airguns...advantage or handicap?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Tango3, Feb 4, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

Looking into airguns...

Is there anything "Air guns"(spring or pump) Do better than rim fires? Do they have a big advantage or do the numbers(balistics) just present a handicap?
    Noise? guess there's always "cb" caps.
    Accuracy? I see air gun folks talk about 1/2 pellet diameter(.9"ctr-ctr) accuracy at 35 yards.

Is The biggest advantage purely a statutory( edited "regulatory" , thanks black jack for the right word) one?
    The pure freedom resulting from the lack of legal restrictions.(I.E. look it up," add to cart" , check out and ups shows up! I'm once again buying a tool or machine, I'm not considered a potential criminal for buying somethingtaser1)? [coffee2]

2. Blackjack

Blackjack Monkey+++

I think the only advantages would be:
    Regulatory
    Noise Level
    Ammo Cost
    Ability to make your own ammo/air

3. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I have a few air powered weapons and do not make the mistake of assuming that they are toys; they are in fact, a weapon and quite capable of dropping something into the pot. Some of the higher velocity ones (one rifle clocks at 1150 fps) are as loud as a .22, so quiet isn't really there but they do sell suppressors for these but its kind of a grey area. Ammo is something that will never run out because you can mold them or turn them or probably even make-shift with a hacksaw and a piece of correct diameter metal or even plastic rod. Accuracy is decent in most of them, at least as good as an of-the-shelf . .22 plinker. Some variations as to projectiles could probably be improvised, such as poison darts or hypodermic loads. Strike-anywhere matches are fun to shoot out of them too.

4. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

?? PPI (paper piercing incindiary?)[coffee2]hmmmm...
    REMEMBER
    stop
    drop
    and Roll,
    Jes' roll seacowboys aroundin tha' dert a little he be okay..
    seesawseesaw[reddevil][winkthumb]

5. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

I've dropped squirrels and small birds with a barrel-cocking air rifle - .177 caliber. Only 640FPS, a 1000+FPS would be a bit longer ranged.
    Noise is a factor, if one doesn't want the neighbors to know - the guns are NOT silent!
    A few cans of pellets would last awhile, for small game hunting.
    So, yes, they DO have a place in our preps.

6. hartage

hartage Monkey+++

Your particular gun isn't silent because it is a spring-air, very noisy. The pump type models that don't use a big spring and are under 1,150 fps (supersonic speed, bullet creates plenty of noise through air) are very quiet.

7. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

subsonic.22lr hp $9.99/100
    16oz dr pepper $1.29
    look of surprise on the squirrels
    face:priceless

8. hartage

hartage Monkey+++

Ya gotta do it right. Get all ghillie on them. (homage to the hood) The squirrel next to him will just hear a wet thump. Objective won't even see it coming.

9. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

The last squirrel I bagged was sure surprised - got the bugger with a Red Ryder at ten yards. Quietest air rifle I have . . . [lolol]

"It'll put your eye out!"

10. hartage

hartage Monkey+++

Can't really say I've ever had a red-ryder. My parents (anti gun) would never let me have even an air-gun. So my first gun my "red-ryder" turned out to be a 30-06 that I convinced a friend to buy for me at 16. Boy was I ever surprised at the recoil the sheer violence of my first ever shot. They let me get an airgun a while later. They didn't find out till I was about 26 that I've always had a 30-06 since 16. I got my (still same) stainless 1911 at 18 in the same way. Back then you had to be 18 for a rifle and 21 for a pistol to buy. But to "gift" it to someone they only had to be 14. So yes I was still legal (as far as I know). No that loophole isn't around anymore has since been patched up.

1. Bishop
    Here's my pCP 22 caliber air gun. [MEDIA]
    Thread by: Bishop, Oct 24, 2019, 4 replies, in forum: Firearms
  2. HK_User
  3. tedrow42
  4. wastelander
  5. HK_User
  6. Gator 45/70
  7. Witch Doctor 01
  8. ricdoug
  9. Blackjack
  10. Blackjack