air rifles

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by tedrow42, Sep 19, 2014.

Tags:
  1. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Single spring and .177 is fine for small game. Like other types of rounds you need to use the pellet that fits your game of choice.

Head shots are best with fur types and that can mean a flat nose pellet. Pointed pellets for feathered game will give more speed and able to blow through the wing feathers when a breast shot is not in the offing.

2. wastelander

wastelander Bad English, bare with me

My honest oppinion would be to stay away from both flat and pointed projectiles. Flat nosed pellets in my book is made for paper punching and they are great at putting round, easy to measure, holes in targets and they carry less mass than other pellets. Pointed pellets have a way of blowing through the animal and with the relatively low mass of the pellet this leaves whatever little energy left in the pellet outside the animal if you understand my English here (sorry, it's hard writing in your third language, doing my best though).
    Domed pellets are the choice for most airgun-hunters for their Mass/weight and their accuracy (if picked properly, domed pellets are used in Field Target competitions and are made to be highly accurate and carry as much knock-down-power to the target at possible, look at the competition type on youtube or the like and you'll know what I mean)

A .357 slug shot from an airgun around 600fps would be different and according to many I have spoken to is more like shooting a muzzle-loader without the smoke.

I shoot neck/back/head or heart/lounge-shots. If I shoot a few rabbits for a family farm and have the missus and the kids of the family around me I'll go for the heart since this tends to not having the bunnies twitching and freaking them out.

This is what I hunt with nowadays. Great little package to have in the trunk when out fishing and such. 8 shots bolt action and the shroud with baffles makes this my favourite non-powderburner :) To concider is that this little carbine with the scope and that was something like $650 here and my Mini14 was about half that, but there's legal reasons here like I said to keep a hunting air rifle. Otherwise I'd just use a .22 firearm.
    [​IMG]

This is a fun springer! Kicks like a mule and with ease puts a hole through a car door. But it weights.. ALOT and cracks like a .223. Not worth it in my book if you don't just like to have an air cannon. Tried shooting it with those polymer-pointed pellets but they were to soft and split in the barrel from the accelaration. It's a turkish Hatsan. I know, I hate moving the lawn.
    [​IMG]

3. tedrow42

tedrow42 Monkey+

I ordered a rugger made 22 last night but I need to call and change my order. In comunoies (illinois) anything that shoots faster than 700 fps is a fire arm and you need a foid card and where I am game wardens would check the speed just to get a color

Any way think I'm going with a Benjamin pump 22 650 or so fps and I here its reliable for the price

wastelander likes this.
  4. wastelander

wastelander Bad English, bare with me

I would say the Benjamin side of Crosman is nothing short of the best air rifles you can get in the pricerange. But to get you drooling a bit, check this baby out

FX Airguns ยป The Indy Arrow

5. tedrow42

tedrow42 Monkey+

6. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Yes ,agreed So where is the nice compressor that was posted ? Im using Air tanks and scuba stores , would like to do my own .

I updated my original post .
    Kell got me correct

Sloth

kellory likes this.
  7. tekdoggy

tekdoggy Monkey

kellory and Cruisin Sloth like this.
  8. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Thank You for the post

1. Bishop
    Here's my pCP 22 caliber air gun. [MEDIA]