Advice Needed: Buying a personal defense/SHTF rifle

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by prepareordie, Apr 17, 2006.

1. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

Congrats on the purchases, good choices. There's always another day to go shooting. [beer]

2. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Sweet. The best of both worlds. I was at a gunshop this weekend, lots of good deals. I was in a hurry or I would have spent lots. New DPMS and Bushy AR's $699, like new Carbon 15 Bushmaster AR for $679, FAL on Imbel reciever for $495, NIB Glock's for $450+, Century RPK for $519, lots of other stuff. I am already planning a trip back.

3. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

get me some pics thats a steal!

4. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

No kidding, the Imbel receivers are selling for $400-$450 alone these days.

5. E.L.

I would, but the place is about 200 miles away. This gunstore is run the way I would run one. Awesome deals, lots of sales, and really friendly salespeople. They even had a hottie behind the counter too.

6. BigO01

BigO01 Monkey+++ Founding Member

I know I'm a bit late tp this thread but Prepareordie , when next tax season rolls around I would go out and find a couple of quality semiauto pistols .

The .357 is the most effective round you can find in a manstopper with 125 gr hollow points acording to the number crunchers but in a SHTF situation it has one very big disadvantage reloading the thing . Loose rounds in pocket hm not good , speedloaders , try sitting down with them in your pockets , or even shoving them in your pockets when your on the go and lives depend on your moving your tail NOW . Nothing is faster than sticking a few mags in your pockets and keeping moving as you do so .

I suggest nothing less than 40 S&W and a 45 is always a good choice here , just don't have alot of faith in a 9mm if my life depends on me all by my lonely having to get the job done .

If next years tax return is the same $1,600 a Wilson KZ-45 would make an excellent choice . I'm a 1911 fan and there are a bunch out there that either are or can be made to run with 100% reliability for less than the Wilson . Other options would be Sigs , Glocks , SA USP's , and even the Taurus PT 945 940's in 45 and 40 S&W respectfully . I have a PT 940 and have a few hundred rounds through her and she has run 100% from the word go , hold 10 rounds of 165gr hp's that I am betting my life on as a bedside gun as I type . Don't forget those reloads for every auto get at least 6 excelent extra magazines to keep them fed , a gunfight is no place to be reloading your mags .

7. E.L.

That is why the .357 Sig was designed. You can go to www.cdnninvestments.com and download their catalog. The used Sig 226/229's in good to excellent condition are running right around $400 I believe. These have night sights also. Find an FFL close by who will do the transfers for you cheap and it is quite a deal.

8. poacher

poacher Monkey+++ Founding Member

Good going! You have two solid weapons get extra mags for both pronto. It tends to be a bad thing if you are buying a TSHTF rifle (s) and you end up trying to load mags when you should be shooting.

I will go back to the point of reloading since chances are you are more likely to not be getting ammo if your reason for buying the rifles comes to pass. Not to mention that buying the componets will be cheaper than the loaded ammo, on the down side you do have to load it before you can shoot it so that means loading in advance.

As far as the pistol goes I lean towards a .45 personally. I like using the 230 JHP. If you were to go with the Glock 21 that gives ya 15 rnds of 45 not to mention if you have 4 or 5 more mags loaded up and ready.

Well thats my pennys worth hope that glean somthing out of it. Once again congrats on the purchases you did well with your choices and you have two solid weapons.

Take care Be safe Poacher.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7