1. The Topic of the Month for October is "Make this the Perfect Bugout Location". Please join the discussion in the TOTM forum.

acquiring books on the cheap

Discussion in 'Survival Reading Room' started by tacmotusn, Oct 7, 2010.

1. tacmotusn

tacmotusn Mosquito Sailor

I have acquired a huge hardback library. Mostly cookbooks, how to books, and anything that falls into the realm of being relevant to the survival / prepper lifestyle. Some have been picked up at flea markets, thrift stores, and anyplace else I could purchase what I wanted for well under the cover price.
    One source that I have used over the years has never failed me as their customer. I have no finacial connection to this store nor do I personally actually know the owners. No connection what so ever except as a fully satisfied customer.
    Their books are almost all hardbacks, except as noted. They added CD's and DVD's movies and music in recent years. They have a flat rate shipping fee per order of $3.50 whether you buy one book or ten. Their catalog is free for the asking. One purchase and you are pretty much on their mailing list forever. Most of the books I have bought from them sell for about 20% to 25% of cover price.
    they are: Edward R Hamilton, Bookseller company, p.o. box 15, Falls Village, Ct. 06031-5000. They recently also added a website: www.HamiltonBook.com
    here are some examples from their most recent catalog:
    CAST IRON COOKBOOK 1762540 - by Joanna Pruess, $6.95 It cooks up the most mouth watering Buttermilk Fried Chicken one evening, does double duty with a swiss cheese and apple frittata that starts on the stove and finishes in the oven, and it's raspberry blackberry crisp is a textural delight. These and more than 100 other recipes for cast iron pans are presented. Color photos. 220 pages. published at $24.95
    EMERGENCY FOOD STORAGE & SURVIVAL HANDBOOK 7289561 - by Peggy Layton. $11.95 Everything you need to know to keep your family safe in a crisis. With this guide by your side, you and your family will learn how to plan, purchase, and store a three month supply of all the necessities; food, water, fuel, first-aid supplies, clothing, bedding, and more, simply and economically. 286 pages. Paperbound. Published at $15.95
    HANDY FARM DEVICES AND HOW TO MAKE THEM. 7433077 - by Rolfe Cobleigh. $4.95 Facsimile, originally published in 1909, offers instructions for a wealth of labor and money saving projects, from a portable chicken coop, lightweight orchard ladder, and wood splitter, to a bicycle-powered washing machine. published at $9.95
    If any of this interests you contact the seller. Enjoy.
  2. KHAN

KHAN Monkey+++

Nice site!!! Thanks!!!!
  3. oth47

oth47 Monkey+

We bought from this company years ago,no problems.Back then,they had a lot of books you couldn't find anywhere else.
  4. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

That's why I think they would come in handy, too.
  5. Falcon15

Falcon15 Falco Peregrinus

I just posted that book in PDF Format, methinks. Can you check your copy against what is posted in the forum, Tac? Thanks!

6. tacmotusn

tacmotusn Mosquito Sailor

Same book. I have a real non electronic copy.
  7. Falcon15

Falcon15 Falco Peregrinus

So do I after my printer got a hold of it =)
  8. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

The handy farm machine one seems interesting. Especially since I'm gonna have redo the chicken coop roof come spring, and our washer I think is gonna be no good soon and we do have a bicycle.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary