AK Build

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Seacowboys, Apr 9, 2008.

1. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Looks like you have found your calling. Feel free to buy and build many more. Then when you get too many you can sell them to monkeys so we can upgrade the official SM rifle to a Romy.

2. mage2

mage2 Monkey+++

with all the trouble that i have run into. (and the fact that i got this from someone that had already started a screw build) i am at the point that i am looking for someone to help :), meaning i am hoping to find someone that has done this before to have a time when we could meet up and they tell me what im doing wrong/right

3. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

What kinda trouble you having? I made a few mistakes on the first one, fixed the problems, got over the learning curve, and found a few tricks that made the second one much easier and the next will be even easier. If you can make it to Mobile, AL, I got all the tooling to do the job now and will be glad to help out.

4. mage2

mage2 Monkey+++

Sea,
    you are only a 10 hour drive away. almost worth it :)

So because of what the person that had this before me has done to this poor thing, I think a screw build is no longer a good option. I know of at least one point where they drilled out the rivet but ate through the wall . When they were drilling the holes in the receiver they missed on a few, so I need to get those holes filled. at this point I do not have a wielding machine.. yet. this is a amd-65 build but I dont really want a "pistol" so im going to wield/braze on something to the end of the barrel to make it legal. when the person gave me the parts, he also gave me all the parts left over from a few other builds. So i have more than i need as far as parts go.

Should I wield the thing together? would that work or would it cause a failure?

I will have to take some pictures to better illustrate my problems. And i think i am goign to take another swing at removing the barrel.

This is my first build and i am extremely worried about making this situation worse than it is now.

5. CBMS

CBMS Looking for a safe place

Hey sea, what are you going to call your rifles? I think they should be called Seacowboy WASRs The stamp should be a cowboy riding the rifle like a bucking bronco.

Also How much would you charge to make one of those for us monkeys? Or that 37mm?

6. Seacowboys

That 37mm is a registered 40mm M79 DD. I don't think I can legally sell them to anyone but I have all the tooling and parts and would be glad to "help" someone put a kit together;)

7. CBMS

But what about a purchase of a SC WASR?
    Side question, Does WASR mean Wooden ASsault Rifle? Thats what I have always assumed.

8. Seacowboys

9. CBMS

Hey SC I would love to go over how to make these, I got a summer to do it in, but no tools. Can't really afford the machining bits, but want to do it otherwise.
    I was a bit dense before, i got ya now.

10. Seacowboys

1. Demilling. You can start by grinding the rivet heads off.
    2. Push the barrel pin out from the left side with a star socket and vise; you can put washers behind the right side to buck. The barrel can be held in a vise loosely with the front trunion pushing against the jaws. Several pennies dropped into the receiver will cushion the chamber while driving the barrel out. I used a 12mm deepwell socket and a 3lb hammer to drive the barrels off onto an awaiting pillow.
    3. Remove the receiver pieces and save them as a template for drilling the trunion holes. Grind the rivets flat with the trunions.
    4. Drive the front trunion rivets out with a punch.
    5. Grind the trigger guard rivets down and seperate the magazine latch, etc. as best you can. Saves time just to drill the things out.
    6. The rear trunion rivets really need to be drilled through to relieve them before punching them out or you will break a lot of punches. If you have a shop press or even a big vise, I found that appropriately sized star sockets work better than punches.
    7. the two pairs of barrel trunion rivets are best delt with using a rivet tool made from a cheap pair of bolt cutters but I also found that if you push the barrel back in and heat the rivets cherry red then pound them in with a piece of 1/2" round stock drilled to shape the rivet head, that this is easier and faster than the rivet tool. You still need the rivet tool or some kind of bucking bar for the lower trunion rivets.
    8. The trigger-guard/mag catch rivets need a bucking plate, just a simple piece of plate with a 1/4 hole started for the rivet head. You also need to make a rivet seater out of a piece of 1/2" round-stock with a cut-out to get you past the rails. It is much easier to seat the back rivets if you haven't installed the spacer yet.
    9. Use the top cover to mark the position of the rear trunion. The back of the cover should just fit into the notch on the rear trunion. Mark it and use the removed pieces or receiver as a drilling template through one side with a small diameter drill. Use a round file or Dremel to make the hole fit then drill through the trunion with the correct size..
    10. When you fit the fire control parts, remember to get a wire or some clips to hold the trigger and hammer pins.
    11. The safety will not fit correctly the first time so mark it and remove enough so that it will clear the back of the trigger then put it back together.
    12. Keep lots of band aids handy and a pen and paper to help you remember some of your more colorful expletives when the hammer springs slips loose and peels a strip of meat with it.

11. Seacowboys

BTW,
    I'll be glad to host a build one weekend if anyone is interested. I have all the tools available for both AKs and Fn Fals. If a few folks want to make a trip to Mobile, we can make this happen.

12. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I'm interested, but timing will be critical. The move and followup activities could well interfere. I'd say not before fall. I'd also say don't wait on me, there are some other things that may crop up (none particularly pleasant) that could keep me home. Bravo on the idea. [applaud]

13. Seacowboys

I'll assemble kits for my friends on the halves and provide the receiver flats, rails, and rivets.

14. Seacowboys

New additions awaiting fire-control parts to arrive.
    BORCOGoldeneye 003.

15. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Nice work, looks like we have a new official SM rifle. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that more of us have AK's than MNs.

16. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

If it weren't for security concerns, I'd say we should add them up and see. Ammo availability will rule in the end, says me and maybe me only.

17. Seacowboys

I didn't include the fifth one because it has some headspace issues that I need to learn how to resolve. There is not much data on fixing an AK headspace issue, just on identifying it.

18. mage2

mage2 Monkey+++

how much are the fire control parts running ya? and where are you ordering yours from?
    I really need to get some time to finish mine.

19. Seacowboys

AKparts.com has Tapco FC parts for $28.85

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7