advice on mini 14

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by oth47, Oct 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rex Lee

Rex Lee Monkey+

Max, the whole point everyone is trying to make, is that the vast majority of people posting on the internet regarding mini-14's, are saying they are inaccurate and wouldn't buy one again. It's not just MY mini-14, but MOST. When you add my experience to the other thousands out there saying the same thing, what do you think that means? Snap out of it man.

Just because you have one or two that you think is good, does not change that. Google mini-14 and go read.

Just like I realize by and large, MOST SKS's are not going to be as accurate as the one I kept. The majority of feedback on the internet supports this,and I have also experienced it, because I have owned several and seen it first hand.

2. Maxflax

Maxflax Lightning in a bottle

Everyone isn't making negative comments.. read the thread more carefully

I've been on many forums and read a lot of complaining.. just as I have about many other weapons that are as good as it gets.. AR15s, PTR rifles, etc

The reason you see the complaints and fewer good reviews is that people who are happy with their minis simply enjoy them and don't post about it

Then there's the fact the Bill Ruger Sr was an old fool and was anti larger capacity mags for mere civilians and a lot of people still hold a grudge, even though he's long gone. Even if they have a good experience with their mini they may not post it due to that grudge

3. coondawg47

coondawg47 Monkey+

I had a Mini-14 for about 10 years or so. I killed two Antelope with it (both 150yard shots or better) and 4 Mule Deer from 10 yards to 150yards. Also shot 10 or more coyotes with it out to 300 yards. Plenty accurate for me, never bench rested it though, wasn't into that back then. Put lots of meat on my table. Good reliable gas system/action that won't need a lot of spare parts. Mags are pricey. I traded it away when I fell out of love with 223/5.56 cartridge. Suggest you look at a Mini-30 instead. Shoots 7.62x39.

4. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

I can't believe this thread is still going.

In regards to ^, no. Apparently you don't understand what we are saying. I could care less about Bill Ruger. The mini I owned was not as accurate as I expect. There are virtually no spare parts available PERIOD

As for the comments about shooting ability, I shot small bore for 8 years. I've only ever shot sharpshooter one time on a range with 30 MPH winds. Every other qualification, I have shot expert with either 39 or 40.

If you expect accuracy, modularity, and parts availability, it's an easy decision.

5. snowbyrd

snowbyrd Latet anguis in herba

I had a stainless back in the late '70s. Worked at a firearms manufacturer and was allowed to buy many 'add ons' at low prices. Cost actually, loved that rifle. I would put my hat down and not have to pick up any brass. Just the hat. Accuracy was good enough for me, I was shooting +/- 1" @ 150 yrds. Wish I still had it. Was allowed to shoot the GB model along with whatever the LEOs had, they carried our 'brand' off duty {most of them| so we were allowed to try out theirs.....
    The Mini 14 in mnsho [my not so humble opinion] is a very nice 'piece' for the money.

6. Diddy

Diddy Monkey+

Here is a really good review from Gunblast.com on the newer Mini-14

Gunblast Mini-14 I can also attest to the Vortex red dot mentioned in the review. it is a great sight for the money.

There are many internet commandos that like to slam the Mini for questionable reasons. One of which being the price of mags. Yet they give a complete pass to all the other countless magazines for other handguns and rifles that cost even more. They will tell others that there is a lack of parts and other bunk like that.

Here is a list from Brownell's 5 pages worth of parts.
    here is a list from Midway-USA - 13 pages of parts
    Cheaper than dirt has lots too but their search engine is a little goofy.

Here's another older review from Gunblast too.

Newer, 58X Minis are worth a look

7. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

It has been my observation, after selling Mini-14's since forever, that many of them are purchased by unschooled users, as a Poor Man's Assault Weapon. These same NEW user/owners just can NOT resist the temptation of loading up a bunch of Magazines, with cheap .223 Surplus ammo, and then going out to the local gravel pit, doing their Rambo Thing. (burning thru as many clips of ammo, in the shortest amount of time) The next weekend they head on out to the local Range and try and sight the weapon in at 100Yds. Then they bring the thing back to "me" and complain that it doesn't shoot 1 MOA like it should.... Well, DUH....

8. Rex Lee

Rex Lee Monkey+

Yea, but then again there are also a bunch of experienced shooters, like myself, who have tried them and been extremely disappointed in their lack of accuracy. I am no "SF Sniper" or anything, but I am former Army infantry, and shot on the rifle team in ROTC.

I have told of my experiences on here before, but I will get into a little more detail. The Mini-14s thatI have been around (mine were late 90's vintage) , shot minute of pie plate at best. Not even close to an AR, and not even as good as my 1950 Russian SKS.

