Ah, Ya don't know from beans....

Discussion in 'Survival of the Fittest' started by DKR, Nov 21, 2018.

1. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

White beans that is...

Navy or pea beans
    Also called pea beans, Navy beans are small, oval-shaped, and quick-cooking. Because they get creamy when cooked, they’re perfect for mashing against the side of the pot, pureeing in dips, and thickening soups, stews, ragouts, and more. They have a mild flavor and are the bean of choice for classic Boston baked beans, Navy Bean Chowder, and quintessential South Louisiana-Style White Beans & Rice. Interestingly, the Navy bean name comes from its use as a food staple by the U.S. Navy in the early 1900s. While all beans are high in fiber, Navy beans have the most — 19 grams per cup!
    Cooked with bit of ham and spooned over cornbread (after the butter and maple syrup are on the cornbread) makes a quick and hearty meal.

Great Northern Beans
    Larger than Navy Beans but smaller than Cannellini beans, medium-sized Great Northern beans are known for their mild, nutty flavor and firm flesh. Great in soups and stews, they hold their shape better than Navy beans, take on the flavors of the foods they’re cooked with, and are commonly used in French cassoulets.
    These also are good with bits of ham over cornbread. If you are eating as a soup, add onions and ham or bacon.

Cannellini Beans
    Cannellini beans are the largest of the group and because of their traditional kidney shape, they can also be referred to as White Kidney Beans. Meatier than Navy or Great Northern beans, they have a nutty, earthy flavor and tender flesh, and are often used in Italian dishes like Minestrone. They retain their shape and texture well, so they’re perfect to use in salads, soups, stews, and chili.

I love these in my chili instead of kidney beans - and I add Garbanzo beans (chickpeas).
    I also add corn and green chilies - but this is about beans.. Very good over cornbread as well...

Baby Lima Beans
    Also called “butterbeans”, Baby Lima beans are small, smooth, and creamy with a rich, buttery texture. They’re starchier than other beans and are often used in soups, stews, succotash, and casseroles, or just cooked simply with herbs and spices. In the south, they’re often cooked with ham or bacon and served over rice.
    Sorry - had to many Ham and MFers in a can, so Lima beans of any color are out! Still, these are considered a white bean.

If there is any interest, I'll more about beans - black, red, pinto, etc and some quick serving ideas. Life isn't just black beans and rice!

Let me know!

Motomom34, chelloveck, duane and 10 others like this.
  2. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

I love Navy Beans, made with a nice chunk of ham hocks, poured over corn bread. Yeah, I haven't had it for years. Wife can't eat them so if I want them then I will have to cook them myself...my cooking is toxic, which is putting it mildly so...haven't had any in years.

I wonder about storage? What is their longevity using Mylar bags and OA packets? I got a document referencing "Beans, Great Northern - 8-10 years (at 70 degrees F.)" which seems rather long to me and that is supposedly without any type of prevention like Mylar/OA.

Motomom34, Hanzo, Ura-Ki and 3 others like this.
  3. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

We put a bit of Tasso in ours and I like Slap Ya Mama seasoning.

4. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

I make baked beans in the oven in a crock with Navy Beans, molasses and a small onion whole. I love them. I like any type of white bean. White bean chicken chili is my new favorite winter meal.

Motomom34, Hanzo, Ura-Ki and 4 others like this.
  5. Bandit99

I need to see about putting some Navy beans into my preps. Strangely, Winco and other places around here don't stock Navy Beans in bulk like other beans. I got a 25 pound sack of pinto beans put up and I definitely don't like pinto beans, but, of course, I'm ex-army so I would eat anything when hungry and I have but you can't purchase a 25 pound sack of Navy beans here. I think they do carry Northern Beans which I think are about the same in taste but bigger. I don't think I have ever had Great Northern beans...

Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
    Motomom34, Gator 45/70, Hanzo and 2 others like this.
  6. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

I love me some white beans!

As a ranch hand I cooked many a pot of butter beans in the Mr. Coffee while at work. Water, beans, and a chunk of smoked fatback to start and a bullion cube to finish made a great finish to a cold wet day

Motomom34, Gator 45/70, Hanzo and 2 others like this.
  7. Seepalaces

Seepalaces Monkey+++

Do you guys have a cash and carry? They have navy beans and great northern in bulk.

8. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

We do smoked Red Beans and ham! Soak the beans like normal and wash, let sit for a few hours to dry and place on wire mesh in the smoker for 4 hours! You can add other beans or my fav, black beans. Place a ham hock untrimmed on a rack above the beans and coat with brown sugar/molasses and spices glaze and baste every 15 min or so untill you have a nice caramelized bark! Trim the bark and add to stock pot while digging out any marrow for the stock as well. Add a few shots of Jack Daniels and cover beans with water. Bring to a low boil and then reduce heat to a low simmer and slow cook until beans are nice and soft. You can serve as is, or add pine apple slices or Apple slices!
    You can also add steamed rice for a nice beans and rice meal or side to BBQ Meat!

9. duane

duane Monkey+++

Beans, so may different types, lentils, soy beans and its end products, different types of corn, sorghum, canes, potatoes, squash, pumpkins, radishes, cabbages, kales, onions, etc. There is a whole world of both long term survival storage and very productive survival gardening foods and I only wish I really knew how to grow, process, store, and cook them.

Motomom34, Ura-Ki, Seepalaces and 2 others like this.
  10. Bandit99

Unfortunately, no. And, you would think that one would thrive up here. We have a Winco and a Costco.
    EDIT: WHOA!!! Hold the phone! I did a simple Google to locate the nearest C&C and BEHOLD! It appears one recently opened or its been here a while without my knowledge. It is on my list to visit next week. Big THANKS for mentioning it!

11. Seepalaces

Seepalaces Monkey+++

I've found information on growing, storing, processing, and cooking them in the archives. Beans are pretty easy to grow, but growing them in the number needed to store them is rather a full time job. I'd prefer to buy them in bulk as they are so inexpensive.

Zimmy, Motomom34, Gator 45/70 and 2 others like this.
  12. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Don't forget lentles and peas, they both store well and can make for very Hardy meals! Lentils are also a high yeald to soil area plant, making them more efficient to grow and easier to prosess quickly and safely!

Motomom34, Gator 45/70 and Seepalaces like this.
  13. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

Field peas are also easy to grow with a nice yield. They even make the soil stronger and healthier.

Seepalaces and Gator 45/70 like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7