Advice on a Fireplace insert

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by melbo, Sep 10, 2005.

Tags:
  1. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

A friend asked me about them. He has a huge Masonry Fireplace without doors. Looks great but is lacking in efficiency. 2 'whole house' squirrel cage blowers help but it really eats the wood.

Anyone have any advice or brand suggestions?

2. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Get a wood stove to set in front of it and run the stove pipe into the chimney anfter haveing 5 foot or more or horizontal for the heat to radiate into the room instead of up the chimney. :D

3. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Thanks, I thought of that but he doesn't have the room in the room to place a free standing unit. I was thinking an insert that was sealed and had the right doors would make for a more efficient burn.

4. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I've had a Better 'n Ben cast iron fireplace insert on one of my smaller fireplaces for more years that I care to remember. It protrudes about 7"-8" onto the hearth. Its much more efficient than just a fireplace and puts out a lot of heat. Another advantage is using the exposed surface to keep water kettles for humidifying the house. I used a large wood stove in my other house or years and I heated the whole house. I had it in the basement and loaded it twice a day for heating the whole (small) house.

5. ChemicalGal

ChemicalGal Monkey+++

What method did you use for getting the heat to the upper floor?
    Chemical Gal

6. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I left the cellar door open.

7. ChemicalGal

ChemicalGal Monkey+++

ok makes sense, Meanwhile I thought of another way, use it like the old gravity furnaces with holes in the floor for heat to rise thru they had vented covers over them

thanks for info

8. RightHand

The house had always been heated with wood but in a slightly different way. My granddad build that house and being quite an ingeneous fellow, he put an old cast iron boiler in the basement and ran pipes through the firebox. The pipes were connected to the old cast iron radiators. When I moved their, I put a regular woodstove in because it was much more efficient. The old boiler had deteriorated through the years so it was time for a new system.

1. Gator 45/70
  2. 3M-TA3
  3. Motomom34
  4. VisuTrac
  5. Hillbilly549
  6. BenP
  7. BenP
  8. Retread
  9. Asia-Off-Grid
  10. Asia-Off-Grid
  11. Asia-Off-Grid
  12. duane