AA AAA rechargeable batteries?

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by 5artist5, Feb 14, 2012.

Tags:
  1. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Kids are great about "talking green" (what's your carbon footprint? everyone needs to drive hybrids, recycle, ect) but in truth, they are the ones who leave the windows and doors open with the air on, the TV running, and the light on while they drive a block to their friend's house for 6 hours. I got tired of paying for it. I challenged my two kids, and 4 others who are constantly at my place, to actually try to think green. Challenge accepted. They must produce enough power to charge a 12vt battery, by solar, wind, thermal, hydro. or kinetic.....(WITHOUT SPENDING ANY MONEY) they must recycle, reuse, scrounge, for what they need. If they must buy a part, they must recycle cans to buy it. They can not be out of pocket. They all chose solar. So we are collecting broken solar yard lights. They harvest the solar cells, we grade them, for current and voltage, match them with like outputs, and build solar panels out of them. So far, three panel are complete. each will charge a 12 marine gelcell, (slowly, they are low quality). And I now have hundreds of AA rechargeable batteries. I use an Ultralast Green 8 slot charger (4 channel) and 2 Duracell 4 slot chargers. All three chargers are AAA/AA chargers. All our cameras, flashlights, GPS, and handheld electronics run off one of these two sizes.
    The solar panels charge the 3 gelcells,(in a bank) the output is routed through a power inverter, to the chargers. Three panels to go.

Seawolf1090 and BTPost like this.
  2. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

The Green Challenge. Good for them and especially you. The mind set and skills to salvage, improvise, adapt and invent are some of the most important survival training they could receive. Fantastic.

Regarding chargers several good ones were mentioned. 4-5 years ago "she who must be obeyed" and I got into the photography business in a part time way. Weddings, family events, seniors, the usual fair. Have about 80-90 Nimh AAs for lots of flash units, radio triggers, etc. I have two Maha MH-C9000 chargers. Pretty happy with them, just way too many button presses are needed if you want something other than the default charge settings.

The biggest thing with chargers is if they charge each battery independently or if two are charged in series. If it can charge 1 or 3 batteries then it is likely not charging batteries in series. The issue with series charging is both batteries get the same charging current but if one is less charged than the other then either one is undercharged or the other gets excessive charging. Also when they are used one may get taken to a deeper level of discharge. This stuff can reduce the life of the batteries.

If you have a small backpacking solar charger are a some other that can only charge batteries in pairs, this charging problem can be mitigated. Create pairs of batteries, mark with paint, and always use these together and charge together. That way they always discharged the same amount and charge the same amount. Some devices that use one or three batteries still present a problem but limit it to the just a few batteries used in those devices exclusively.

The recent trends do see low self charging designs and high capacity are tending to converge for NiMh but of course the polymer ion designs are coming along. They are lighter weight and pack more capacity in the same size package but if size and weight aren't critical requirements then are they warranted over the Nimh? Just thinkin, maybe not.

AT

3. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

"Create pairs of batteries, mark with paint, and always use these together and charge together. That way they always discharged the same amount and charge the same amount. Some devices that use one or three batteries still present a problem but limit it to the just a few batteries used in those devices exclusively. "

That is one method that works fairly well. Another, is to check the voltage with a multi-meter and charge pairs with similar voltages.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2015
  4. goinpostal

goinpostal Monkey+++

I've been having great luck with the 16X Rayovac NiMH AA,and AAA batteries.
    They are cheaper than the comparable Duracell,and Energizer rechargables,they power stronger/longer,and have a much longer over all lifespan.
    I have some that are several years old,and the newest are about 8mo old.None have deminished noticably,and they all get regular recharge/reuse.I have about two dozen that I cycle through on a regular basis.
    I either recharge them with 4 PV Solar yard lights on the dash,a cheap two AA/AAA USB charger,or my cheap Duracell two AA/AAA 110v quick charger.
    Matt

5. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I am looking at stocking up on rechargeable batteries. Eneloop seem to last but since this thread was made in 2012, I would like an up-date on if the batteries lasted. Still able to charge and hold a charge? Eneloop is quite pricey so opinions would be appreciated. Also- Amazon has these Tenergy High Capacity NiMH Rechargeable anyone ever used them?

6. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Still using my Eneloop XX's from back then with no issue. (y)

Just asked my Electrical Engineer (and battery nerd) about Tenergy and he replied 'meh, Eneloops are the best'
    It looks like the XX line is now called Pro: Amazon.com: eneloop pro: Electronics

Motomom34 likes this.
  7. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

And these work good in solar chargers? I just added them to my Amazon wishlist.

8. melbo

Motomom34 likes this.
  9. shaman

shaman Monkey++

I've been using Rayovac AA's and AAA's for 14 years now. They have been the best solution for me. I still have batteries from 2002 that are holding a charge. Engergizers were the worst. The rest fall somewhere in the middle.

I use rechargeables for everything except flashlights. I use Alkalines for them-- brighter and last longer. The one downfall of all rechargeables is that they operate at a slightly lower voltage. Most are 1.2V instead of 1.5V. That is not a problem in some stuff, but there are times where 1.2 V does not cut it.

10. melbo

This is just a test quote

Last edited: Mar 23, 2015
  11. vonslob

vonslob Monkey++

I tried rechargeable batteries about ten years ago and was not liking them. I was told I needed a better charger that did not heat up the batteries. A friend swears by them so I am going to give them another go. Rechargeable batteries are on the shopping list.

12. smithcp2002

smithcp2002 Monkey+++

Question to all, using 12v or 24v as a power source to charge aa,aaa best charger and battery combation?

13. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Switching Power Supply that does Voltage Conversion, to what ever the required charging Voltage is for the batteries to be charged. There are chips that do this....

14. slare

slare Monkey

I personally don't bother with recharge batteries, they never last long, so went back to using regular batteries.

15. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

I have both, regular and rechargeable, but I am only buying rechargable now. Keep in mind rechargeables, mine at least, are 1.3 volts, not 1.5. Six of them do not make 9 volts, 7.8. This was too low to power my Dakota drive way alarms, so I had to buy battery holders for 8 AAA's to make 10.4 volts. They now last a longer time as well. I also recharge regular batteries and it works well. I buy Eneloop on Amazon 16 pack.

16. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Thanks for the link.... added to the list. (y)

17. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I have some Eneloops from Amazon now and I also picked up the deal at Costco. Last week a pack of 10 AA, 4 AAA and a wall charger were $24.

Yard Dart likes this.
  18. its slighly off topic but the same as you can use any voltage higher than that of the accumulator ie. battery to charge up a battery
    you have to remember to take it of the battery especially aa/aaa types before they cook
    i charge batteries with a 12v car battery for short periods and it works every time and the world did not disintegrate around my slippers
    have a look at my water wheels that power my life and my mates life wife and 2 kids

i love rigging up power systems for all manner of situations i have mates all over not paying the grid to charge phones and computers etc
    Sales link deleted.
    hope you like it

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2015
    Cruisin Sloth likes this.
  19. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I picked up some Eneloops in 2015. They are still going strong. The charge holds as long as or maybe longer then a regular battery. The kids have them in their game controllers so these batteries get used daily.

Now I just need to find a worth solar battery charger.

chelloveck likes this.
  20. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

I still have my original Energisers, stored. Got a bunch of Eneloops, now marketed by Panasonic instead of Sanyo, and I have a pack of Tenergy D-cells. Haven't tried the Tenergys yet.

Motomom34 likes this.
  1. Prepper12
  2. Big Ron
  3. Ganado
  4. ED GEiN
  5. GrayGhost
  6. Hillbilly549
  7. Papa_asf130
  8. GrayGhost
  9. CodE BluE
  10. oil pan 4
  11. Asia-Off-Grid