1. The Topic of the Month for October is "Make this the Perfect Bugout Location". Please join the discussion in the TOTM forum.

Air moisture and packing dry goods

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ajax, Apr 29, 2011.

1. Ajax

Ajax Monkey++

I need to seal up some rice, lentils and split peas in mylar soon but I started wondering with all the rain is now a bad time because there is more moisture in the air or does it not make that much of a difference?

If it can be a problem how should I determine when is a good time, higher heat and no rain for 3 - 4 days? If I placed the dry goods in a room with a dehumidifier for about 24 hours and then sealed them up would that help?

I know baking at low temps can take extra moisture out but that's a bit hard to do with 200 lbs of product.
  2. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Moderator Moderator Founding Member

This is just a guess on my part, but unless you have moisture condensing out of the air on the walls/windows/etc. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

I've put rice, beans & wheat berries into mylar bags & buckets in the middle of TN summers (i.e. VERY humid, to the point I need to have fish gills implanted to breath LOL ) and never had a problem.

If you are inside and your home A/C is running then you are already dehumidifying the air in your home.

My typical proceedure is to freeze the product in a chest freezer for 48 hrs, allow to warm to room temp for 24hrs (this allows condensation to leave) then into mylar bags with O2 absorbers and sealed inside a 5 gal bucket. Overkill? maybe, but an once of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Good luck
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary