For Sale Aladdin Lamp model 23

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Trade' started by TnAndy, Jul 4, 2019.

1. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

Interesting that the additional height for higher altitudes is so little. I seldom see burn issues with anything here at near sea level, but I wonder if the added height might help with some of my more twitchy lamps? The fire breathing Rayo's would make good test subjects.
    Rayo draft.

I learn cool stuff here all the time.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
    SB21 likes this.
  2. sdr

sdr Monkey++

Yup those are them. Forget how much they cost. I didn't see the reason to buy one. i try to make everything i can. I'll go broke slower that way.

SB21 likes this.
  3. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Spiders are the most common problem with liquid fueled lamps.
    The little darlins will build a nest in air supplies and then you have a person complaing and making claims about "poor INGANEERING of X product.
    The most common problem is with Colemans and the airflow around the Generator and the stack. One small Spidy and folks will end up with a whole stack of parts and a Broke Lantern.

I have 3 that I "fixed" after spending a Buck a piece at garge sales they are perfect.
    Spark
    Fuel
    Air Flow

Oddcaliber likes this.
  4. hot diggity

@HK_User, you'll have no spider worries with the Aladdin. Just burn them off.

Multi-fuel pressure lamps are my weakness, and I can make them perform well on lots of inefficient field due to my altitude. I know of the spider frustration in the air tubes. The only thing that I've not been able to fix on any model has been stress cracked and leaking founts.

The old Mil-Spec Coleman lanterns had dual air tubes, with one plugged. This plug was removed for high altitude use, or when spiders blocked the first one. I have a couple that I run on both tubes and they roar like jet engines and look like dual stars on the porch from a distance.

Even Coleman propane lanterns have a mild hiss, and Rayo's make a purr sound as they warm up, but the Aladdin is silent. The final great pinacle of wick/mantle lamp development before people started switching to quick-lite Coleman gas pressure lamps and electric light.

My only objection to the Aladdin is its height. If you store them without the chimney the mantle is exposed... and
    there's a mild kerosene smell. The fix?
    s0058688_sc7. I fit the cup over the fragile mantle, and box the chimney and shade. Then I can stick unused lamps on a shelf for storage

HK_User likes this.
  5. HK_User

No storage here. Displayed on a high ledge for near instant use.

6. apache235

apache235 Monkey+++

Don't quite know why it posted side ways but this is mine, no way it gets stored.

upload_2019-7-6_10-57-30.

7. HK_User

Just makes it easier to read the book titles.

hot diggity likes this.
  8. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

Yeah....SM has a special photo feature that recognizes books and arranges the photos in 'read title mode' unless you click a box to over ride to "normal" layout.

/sarc...... :D

9. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

ALSO KEEP 4 FEET MIN FROM TOP OF PIPE , TO ANYTHING !!
    FIRE STARTER IT IS !!

SEE PIX ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Sloth
    know the lamp and power it has.

10. hot diggity

True. They make great heaters in the winter with adequate ventilation, are near useless in a breeze and don't fare well if knocked over. Yet they survive, and bring us joyful silence and white light.

Forget where the chimney is while reaching for something and pass an arm too near it and it becomes an
    unpleasant depilatory device.

I'm not testing the results of knocking over an Aladdin, but I will try it with a beater Rayo when it cools off outside a bit. Coleman I know can be safely inverted, and Dietz hurricane lamps will self extinguish if the globe is intact when they're knocked over.

Little to nothing I can find online about the results of knocking over a lit Aladdin 23. As a guy who enjoys late nights working with fire and pressurized gasoline this makes me really curious.

Mrs. O'Leary's cow isn't telling.

FYI, my Rayo with the whisps of blue flame above the chimney was intentionally over-fueled to get that shot.

HK_User likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7