1. The Topic of the Month for April 2017 is "Store what you use, use what you store." Please join the discussion on the Survival Topic of the Month forum.

acid reflux or GERD...

Discussion in 'Survival Medicine' started by dragonfly, Jul 11, 2012.

1. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

I've had this nasty for awhile now and have tried repetedly since 1980 to get it identified or at least, properly treated...
    Last friday night I got a NEW surprise...I was sitting on the sofa watching the boob tube...
    Not smoking, not eating, and not drinking anything....
    Suddenly, I could not breathe...Like I had choked on something...
    I could not talk, or swallow and it was a bit hairy....I ended up on the floor on my knees...
    It looked bad. My face was red and I could only manage enough air to keep from passing out.
    It finally passed after 10-15 minutes, I wasn't really to keen on keeping track of the time!
    Ok, that was weird...So, I figured it was a fluke.
    It happened again saturday night. Same exact circumstances...
    I managed to get to the kitchen and hang on to the table for dear life, literally...
    Now it's no longer weird, it's become life threatening! (it already was, but I had NO idea)
    I managed to get myself together and I did a real quick internet search....
    I then went to the ER....
    I spent 4 days, and LOT of tests and blood letting ...
    I had CT scans, Xrays, and even Ultrasound tests...
    Head to toes!
    I was put into the cardiac care unit...
    I had every orifice probed and probed again...
    I had an endoscopy, I even had a stress test....
    End result:
    Only the endoscopy showed where stomach acid, spewed up from an esophageal ulceration and one in the stomach, which had been really irritated...
    I take ranitiine/Zantac ( for years now) and eat Gaviscon like candy...
    I have been having bad headaches, so I took Excedrin, and for body aches I took Aleve.
    Both are NSAIDS and almost killed me!
    Evidently, with gastric problems, those are 2 of the WORST things you can do....
    Who Knew?
    The acid reacted like a volcanic eruption and shot up into the esopahgus...they also hit the bronchial areas...They reacted in an autonomous reflexive action and shut off my airway entirely.
    I was lucky, X2!
    The bill will be nearly $70,000!
    But at least they did confirm that I have a hiatal hernia...But it's transitional ( meaning IF I treat it with care and respect, it will disappear!)
    No more ranitidine or zantac anymore now....
    Now I am on a babyfood diet to heal all the damages....
    No salt, little sugar if any ,and they were yelling at me for smoking 2 packs a day, ( I once was a 4+ pack a day smoker), for 41 years now... 2 separate chest x-rays showed I was as clear as a newborn baby...Go figure ( must be in the exhaling?)
    All the tests came back clear and nothing bad happening...I was told I was in better shape (internally anyway) than the 30 year old Asian Dr. and the Dr.'s doing the tests!
    A word to the wise: DON"T do what I did, you may not be so lucky!

2. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

Dude...you have some serious bad chi. o_O

3. tacmotusn

tacmotusn Mosquito Sailor

Out $70,000 grand but got your health. Not too bad. Send the hospital bill to Lord Obummer along with a thank you note. Tell him to pay for it out of petty cash there at the blackhouse. Glad your okay and on the mend. Take care bud.

Quigley_Sharps likes this.
  4. cdnboy66

cdnboy66 Monkey++

Dude, I got scared just reading it. You must have needed a change of shorts.
    Sucks you had to go through all that to get it figured out, but sure glad they figured it out.
    Just when I think I want to emigrate to the USA, I read one of these and realize I love my free health care too much to move anywhere.
    not that I would ever leave the True North Strong and Free, but somedays I tell ya....

Really glad to hear you are on the mend and taking better care of yourself, that lifestyle change alone is a worthy accomplishment!!

Keep at it man, you can do this and will look back in a year and really celebrate!!

5. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Welcome to socialized medicine.

Glad they figured you out!

6. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

Feeling great now...No more soda, cut out 90% of salt, and sugars...
    Now it's back to that dreaded smoking ....sheesh!
    Hospital admin was a bit "tiffed" that I walked out...When I explained what happend, they agreed it was not a good thing for them or me..
    They were quite concerned about the IV buff cap that I still had in my arm...
    I told them it was removed within 1/2 hour of leaving the hospital and I'd had no consequences....
    Onward and upward!
    Never give up and never surrender!

7. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Damn...$70,000.00... TSA would have done that for free....

oldawg and STANGF150 like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7