Advice...first Mobile Radio/Base Station

Discussion in 'Survival Communications' started by Bandit99, Mar 20, 2019.

1. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

The 710G wants 13 amps in high power mode. Either one of those two PS will do fine. for the 710. Consider that you may want to run some accessories and need to know what the connections must look like.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
  2. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

@ghrit The 10 Amp Supply will be just fine in my setup, as the Battery makes up the difference on Tx, and charges the Battery back up on Receive until is is back up to the 13.4Vdc Float Voltage...

3. oldbee1966

oldbee1966 Monkey+++

I bought a Yaesu 7900 3 years ago. Like it and got one for the wife's car and one for my VHF base, so I now have 3!
    Very nice radio, but never use the UHF. If I was to do it today I would get the Yaseu 2980R VHF only 80watt radio.
    You can always turn the power down if not needed.

Bandit99 likes this.
  4. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

@BTPost "I bought a DualBand Verticle Base Antenna from Amazon ...It is temporary going to sit on the top of a pair of 20’ 1 1/2” Pipes coupled together, that will support it"

You are going to clamped them together to give you about 40 feet of height, right? You will use guide lines also to stabilize it, right?

I ask because I am looking at a base station antenna, it's about 10 foot tall, fiberglass, and weighs 3.3 pounds and am trying to come up with a scheme to get it higher. I have an old TV satellite 2 inch pipe that is cemented into the ground and thinking of clamping a 20 foot section of EMT conduit to it, not sure what diameter yet, 1 1/4" or 1 1/2". I think that would work but I really need higher...and haven't come up with an idea yet.

I haven't looked at the Ft-2980R because I want dual band but that guy really is a boomer with its 80 watts.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2019
  5. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I am using Sched 40 Glavized Pipe and will use a standard coupling to join the two sections together... Then dig a 1 Ft deep hole directly below the Eve SlipJoint location, and bury the bottow end. With Eve support, @ 18 feet and just these two small Antennas, that have very SMALL Wind loading, I should be fine on this temporary setup.. This whole system will be replaced with a 60’ Rohn 25G Tower, this summer, once the ground thaws, and I get the Kubota Tractor Backhoe running, and dig a hole for a 1 cubic Yard concrete base, with rebar welded to the Tower Base, and sitting on 4 ea. 6’ Copper Grounding Rods driven into the ground and connected to the Tower Base. ... This tower will also be connected to the roof of the cabin at the 20’ level for stabilty, and side loading support... This will be the RF Ground for the SEA1612C AutoTuner placed at the bottom of the tower, and feeding a 140Ft Longwire going verticle from the Tuner to the 50’ level of the tower and then horozontal for the last 90ft, out over a gully, in a southly Direction... I will also put a 160 Meter inverted V Dipole at the 50’ Level with the legs streched East @ West of the tower. That will use up both the internal Switchable Antenna ports on the Kenwood TS-480Hx HF Radio and manual Roller Inductor Tuner....

The difference between 50 Watts TX Power and 80 Watts on Vhf/Uhf is less than 1.5 db... So why would Anyone buy a Single Band Radio for the same money for just 1.5 db gain, when you can get a 6+Vhf/3+Uhf db Gain Antenna that would be much more effective than that extra 30 Watts of RF... Also understand Vhf & Uhf are both still only Ground Wave Frequency Bands, and only go as far as the local RF Horizon... which depending on elevation of the Tx Site and the Receiving Site is less than 75 Miles...

6. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

@BTPost " I am using Sched 40 Galvanized Pipe and will use a standard coupling to join the two sections together... The dig a 1 Ft hole directly below the Eve SlipJoint location, and bury the bottom end. and with the Eve support, @ 18 feer and just these two small Antennas, that have very SMALL Wind loading, I should be fine on this temporary setup..."

I think I understand - maybe. Just talking to you convinced me to used Schedule 40 Galvanized pipe also, cause I think it is stronger, but I will only do 20 feet...I will have to find someway to get someone bring a 20 footer to me as I don't have any way to transport anything that long on my truck. I really need a ladder rack...some day. The antenna I am considering, also a vertical, doesn't have a 'Wind Loading' rating just a 'Antenna Wind Survival: 112 mph." the mast is 8 or 10 feet (fiberglass, 3.3 pounds) depending on which one I get.

7. Swedish woman

Swedish woman Monkey

I don't know your location, but vhf and uhf use is n't good for off grid living , ( or you live near a city with repeaters ) the radius, distance for vhf and uhf for us is too short to use, we live too far way from civil living.
    We only have shortwave radio's ( yaesu ftdx3000 and ft857 ( last one have vhf and uhf but never a signal heard there )

1. Qwertyportne
  2. JA40
  3. Tully Mars
  4. sdr
  5. ED GEiN
  6. Southbound
  7. hitchcock4
  8. SB21
  9. sdr
  10. Bandit99
  11. Bandit99
  12. DKR