aint it funny how the old timers

Discussion in 'Blades' started by firekey, Apr 15, 2014.

1. firekey

firekey Monkey

got by just fine with just regular butcher knives? :)

Bear and Georgia_Boy like this.
  2. Georgia_Boy

Georgia_Boy Monkey+++

I guess I am an old timer. Forgetful, thought today was Sunday, went out for the mail in my bathrobe w/ white skinny legs showing; my wife was embarrassed. Anyway back to your point, the last couple of generations have gotten accustomed to specialization: knives, guns, tools, etc.
    You can see it when camping with a group of friends or family. Many folks will have a variety of the same item, one each for a specific task rather than my grandad who used one tool for a variety of chores.
    GB

Bear, STANGF150, Mike and 1 other person like this.
  3. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

And I suppose the youngun's think they know everything and have a tool for every occasion.... :rolleyes:

Bear and Mike like this.
  4. -06

-06 Monkey+++

Used an old M1 Garand bayonet forever as a kid/young adult. Now there are skinners and a half dozen specialty blades.

Gator 45/70, Bear, Mike and 1 other person like this.
  5. Mike

Mike Ol' Army Sergeant Monkey

Somehow I can see you using an M1 bayonet for dang near anything. lol. Keep doing so, you are good to go

Bear, kellory and BTPost like this.
  6. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

When all you got is a hammer. All problems resemble nails.

Bear, Mike, kellory and 1 other person like this.
  7. firekey

firekey Monkey

when you are in the biz of selling fancy knives to fools, you hate anyone pointing out $10 Old Hickory butcher knives work just fine, Always did and always will.

Bear and ozarkgoatman like this.
  8. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

What do you do for a living in general.... knife selling?

Bear likes this.
  9. -06

-06 Monkey+++

Best "K nife ee" for general work is one a friend gave me. It is a six inch Gerber that is razor sharp, holds an edge forever, and the handle is moulded. Have cleaned two deer and two hogs and it is still extremely sharp.
    ETA: my son was so impressed with it that he bought one.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
    Bear, ghrit, Hammerhead and 3 others like this.
  10. Mike

Mike Ol' Army Sergeant Monkey

I love a Gerber... excellent knives

Bear likes this.
  11. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Gerber blades are pretty good, and their multi-_tools are well made and carry a life time warrentee. I have already replaced two of them.

Mike and Bear like this.
  12. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

My favorite is a short little Bagwell damascus. Fits right in with Blackpowder or on the belt. But I don't remember ever breaking a knife or wearing one out.

Mike and Bear like this.
  13. MtnManJoe

MtnManJoe Monkey

Am I the only one, who thinks that whether your Genuine Forum/Group Approved "Bushcraft knife" cost $26.00 or $600.00, that they all look pretty much identical - and All have pretty much the same specs??
    ... just an observation

Mike likes this.
  14. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Depends on your definition of Bush Knife.... and how it was made, and used..... My Knife, and its Use, may be very different than some FlatLander Monkey's Knife and Use... ..... YMMV.....

Mike likes this.
  15. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Flatlander ? Man it's so flat down here that a bridge is considered ' High ' Oh btw I use 35 year old Buck knives on my game !

16. Sapper John

Sapper John Analog Monkey in a Digital World

Yep, I have used a Buck 110 on Deer since the late 70's! It does a fine job.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  17. BTPost

In Alaska, everyone from "down south" is a Flatlander.... until they have spent at least one winter, in ALASKA..... The native term is
    "Che Choc Ooh"

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  18. HK_User

Last time I heard you had another name for the Cruise Ship Passengers!

Mike likes this.
  19. BTPost

"Touristoes"

Mike likes this.
  20. HK_User

When I made that trip the locals thought I was from another part of the cold north. Course wearing my 30 year old camos, the old brown spot type, a beard and mukluks might have had something to do with it.

I will say that I found a great Mexican Place at one of the stops, right off the pier.

Mike likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7