a work in progress.

Discussion in 'Blades' started by fish, Dec 3, 2010.

1. fish

fish Monkey+

i found a nice antler on a big red deer on exmoor last autumn,so not being one to miss an opportunity i made the most of the fresh carcass and had ,amongst other things ,the antlers.

so last week i shaped and carved the handle shape and today i set about doing some scrimshaw,not the best i know ,but my eyes int what they were!

its supposed to be a Norwegian whaler circa 1860,set in the Arctic ocean with arctic tundra in the background.

[​IMG]

thanks for looking.

2. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Always nice to an artist at work...

3. BAT1

BAT1 Cowboys know no fear

Fish that is beautiful work. What kind of steel will you slip in there? Damascus would be gorgeous.

4. hedger

hedger Monkey+

Admiring Your Artistry

Since I do not have anything close to the fine level of artistry that you display, all I can do is admire your very fine work, Fish.

Thanks for sharing!

5. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

Very beautiful work I wish I had 10% of your artistic skill.

6. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Nice work!

but there should be a monkey hanging off the crows nest...

7. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Look's very nice...

8. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

You know, we have a lot of talented people on this forum, but I'd never have guessed a scrimshander would turn up. Very well done, no excuse for your eyes, none needed. Wow!!

9. fish

fish Monkey+

you guys are too kind!,problem is i see all the flaws in the work i do,but then i suppose that helps. ide like to do more scrimshaw but rarely get round to it with 4 lil kids running off with everything!lol

10. INRICK

INRICK Monkey+

very nice indeed

11. azprospector

azprospector Happy Desert Rat

Man, that makes us guys that can hardly draw a straight line with a ruler, Really Jealous. Fantastic work, can't wait to see it finished.

12. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

Fish, I have to say that you are certainly considered an artist. "Craftsman" just wouldn't do your work justice.

I just read an article recently in Backwoodsman about scrimshaw. Very interesting stuff....

13. Ladyhawke

Ladyhawke Monkey+

I love it, makes me think of my childhood on cape cod

14. Ferret1959

Ferret1959 Monkey+

Only if you are from Hartlepool, England.[W1]

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7