African waterhole webcam

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by E.L., Jan 8, 2007.

1. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

2. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I like watching this but I am really suprised how few animals show up after dark. The crickets and frogs are nice though.

3. E.L.

I saw a baboon right before dark.

4. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Did the bottom of the bud bottle enhance the view?[touchdown]:sneaky:

5. Seacowboys

I saw several zebra, several wildebeast, some giraffe, and couple of antelope looking things with a white bullseye drawn on their rumps, and a elephant today.

6. E.L.

Ok CRC, oops I meant Ghrit.[booze] :sneaky: [beer] [CRC] [IHI] [feedmods]

7. E.L.

Zebras with nursing foals, baboons, antelope, wildebeast all at the same time. Wow.

8. TailorMadeHell

TailorMadeHell Lurking Shadow Creature

Stupid player won't let me see and I can't find a fix to it. Stupid thing. Ugh.

9. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member

Same thing happened to me, TMH! I had audio, no video. foosed

Whatcha' gotta' do is: Go use the other computer.[winkthumb]

Hey - a hyena just walked by.

10. TailorMadeHell

I'll check that out sometime. Maybe one day I can go on Safari just to see the animals. I won't bring back any trophies except pictures, unless one of those things tries to attack me. Haha. You think they'll let me keep a baby lion as a pet? Haha.

11. E.L.

There is a BIG male lion drinking out of the waterhole right now. Wow. This guy is huge, big mane too.

12. Tracy

Zebras and wildebeast right now.

13. E.L.

Seven lions napping and drinking, and a hyena in the background wishing it could.

14. E.L.

Wild African lions kill buffalo live on Internet

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/safrica_wildlife_internet_dc

JOHANNESBURG (Reuters) - Nature lovers worried growing hordes of tourists might spoil a safari to Africa can now watch the continent's wildlife live and in the raw on the Internet.
    Canada's Infotec Business Systems Inc, which uses webcams to broadcast live footage of wild animals on the web, says its 'Africam' site has captured the first live kill of an animal in the wild streamed through the Internet.
    The site showed six lions hunt and kill a buffalo live on Christmas Day at the Nkorho Pan on the edge of South Africa's vast Kruger Park, Infotec BSI said on Tuesday.
    "The majestic beauty of these animals is rarely seen by the general public. Now we're able to share it with everyone, without harming these animals," said Infotec BSI Chief Executive Arthur Griffiths in a statement.
    The Nkorho stream, shown at www.africam.com and www.wavelit.com, films a watering hole in the upscale Sabi Sands reserve on the edge of Kruger Park -- one of the world's top game reserves -- 24 hours a day.
    On Tuesday morning a baboon slurped from the watering hole while a cluster of bambi-like impala and a lone warthog chomped on nearby patches of grass.
    Infotec drummed up media attention last year when it broadcast a live feed of two bird's nests. It later launched Africam on its Wavelit Internet video site and another stream showing live footage of Canadian grizzly bears.
    Websites like Africam have beamed still images from the African bush around the world via the Internet for several years but better technology has made live video footage possible.
    The number of people watching TV over the Internet, or IPTV (Internet Protocol Television) is expected to double to 13.3 million in 2007 and surge to 48.8 million by 2010, according to industry analyst Gartner.

15. Seacowboys

I find myself watching this almost every day. It relaxes me and makes me feel like the world still has a chance.

16. E.L.

Same here. I will pull it up and just listen to it as I surf the net, or walk around the house doing this, that, and the other.

I wish I would have seen the kill though, just out of morbid curiosity.

17. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I've checked it out several times, so far only bugs to be seen. (But the NV is impressive.)

18. TailorMadeHell

SC, the world still has a chance. We just need to feed the idiot politicians to the wild animals. Haha.

I don't know if I got the link right or if it's just a link to a recorded camera session, though I can see stuff sometimes.

Once there was a watering hole and some birds were playing around. Then another time was a NV of lions sleeping. Doesn't matter to me if that is live or recorded. It's still cool stuff. Puts me in mind that I need to get my stuff together faster and get to a more simple way of life.

Simple is good and peaceful.

19. Seacowboys

Bump...just cause this is fun and relaxing

20. Tracy

They've changed the format, so now you can see the highlights of the last 12 hours, look at the regular camera streaming live or even check out the Elephant Plains or Flamingo Island.

Right now, there are two male lions just resting by the watering hole.

Very cool!

http://www.africam.com/wildlife/index.php

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7