Adjustable knots

Discussion in 'Bushcraft' started by Hanzo, Jul 3, 2022.

1. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

What adjustable knots do you guys use when setting up a shelter. And where do you tie it?

I'm just curious as I see most folks use a taut line hitch at the stake or anchor point. And I get it. Easier to tie a fixed knot at the tarp or tent and pull it down to the stake (will use stake to mean any anchor point).

Guess I'm a little contrarian. I like to tie my adjustable knot at the tarp (I will use tarp to refer to any shelter system) and the fixed knot at the stake. Most of the time. My thinking is if it is really coming down hard and I have to adjust tension, only my arms will get wet with my way.

While I sometimes use a taut line hitch, it is not my favorite. I prefer a truckers hitch. Even a truckers hitch using a prussik loop. Not hard to pull a quick release knot free, crank it a tight as I want, or loosen for that matter, and finish with a quick release knot. I can get much more tension, if that is what I need that way.

But my main point is the adjustable location close to the shelter.

Please share your method(s). I shared my madness.

Meat, SB21, Dunerunner and 1 other person like this.
  2. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Why? I have camped is massive downpours. And gotten soaked adjusting my lines. Here in Hawaii, I don't mind getting soaked too much, except when it cold and windy. Yes, it can get cold and windy here. Most times, the rain just feels nice. While I carry a rain jacket and sometimes a poncho when I hike, I mostly don't wear it. I do carry a gamcha (thin cotton towel) for if I need to towel off. It dries really fast and I can wear it too, if I want to stop and dry my clothes. The gamcha (I think I did a review of it many years ago) rolls up even smaller than a shemagh and is more than twice the size. If I try to wear a shemagh instead of pants or shorts, stuff may be showing. I can retain all modesty with a gamcha.

Sorry, went off on a tangent talking about rain. What do they say? "If it ain't raining, you ain't training?"

Meat and Ura-Ki like this.
  3. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

For little nylon tents I use a truckers hitch. For my old heavy canvas tents and shelters I've never used anything but dog bones. All the ones I remember from my youth were wood ones that Dad had made. Since all the old hemp lines were missing when the tents were passed down to me I replaced them with aluminum GI dog bones. Makes massive adjustments easy, hold tension in heavy weather, and sometimes most important, anybody can figure out how it works with no practice and under stress.

[​IMG]
    upload_2022-7-3_20-11-58.

Meat, Dunerunner, Hanzo and 2 others like this.
  4. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Trucker's hitch... Just because it is easy!

Meat and Hanzo like this.
  5. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Ditto on HotDiggitys post . Otherwise I'll tie a loop in the line ,, that acts the same as the dogbones .

6. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Bowline, sailors simple knot, blood knot, and half hitch are my go to's for most everything! For tightening tent/tarp lines, I use Caribiners and wrap the line through to tighten, it's lightning quick when needed and dosnt put kinks in the line, wanna tighten it, slide it up away from the anchor knot, or add another wrap, simple and effective!

Meat, Dunerunner, Hanzo and 1 other person like this.
  7. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

I use a trucker’s hitch a lot. Munter works good too. I’m pretty good with knots but I only use the 10 or 12 I am good at. I would like to learn them all but I’m not too bright so…..

CraftyMofo, Hanzo and SB21 like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7