the jackpot! I ran into a shooting buddy of Gator and he told me I could find him on an offshore rig. Off to the ocean I guess.

there must be an oil rig someplace.JPG
    There must be an oil rig around here someplace!

Victory was mine...or so I thought.

on oilrig.JPG

I got all the way out here only to be told by this fine burly fellow that Gator had gone home for a few days. I was prepared to stay and wait for his return but it seems these Roughnecks don't really want to share their quarters with a Moose. I was a little insulted but its not the first time I'm encountered species prejudice. They unceremoniously put me into a row boat and suggested rather firmly that I get my hide back to land.

moose rowing out to oilrig to see gator.JPG

I decided to take their advice. I've done about all I can to find Gator but I think its time for me to move along. Sorry I missed you Gator. Next time, maybe you could give me a clue or two!

BTPost and Seacowboys like this.
  8. Seacowboys

Find Sherlock Breaux ansd ax him...

9. Seacowboys

You can find anything in LA by asking a Thibadeaux, any Thibadeaux because everyone of them knows everything and you can't tell them nothing. You could have looked for an old Sherriff's Detective, Dave Robacheaux,over in New Iberia but he got killed a while back but if you happen to make it to Zula, Montana you might look up David Lee Burke, I have heard he brought Dave back to life for another adventure or two...
    P.S.
    Gator claims to make the best Gumbo in LA but don't waste your time trying to find it by taste, you'll only get fat because everybody in LA claims they make the best gumbo.

10. F. Ticious

F. Ticious Monkey+

Moose, where are you Buddy? Mr. Ghrits is sorry he sprayed you, you startled him during an intimate moment with a feral cat he's been courting. It was all a misunderstanding.

11. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Why moose..There you are, I missed the thread since i'm on a intra-net blackout at work, I'll work on bypassing that lil' problem when i return.
    Gumbo you say..Hmm, How about a deer/pork sausage/chicken gumbo ?
    Looking for Dacreaux ? Look for the town named after the french word for Carrion Creaux...You'll be close...lol
    Crawfish season in a few month's...Hope a Moose can peel his own.

12. Frankie - great to hear from you bud. Sorry I was so testy about my encounter with Mr Ghrits and I do apologize for the intrusion into his love life. I guess I better be a little more vocal on my approach next time.

I'm wandering around Florida at the moment, enjoying the mild winter weather. I'll try to stop in before I head North to Excursion Inlet. Warm the menagerie that I'll be coming through. No spraying, shooting, snarling, or snake pits please.

13. Gator - I expect a real southern meal when I get back down your way. In case you didn't guess, I'm a big eater so plan on keeping it coming

14. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

shovel (400x400). I can hook you up Moose...We have these !!!

15. alen wast

alen wast Monkey

At the time of the peak of the rut bulls are attracted and called for a romance which is undeniable. These are the activities which are hormone driven. Event of Moose Hunting in the late season offers some tips which guide us. There are moose in the Shiras, Alaska, Canada or Yukon which attract the bulls for much of the year. It is their normal instinct.
    Moose is very big animal. They have huge weight and they have big curly horns to make the people injured. Hunting for this animal is one of the popular games which people like. There are so many hunter associations who provide the hunting service for such animal. They charge some amount for hunting this animal. This sort of hunting is one of the popular games of the hunters. This is considered to be the best outdoor activities.
    Moose hunting is preferred in the Ontario, Saskatchewan and Manitoba. There are outfitters in these location are extremely good moose hunters. They bagged trophies. There is lots of Bull Moose with heavy weight and they are harvested. They have 100% success stories. There are legal permit for this sort of hunting and there are sub permit for hunting this animal also. This animal may be hunted with the rifle, shotgun, bow and arrow, muzzleloader, handgun etc.
    If anybody wants to go out for a vacation he can select moose hunting as his outdoor activity. Booking for the moose hunting should be done in advance for the next year. There are limited seats for the Bull Moose. Adult tag is the most preferred but the calf tag is also preferred because moose calf tastes best over there. According to the biologists of the state wildlife moose population is not much high. Hunters killed many moose and they got permit issued. Every year there are many moose that have high weight. Trophy of the hunters is there for successful moose hunting.

16. [wannamesswitme]

This is exactly how wars start! Now I'll have to call a secret meetings of the council of North American Moose for a consensus on a declaration of war against moose hunting humanoids. This could get very ugly.

chelloveck and oldawg like this.
  17. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Go ahead, Mort... Have a "Conference".... Talk your fool Antlers off... Wait, Oh that is right, they fell off months ago... after the Rut.... Us Bush Folks, will still be having "Mooseburger Help, No matter what you Moose decide... ..... MMMV.....

18. Listen up, Elmer Fudd! Rocky and Bullwinkle have survived for decades despite of the best Boris and Natasha could throw at them. I prey by night, like a owl; swift and silent and i have ordered a complete set of moose fangs and a Ginsu knife and fork, along with my own special recipe, "BTPOST Helper", so be advised I am hungry and I am coming after you fat boy!

chelloveck, BTPost and Seacowboys like this.
  19. scrapman21009

scrapman21009 Chupacabra Hunter

yeah, but you don't have a raccoon to pull your butt outta the fire, and no offense to Mr. Grits, but I don't think that a skunk is as smart as a raccoon.

20. Seacowboys

Rocky is a flying Squirrel, not a raccoon. Rocky Raccoon was a stupid Beatle's song from their "Wow, we discovered drugs" days.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7