Advice to a new member

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by hot diggity, Mar 14, 2023.

1. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

Don't be shy. We don't bite. Well, most of us don't. ;) Pull up a branch and join the discussion. There's more collected knowledge here than you're likely to find in a lifetime of searching for survival topics online.
    If that means we're old, have learned from our mistakes and know stuff that maybe we shouldn't. I'll wear that as a badge of honor, and I suspect a lot of old Monkey's here feel the same way.

You can buy all sorts of expensive survival junk online that you'll have to drag around with you. Have you really tested that gear? In a real survival situation, what you carry around between your ears is what will matter. Real, mastered skills weigh nothing, but are invaluable in times when you really need them. That's a big part of what you should be putting in your kit.

We also talk a lot about stuff that's been around for centuries and still works just fine. Hmmmm? Old fashioned maybe, but it's survived the test of time. Quality blades, heirloom seeds, animals, REAL renewables like firewood. Good food, pure water, and plenty of sleep.

Speaking of sleep. It's past my bedtime and I have to wake up before the sun rises, so I will pick this topic up some time tomorrow.

G'nite.

Tjb61, duane, techsar and 17 others like this.
  2. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

What do you mean "old".
    Oh wait!

3. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

They won't even fuss about poor spelling of grammatical challenges..

Thank you spell check!

4. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

There's no such thing as a stupid question. If you can't find an answer in a search, ask. You're obviously smart enough to have found your way here. You're late, and have lots of catching up to do, but you got here as soon as you could.

Now comes the hard part. Finding a balance between reading threads and researching topics here and still getting things done in the world of actual reality. It's not a tough exercise. Just unplug or flip the breaker off and see what you can learn. If all you see is darkness you might want to think about alternative lighting or moving furniture around where you won't fall over it. Good idea for brief power outages. What if the power isn't coming back on....ever?

Plan B. You need a plan B, and probably a plan C, D and E.

Plenty of help here if you need a nudge, or a well placed kick. You should be able to sit anywhere and run through "What if?" scenarios in your head and come up with reasonable solutions. Keep doing that until it becomes as natural as breathing. If you think you've found a solution that's so brilliant that you have to share it, please do. We're always looking for new ideas. Don't get discouraged if we poke holes in your balloon. That's how we all learn.

Some of the best lessons involve blisters, Band-Aids and sometimes stitches. There's a HUGE difference between learning a skill and mastering it. You have to practice new skills.

You got here. That the important part. Now get busy surviving. :)

Last edited: Mar 14, 2023
    Tjb61, duane, oldawg and 5 others like this.
  5. Seepalaces

Seepalaces Monkey+++

Some of us introverts lurk as much as we chat. There are a ton of great people here! Jump in as much or as little as you're comfortable.

6. Qwertyportne

Qwertyportne Monkey

One of my favorite sayings is... "If you hang out with people who don't share your approach to life, love and liberty, your real peers can't find you." If you're a new member and anything like the guys and gals who hang out here at Survival Monkey, you'll find your real peers!

gii shi kan dug, duane and Alanaana like this.
  7. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

No fed boys.

gii shi kan dug likes this.
  8. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Hey, I used to be a “Fed Boy”…. but got riff’ed by ALGORE when he reinvented Government, just before he tried to reinvent Climate Science… which hasn’t worked out so well for him…

gii shi kan dug and duane like this.
  9. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

SM is one chill site. Great place to hang w/buds.

gii shi kan dug, Tjb61 and duane like this.
  10. Best thing I did was "ignore" Chell

Zimmy, DKR and duane like this.
  11. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Ah....feelin' the love. ;)

hot diggity and Gator 45/70 like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7