AGE/DEMOGRAPHICS/CAREER

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BLKFJDC, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Sapper John

Sapper John Analog Monkey in a Digital World

Old enough to know better, but young enough to do it again...

2. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

48 yrs. Male Plumber/Pipefitter by trade.

A few more years and you can say you lived it twice ;)

3. gunbunny

gunbunny Never Trust A Bunny

40 yo Male. Was an electrician, now in college to become a Nurse. What a twisted world we live in.

4. Donldson

Donldson Monkey+

Old enough to know what's right but young enough not to choose it. I'm a New World Man. Ok, I may have stolen that one from Rush.

Actually that sounds about right, 29 and an Investment Adviser. If we are to truly prepare, we must also be prepared for things to not go kablooie. So I save and invest just the same as I keep weeks of food in the house. I enjoy life with my wife and child, company trips, save for retirement, stuff like that. Always up my sleeve or in my back pocket or the back of my mind though, lies an exit strategy.

Ajax and kellory like this.
  5. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

40, male, Database Developer -Looking for something new, just don't know what yet.

6. Ajax

Ajax Monkey++

That's a good point. We can prep all day long but we need to continue planning for the future and eventual retirement.

On the bright side we can live of preps for a while after we retire if needed, LOL.

7. Pax Mentis

Pax Mentis Philosopher King |RIP 11-4-2017

Just because you retire doesn't mean you don't need your preps any more.

We've been "fully" retired for about 13 years now and still keep up with the rotation of LTS food and even accumulation of things we didn't think of over the 20 years before that...and things that we didn't have a need for then (like medications).

We spent most of our working lives prepping for either SHTF or a comfortable retirement.

Neither my wife or I have much chance of surviving much more than 6 mos after SHTF these days...but the kids and grandkids deserve a shot at a full life.

Dawg23, ColtCarbine, oldawg and 3 others like this.
  8. Ajax

Ajax Monkey++

I was referring to someone that has a ton of preps and never bothered to plan for retirement. You know, if your dirt poor when you retire you can at least survive off of your preps.

9. Formerbiker

Formerbiker Monkey+++

Just turned 62, IT supervisor/retired (3 years now)

10. DMGoddess

DMGoddess Monkey+++

Okay, late 40s (I'm not ashamed of my age), female, bookstore manager.

11. Harbin

Harbin Monkey+

32, male, (another) pipefitter, married, 2 kids (so far), and a small farm of animals.

12. DMGoddess

DMGoddess Monkey+++

I'll see your 'old enough to have used AOL', and raise you 'old enough to remember before hard drives on PCs', old man. :p

13. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

The REAL Question is: Do you remember when Hard Drives were the size of DishWashers, and spun removable 10" Platter Stacks, that held 10 Mb, and Processors were the size of Refrigerators, and were wheeled in on ForkLifts? Now that is Ancient, when it comes to Computers, Hard Drives..... Then there were the CPUs that you toggled in the Boot Loader with a Row of Switches on the Front Panel, and if you did it correctly, and Hit the Start Button, the Lights Flashed, the Platters Spun, and after a few seconds the Console Display started Streaming the OS, being loaded, for 5 minutes, and then you got the ":CMD" Prompt..... and if you didn't, You got NOTHING..... Older than Moses......

14. Jaybird

Jaybird Monkey+++

Remember them!? I used to work on them. :cool:

15. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

39.5 and holding, I drive roadgrader's....and i like midget's.

16. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

Do you like really small race cars too?

17. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I think they are cute and awesome at the same time with all those pony's under the hood.

18. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

50 yo married male. Mechanic moonlighting as a sound technician. My children are older than some in this thread ;)

19. Gafarmboy

Gafarmboy Monkey+++

53 years young going on 75; Professional divorcee (Trice married ); plumber; Special Ed. school Teacher; bouncer; college prof; Dish washer; world traveler; Solider of fortune; Carpenter; Computer repair Hack; wanna-a-be farmer; hand gun instructor to the rich and dumb. 2 boys of my own, One daughter; One old neutered cat that is blind; one useless pound save hound that is so lazy it won't scratch its own fleas; and that is just the list of stuff the statue of limitations is out on....biglaff

Do you remember FORTRAN and COBOL....? back in the late 70's iirc.
    Been Hell of a ride..

20. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Cobol came after Fortran as I remember it. (Had enough trouble with Fortran in late '70 that a career in programming got ruled out really quickly.)

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7