1. We've made all our Resources available to guests - would you consider a donation to support us?
    Please don't hotlink directly to these files, share the url from this page's address bar.

Construction Above ground storm/fallout shelter 1.0

for high water tables or lack of excavating equipment.

1. mechstdr

mechstdr patriotic grease monkey

mechstdr submitted a new resource:

Above ground storm/fallout shelter - for high water tables or lack of excavating equipment.

Read more about this resource...

Radio and chelloveck like this.
  2. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

My ballistic concrete posts has a lot of info about making concrete.

Radio and mechstdr like this.
  3. mechstdr

checked the post but didn't finish reading yet.

4. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

I'm thinking about making this out of cross-ties. I'm pretty sure I can get enough.

With some hugelkulture draped over and around it, it'll even blend in with the garden.

5. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

Dry stacked concrete blocks filled with concrete, sand, gravel, etc. could be stored for future use and fashioned into a shelter in a short time. It would be especially efficient if constructed inside a structure (garage, barn, basement, etc.) to offer additional protection and shielding from fallout and radiation.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2023
    Radio, mechstdr and Zimmy like this.
  6. mechstdr

Zimmy can you get ties 10 + feet long ? I have never seen any in that length, but don't have much experience with either.

7. Zimmy

Maybe.....

Bridge ties are longer and thicker than standard ties. I think I know of a place I can get them in east Texas. At least I've heard of a place to ask around about.

When I was younger, I could carry a standard tie without trouble. No way I could carry the bigger ones.

8. mechstdr

I'm with there sir, used to throw 1 of those big oxygen bottles on my shoulder - can't do it anymore LOL (y) Didn't know there was a difference in size in ties, good luck in getting them, in someways they may make construction easier.

9. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

That is one of the advantages to working with concrete blocks and various kinds of fill, the individual units are relatively light weight. We sell cross ties at Rural King, and they are heavy! Normally, we use a forklift to load them, but 2 men can load a few!

mechstdr likes this.
  10. mechstdr

There's a number of shelter plans using block etc. listed/uploaded by Asia Off Grid in construction & shelters in resources check them out. (y)

chelloveck likes this.
  11. Illini Warrior

Illini Warrior Illini Warrior

I'd be reading up on shelter builds using sandbags - cheaper these dayz and a bundle of a 1,000 doesn't take up that much storage space ....

mechstdr likes this.
  12. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

If I lived in a place subjected to High Winds (Hurricane, Tornado, etc) I would be looking at a structure that was NOT capable of being a WING… and constructed from rain proof materials, like concrete… Maybe a Dome Shaped outer structure solidly anchored to a couple of driven steel pilings down to bedrock if possible.. and once built, covered with a couple of feet of compacted soil… If you look at all the news pictures of buildings, trashed by that kind of Storms, they were all truned into WINGS, and blown to bits by the pressure gradients imposed by those winds…If there is nothing for the winds to work on, they mostly pass right on by…

mechstdr and CraftyMofo like this.
  13. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

A thousand sandbags don't go very far and it takes a lot of time to fill them. I always get a laugh out of those folks that fill a dozen sandbags to prepare for a hurricane.

mechstdr and CraftyMofo like this.
  14. Zimmy

The agony of filling 1000 sandbags to make a 4' wall cannot be understated.

mechstdr, DKR and CraftyMofo like this.
  15. Illini Warrior

Illini Warrior Illini Warrior

who has the storage space or $$$$ for the 3-4,000 concrete blocks that 1,000 sandbags fill in for???
    eazy to knock other people's postings - where's your answer Smart Guy??
    entirely tooooo many fucking a-holes on this site

16. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

#1-I got a big-ass metal barn, and the concrete blocks could be tucked away in a corner! Or they could be placed outside, with the sand or gravel!
    #2-I got the money! Actually, the cost isn't that much!
    #3-I believe you are overestimating the number of concrete blocks and vastly underestimating the number of sandbags. My guesstimates are about 2,000 concrete blocks and 10,000+ sandbags! (My estimates could be wrong for a 10'x20'x6' shelter, as I have never worked with sandbags and sizes vary).
    #4-It is a lot of work filling sandbags and slow. With concrete blocks you just dry-stack a layer and pour sand or gravel in and lay another layer. Quick set concrete and rebar in the corners and on long runs helps too. Crossties for a roof with sandbags (I'll use the chain-hoist in the barn to lift and place the crossties).
    #5-We were talking about above-ground shelters and the ease with which they might be constructed. Me, myself, I'm still planning on going below-ground.
    Sorry to hear about you leaving...we need ass-holes on this site too!

mechstdr and Zimmy like this.
  17. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

mechstdr likes this.
  18. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Wall?
    Dude, make a hooch...
    [​IMG]

mechstdr, Zimmy and CraftyMofo like this.
  19. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

20. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

That Sandbag roof would last 10 seconds, in any sustained wind, like a Hurricane or Tornado… it would be a tiny bit better if it was Flat, rather than at that angle… It is nothing but a WING, waiting to fly…

Now the Dome building on the other hand, is not going to fly anywhere…

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7