Yea they were jam prone too. Super picky about what magazines worked with them. Never did find a 30 rounder that would feed 100% of the time. Stock 5 rounder? yep. That's about the only kind that would.

You can't make excuses for that crap. It is what is. If my experience were the only one, I would take it with a grain of salt and try a couple more mini-14s. But everywhere I go, I read the same experience. Too many to be B.S.

I like Mini-14's. I like their design, and configuration and what they are trying to be. I like Rugers, and own a bunch of them. I just feel the Mini-14 didn't live up to the potential of what it could have been.

9. Drumbo

Drumbo Monkey+

Gosh, I lurk too much and mostly hold my tongue. I've learned that every weapon has a purpose, a "to each his own" component and YMMV factor.

I "own" a Ruger stainless mini 14 in .223. It was a gift, so the price was right and there was no paperwork. Until last year, I had a Glock pistol and a Mossburg 12 ga. but, no rifle in my inventory, so my bestest friend gave me her mini-14 when she purchased a Kel-Tec PLR-16, fell in love and the mini-14 was regulated to her seldom-seen stash of cast-offs.

With no prior rifle, I'm in the "unschooled users" catagory and the mini-14 is definately my "Poor Man's Assault Weapon". I won't dispute what anyone says here, but I have practiced with iron sights until I can hit close to the bullseye at 300 yards. At 400 & beyond, I admit it's almost a 50/50 shot as to whether I'll even hit the target, but it never dawned on me to blame the piece. I just practiced harder, wondered about Kentucky windage and aimed higher. I've improved. It's good to know that maybe it's not entirely my inexperience, tremulosis and poor eyesight that makes it so difficult to group shots at far targets. However, I never expected a sniper weapon just something more accurate than my pistol at distance to keep the black hats heads down. I've no doubt I could drop a deer in my backyard at 100 yards if need be - and that day may come - the deer are getting thick and my food budget, like my firearms buget is exhausted.

I had some jamming until I replaced the old metal clips with new plastic ones. It was a big improvement and no more jamming - even with the Russian surplus ammo. Disassembly, cleaning and remembering how to put it back together could be easier, but, like I said: the price was right. I'll keep practicing with the mini-14 I've got - until something better comes along. If firearms are like drum kits, there are some dogs, but in the hands of a well-practiced student, even an old dog can get you through the gig. My 2¢

10. Diddy

Diddy Monkey+

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Fk84KLiaa4&feature=player_embedded#

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKPgJ_ec3Fs&feature=channel

Whether you like or dislike Nutnfancy is irrelevant. The video, the Mini-14 and results speak for themselves.

The videos are a little long but watch them if you like to be informed. If not, then stay ignorant and don't let facts get in the way of your arguments.

11. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

I'll play.

As stated in the video, that mini is as accurate as any other carbine on that same course (AR or AK). Of course, that is the new Mini. Not the old that most commented on are familiar with. And he had to mount up a 7x scope and pay for a trigger job to shrink the groups to "acceptable" by AR standards. Did I mention that the new minis start at $600+ before "fixes"?
    Google

From the video "it's tough to get 2MOA out of it. Even with the new barrels".

"Under combat conditions"?? What combat conditions?

I think the cost of ARs has already been covered, but here is how it kind comes out

MINI- Cost- about $620 on the low end. Limited scope mounting options unless you move to a 2 piece base- more $$. Magazines are expensive- $25. Spare parts.....

Well, over 85% of the "parts" in the above link are non-critical/chicom/Tapco sh*t that won't keep anything running and will likely cause more problems than they fix. The remaining 15% are legitimate Ruger parts I would likely trust. About half of those 15% legitimate parts are "OUT OF STOCK". Of course, forget about spare bolts or barrels.

AR- You can get a complete Bushmaster for about $875:
    http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=Bushmaster+AR15+for+sale&hl=en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=18395954442199678650&ei=t1lLTaTeLIL4sAOh58HICg&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CGQQ8wIwAw#
    No need for a trigger fix or any additional "adjusting" to shoot 2MOA. You get a true "battle proven" design. Not a theoretical design. No, the Mini is not a Garand or an M14. You get a chrome lined barrel and bolt carrier design for irregular cleaning regimens. Magazines are easy to find at $9.99. Critical parts availability... at Brownells, typing AR15 gets you "Showing 1 to 12 of 1472 items". That's right over 1K parts. How many are "critical" parts? "AR barrel" gets me 135 options. "AR bolt" gets me 147 items. "AR lower parts kit" gets me eight separate options for lower parts KITS. Try finding a single Ruger trigger assy. Do we even need to discuss how versatile the AR is mounting optics?

