Alabama doesn't like it when you don't need them

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by CATO, Jun 17, 2015.

1. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

Op-ed here: I only know what I've read and there may be more to the story, but, here's my take: there's a certain type of person drawn to local politics of late, and generally, these people have been liberal and the type to want to add more laws to the books than their previous scumbag pols. If you've read any of the 299 Days books, think "Nancy Ringman." These are the busybodies who start on their HOA telling people what they can do with their homes and revel in the fact that people have to ASK them for permission to do things. These people are not the self-less people who would rather be doing something else, but give up their time because the job needs to be done and they know that no one else will step up and do the job without screwing things up.

So, these people see something, deem it not to their liking, then, actually take time that they could be doing something productive to figure out ways to mess with people's lives. In the current situation, it is obvious they guy lives away from people and wants to be left alone (anyone remember Randy Weaver?). Yet, the busybodies come up with bs changes just show their power.
    Alabama city tosses property rights aside, threatens military vet for living 'off the grid' - Yellowhammer News

Alabama city tosses property rights aside, threatens military vet for living ‘off the grid’
    • WRITTEN BY CLIFF SIMS
    • ON JUNE 14, 2015 AT 10:42 PM CDT

[​IMG]

Tyler Truitt, Huntsville resident living “off-the-grid.”

HUNTSVILLE, Ala. — The city of Huntsville has filed a lawsuit seeking to evict a military veteran from his home because they deem his “off-the-grid” lifestyle to be “unsafe.”

According to a report by WAFF, Tyler Truitt currently lives inside the city limits of Huntsville, but is not connected to city utilities. City officials have told him they consider his residence a “trailer” and say he must be connected to city hookups, and they are so adamant about it they have decided to come after him in court.

“They came and they condemned our house and told us if we stayed here we’d be arrested for trespassing on our own property, and the reason why is (because) they said it was unsafe living conditions because we don’t have city utilities hooked up,” Truitt told the local TV station.

Truitt lives on two acres of property and sustains himself and his girlfriend entirely off of his land.

“We live out here off the grid, 100 percent self-sustaining,” he explained. “So I basically made all my utilities. I have my solar panels, I have my rainwater collection and stuff.”

In spite of the city’s threats, Truitt says he’s not going anywhere unless they decide to send the police to his property and haul him off to jail.

“You have to stand up for what you believe in,” he said. “They could come out here today if they wanted to and take us to jail for trespassing, if that’s what they want to call it… that’d be fine with me. I’ll still come back the next day and the next day and the next day because it’s my home and because I live here. Where else am I supposed to go really?”

Truitt says all he is asking is for the opportunity to enjoy the freedoms he fought to protect.

“I took an oath that I would support and defend the constitution and the freedoms that entails, and I really feel like those are being trampled upon,” he explained. “Give people the most liberty and personal liberty you can afford to give them without infringing on other people’s rights. I just don’t see how we’re hurting anyone by being here.”

Huntsville officials have ignored local media’s requests for comment.

UPDATE: Huntsville Responds: Living off-the-grid in the city limits is an unsafe ‘alternative lifestyle’

2. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

Around here the ones who run for city seats are as conservative as Billy Graham but they want to nannystate us all half to death too. It's all about the power to make others live like you think they should.

3. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

I view the two party political belief system as a circle: extreme ends of libs and cons meet in that they want to control everything you do--either in your bedroom or everywhere else. Libertarians sit off to the side having a beer and looking disgusted, then smile, shakes head and has another drink.

4. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Ahmm,

I know folks in a few counties around here that have always lived off the grid. They also do not live on the dole. Pay cash at the Docs, ER and Hosp and have for years. Nope, no Meth labbers, just independent and not willing to live in a box on the streets in a city.

Another that lives on his Boat, Solar Panels and a stump to tie up to is all they need. Another couple that sail the world, work when they want and always on the look out for a quiet cove. More too that just want to be on their own.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7