Advice for Working in Foreign Lands

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Seacowboys, Jul 1, 2014.

1. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I was cleaning some files on a work computer and came across this letter to one of my crews after one of our guys was murdered at a whorehouse in San Pedro De Marquori, DR. I wanted to share it for the advice about working in a foreign land.
    Gentlemen;

Today we lost a friend and we grieve and lick our wounds. We remember and shed a tear; we remember and laugh and each of us grows a little closer to our own mortality.

We have chosen to be in a dangerous profession. We have chosen to travel into strange lands away from our families and the comforts familiar to us to engage in a dangerous profession. Let’s not forget that we made that choice ourselves and not one of us is here under duress.

We are in the damage control business. By definition, our lives are spent controlling damage and responding to crisis management. It does not stand well for us to do otherwise. We cannot afford to treat the loss of a friend any different than any other damage control. I implore each of you, as the professionals you are, to be aware that we do not have the luxury afforded most; the time to feel sorry for ourselves. We are the strong. We are the ones others count upon to get the job done.

I want to address security on a personal basis. Many times, I have lectured each of you about the dangers of traveling in third-world countries. The language is foreign to you. The customs are foreign to you. The laws are very foreign to you. I want to reiterate a few brief points:

1. Each man is to carry a photo-copy of his passport, drivers license, and other important documents on his person at all times and leave the originals in a safe and secure place such as the ship’s safe or the safe in your hotel room.

2. Each man should have the number of the U.S. Embassy on his person at all times. This can prevent some serious problems from getting out of hand.

3. Telephone contact lists of all company personnel should be on your person at all times, should you need assistance.

4. Emergency contact lists should be filed with the project manager upon arrival and copies of all your documents given to him as well for safe keeping.

5. Travel at night only in groups of three or larger.

6. Take only taxis that are displaying proper i.d.

7. Refrain from drinking until you are stupid.

8. If you find yourself in trouble with the law, politely insist repeatedly to call your Embassy. Do not sign anything. Do not agree to anything until you have spoken with your embassy.

9. If accosted by robbers, do not offer resistance. Give them your money without argument. You do not have anything on you worth dying for.

10. Do not wear conspicuous jewelry or display large amounts of money. A Rolex or Tag costs more than many people here feed their entire families on for a year.

11. Expensive ear-rings will likely be pulled from your ear quite painfully by bandits, should you choose to wear them.

12. Be wary of locals that approach you offering favors. Something as innocent as asking for a light for a cigarette just allows them a close-up of your watch or jewelry and you become a target. Remember these faces, you will probably see them again.

2. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Good advice Sea!!!

3. gunbunny

gunbunny Never Trust A Bunny

Thanks, someone I know is going out of country on business. Although it might not be a third world nation, I believe the advice is still worth taking.

4. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

You know, most of those are sound advice in THIS land nowdays.

Yard Dart likes this.
  5. KAS

KAS Monkey+++

good advice sea ..
    this hits very close to home ...

6. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Yep Good deal,
    Kinda reminds me of New Orleans or most major inner cites here in the states from rule #5 on down.

Sapper John likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7