To each his own. Point is- you can spend $620 on a Mini or $875 on an AR. I can guarantee you that if you buy 20 mags, you will make up the difference in price. That's before optics and spare parts.

12. Diddy

Diddy Monkey+

I really have a low tolerance for arrogant, closed minded people such as you. While I have tried to give valid information to all readers you on the other hand have decided to single me out for your own petty little pissing match. Grow Up!
    I have already stated in this thread - I have been talking about the new 58X series Minis that have been made for the past 6 years. You can buy a factory mini loaded with rails that will mount anything you want. You can also buy an AR that has no rails that won't mount anything - What is your point? Do you need pictures?
    Ruger factory mags cost $25, ProMags only cost $15 and work. If I or anyone else is willing to pay $15-$25.00 for mag what concern is it to you? It's not like I or anyone else has tried to mislead anyone on anything. I'd guess you own a number or firearms with magazines that cost well over $25.00.

What does it matter what magnification the scope is?! Don't even try and tell me that there are no ARs with a 3x9 scopes

From the video "it's tough to get 2MOA out of it. Even with the new barrels".
    Hmm, well it did better than the AR and the AK so...

"Under combat conditions"?? What combat conditions?
    Have you completely missed the theme of this website?! Why are you here? To talk about your bench queen rifle? This IS a survivalist board is it not and isn't a common topic of discussion about home defense and survival situations?

So a Mini isn't a Garand action, really huh? Well your Bushmaster isn't a Colt or an Armalite.
    Minis will eat more different types of ammo than most ARs
    Minis thrive with irregular cleaning regimens and have a proven track record for reliability and minimal failures of any kind. Deal with it.

I could post over 500 positive threads about the 58x Mini-14 but you would still be whining like a little boy.[hissyfit]

13. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

Keep it civil guys, personal attacks are not tolerated here. If folks want to resort to name calling take to the Inferno, e-mail and/or Private messages.

14. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

First off, hero, watch your name calling. More than I have offered our experiences that contradicts yours.

Yeah, well, what you seem to gloss over is the fact that one of these rifles has become an industry standard, military standard, and in most cases an LE standard. Commonality is important in a SHTF weapon. Considering the very few critical parts available from anywhere other Ruger, the mini is a very limiting.

You may be the first that has touted Pro-Mag being anything but junk. The last time I tried one, it was 1990-something and it wouldn't run at all in my mini. For some reason, the USA mags would in mine. The real question here is commonality. Your mag works in yours, but not mine vice versa. That is what you call "dependable". I can drop any NATO (again- commonality) magazine into anyone of my ARs and cycle it flawlessly. As for the $25 Ruger magazines- IMHO they are the only 100% option for the Mini. While $25 is better than the $80 they were before, its still not $9.

I'm not trying to tell you anything. I am simply stating the fact that it took a trigger job and 7x scope to do what an iron sighted, rack grade Stoner impingement system will do any day of the week.

Better?... hardly. The video even states that it only does "as well" as the other carbines. I hardly saw any group measurements as real evidence.

No, I didn't miss the theme. A couple guys that claim to be USMC, but never shot an SRM range clearly no little about combat. Two dudes running around a field on a one way range does not simulate "combat conditions" with their 5 round magazines and 25 round runs. This is a subject I do have personal knowledge of. I don't own any "bench queens". I only own reliable tools that run and earn their keep.

I don't own a Bushmaster smart a$$. I'm not quite sure where you derived that from. I didn't claim your Ruger to be a Springfield or an HRA. We aren't talking brands, we are talking operating system. I stated that your operating system was never used in combat. That is a fact. The M16/AR15 family has been in real world fights for nearly 60 years. Your Mini has been a cop's trunk gun for nearly as long- just not near as many fights.

You can show me over 500 and I could show you over 500 that counter your argument. Again, watch your tone. The only one that is closed minded here is you. Most that replied here has used/owned a mini and moved on when they learned a thing or two about what is required of a real combat weapon. I'm not attacking you for your choice of a mini. I could care less. My post is to those that have yet to make a decision on which carbine to purchase. The AR wins in the value department hands down. Stop taking it personal.

(y)

15. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

Yes Sir.

I apologize if I come off abrasive. This has turned into one of those "who is loudest" matches. Frankly, this topic old.

16. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

Sir ???????, I work for a living.

I'm probably the most abrasive one here, you have a ways to go ;)

17. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

LOL. Sorry "Sarge". Stand at attention while you address me [stirpot]

(Just kidding;))

18. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

PM me if anyone wants this unlocked. Temper tantrums and male parts comparisons don't make it here.

19. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7