Advice Needed: Buying a personal defense/SHTF rifle

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by prepareordie, Apr 17, 2006.

1. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

b:: b:: b::

2. BRONZ

BRONZ Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I would suggest an AR platform.

7.62 is good but heavy. 5.56 w/75gr otm is just right.

3. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

BRONZ... that Avatar still creeps me out

Yea. 5.56

4. BRONZ

BRONZ Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Look whos talken brother ;) [gone]

5. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

:lol:

6. ghostrider

ghostrider Resident Poltergeist Founding Member

:lol:

7. TailorMadeHell

TailorMadeHell Lurking Shadow Creature

Would a good AR-50 .50BMG for anti-material rifle be good in case some idiots come up in armored vehicles, like plated trucks or winnies? I'm thinking of something that can punch holes through to the target so they can't 'siege' ya or something. Not within that budget, just asking.

8. sniper-66

sniper-66 Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I prefer a Bushmaster flat top as it gives you more flexibility. Also go with with flip up BUIS for when that dot sight fails. I prefer the 16" heavy barrels as they seem to be more accurate than the 14". I have won rifle competitions with my 16" barrel.

9. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

This is a good thread, I am glad that it was resurrected. It is always fun to play with someone else's money. I wonder what happened to Prepareordie?

I wouldn't mind finding some armor piercing .300 Win. Mag. if they make any.

10. sniper-66

Here is my thought. You need close support, from 0 to 50 yards, this is where the handguns.22s, and shotguns come in handy. Then for mid range, you need your assault weapons. These take you from 50 to 250 yards and are your ARs and AKs. Then you need a Main Battle Rifle, MBR for the 300 and beyond range. This is where a .308 bolt gun works it's magic. This will take you from 300 to 600ish. Then when you hit the jackpot, .300 win mag and .50s will cover everything else.
    Now take this info and fill in the blanks with what you don't have. If you don't have any needs beyond 250, then stick with assault rifles. Otherwise, I would consider a MBR

11. sniper-66

Tailormadehell, Yep, it would work fine. I have a AR-50 and right now, ammo is readily available for whatever purpose you have in mind. Remember that .50 ball has steel core, so it will do most of what you want to do.

12. Quigley_Sharps

Load your own, thats what I did, you can buy the 30cal bullets at gun shows. then load up.

13. TailorMadeHell

TailorMadeHell Lurking Shadow Creature

I will definitely add a few of the recommendeds to my list. I want to be prepared for all eventualities. And as always, make sure you have a backup plan for your backup plan.

14. sniper-66

EL, Quig is right. .30 AP pulled from .30-06 will work nicely in a .300 win mag. Don't do it if you have a .30-06 that you shoot regularly, because if you load the .300 and see what a AP does in that, then you will be ruined on a .30-06! I shot a hardened 1/2" steel plate at 100 yards. The bullet went through the plate that stopped the .30-06, through the 6" tree that the plate was leaned up against, and then buried itself so deep in the berm behind the tree that I wasn't able to recover it!

15. E.L.

Sounds awesome. I will have to find someone to load me up a box or two.

16. sniper-66

Iffin I was home, I would do it for you, but it isn't hard. Don't need to go full power either.

17. Quigley_Sharps

Let me know.

18. E.L.

If you want to load some up, just let me know how much $ to send you.

19. prepareordie

prepareordie Monkey+++

Buying a personal defense rifle: I'm Back

All - Thanks for all the great info posted in this thread. Sorry its taken me so long to post anything but I have a new position in my company which puts me on the road about full time and have been very busy with work projects.

I did get to sneak out one weekend with a friend on mine who let me shoot his AR15, M1 Garand, M1A, and a FN/FAL. I fell in love with the M1A. I ended up purchasing a Bushmaster AR15 and a Springfield Armory M1A. Hopefully I can get some photos up soon.

ColtCarbine - Sorry we were not able to hook up to go shooting.

Regards, Prepareordie

20. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Fine choices POD!!
    THat's the same way I resolved the .223 vs .308 debate myself... Get em both

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7