Alaska is selling Wilderness Land, by Seal Bid.... in 2014

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by BTPost, May 18, 2014.

1. fmhuff

fmhuff Monkey+++

BTPost, what are realistic prices, parcel sizes and places you would consider good to live in?

It's been quite some time since I lived in Alaska and my knowledge is a bit faded and limited.
    I'm not a hermit or is my wife but we do love the place. Ball park price and locations by guestimate is good enough. Thanks.

2. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Alaska is a very BIG place... Prices and sizes are as varied as a the locations.... If you are looking for Lake, or Water Front, figure twice or three times, what any Land Locked Parcel of the same size is going for. If you want Road access to the Highway System, then that will increase the price some.... The cheapest Land is complete Alaska Wilderness, No Roads, No Services, No Utilities, just Raw land. I know of a few places that are for sale, local to Me. One has a nice Cabin, with a Big Shop, on 3 acres. It is connected to our "Road System" (barely a Trail thru the Trees) but our roads do NOT connect with anything else. NO Power, Water comes off the Roof, or from a Creek an the property, and OutHouse with a nice view of the place, but NO Heated Seat. It is one of those places, that one would need to come look at, before deciding. costs would be somewhere between $50KUS and $75KUS depending on the deal that could be struck.
    Then there is another Place just down the Trail. Two Cabins, ShowerHouse, PowerHouse, Two Shops and All the Tools, TurnKey Outfit, complete on 2.5 acres. comes with 3-4 4 Wheelers, and likely a Fishing Skiff & Motor. It also comes with a 40ft Conex Storage Van down at the Barge Landing. Older couple, that are getting to Old to maintain it. Listed for $250KUS. .....

3. Tyler Danann

Tyler Danann Monkey+

You don't need to be a US citizen to own land, just make sure you file the P Taxes and no-one will be banging on your doorstep.

chelloveck likes this.
  4. Tyler Danann

Tyler Danann Monkey+

I like Alaska a lot, but the short construction and growing season, the requirement to fly in supplies would buzz me off quite a bit. I was also reading that the forest patrol snoop about and check on people open carrying (according to this survival magazine promoting Alaska).

A survivalist buddy I know travels through Canada to get to his land in Alaska and can only take one firearm (a survival .22LR and a 20g combined) across the border.
    It's a good state overall and it's got somethings in common with where I have land in Wyoming.

5. BTPost

If you live near a Town, you can have "Forest Snoops" around, some, but if you are a Bush Dweller, you might see your local Trooper, once or twice a year, if your very lucky, and he likes you Lunch Cooking.... Mine usually just flies over and we say "Hello" on the Unicom, and that's it, unless he is out, to Police Up a Body, or looking for a BadGuy, or Poacher. Those things maybe happen every third year, 0r so, around here.... Alaskan Bush is a Law unto itself.... Troopers just come get the Bodies, after the Fact, and collect the Flatlander Idiots, who think this is a good place to Hide, from their previous Bad Deeds. Alaska is an Open Carry State, as well as an Concealed Cary State, that requires NO License, or Permit. We do have a Concealed Carry Permit that you can apply for, but the Statute that did REQUIRE it was Repealed, and they kept the Permit Statute on the Books for Reciprocity reasons with other States. Also Alaska has a Subsistence Exemption, for the State Felony FireArms Possession Statute, if you meet the Requirements in the Statute. This doesn't exempt you from the Federal Statute, but the Feds are usually way to busy dealing with REAL bad Guys, to mess with a reformed Felon, who meets the State Requirements, and doesn't get into trouble with the local LEOs, otherwise..... Subsistence is a way of life out here, and if a Reformed Felon couldn't possess a Weapon, to Hunt with,they likely would starve to death. ....

Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
  6. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Have a brother that was a AF Spook, he was in the Near Island Group, not sure if it was Shemya island but he loved it in the summer.

7. Maxflax

Maxflax Lightning in a bottle

I HATE snow and ice, only reenforced by slipping on icy stairs a few years ago and nearly breaking my tailbone. It hurt so bad I nearly cried, and I'm one of the tough, pain tolerant types. Every now and then we get a few days of it, and only our Rotties are happy. They love snow

8. Toad

Toad Monkey+

I have a son who works for the FAA in Anchorage Snoozebum, if you send me a personal message I'll give you his name. Having a friend on the inside can be beneficial if your a full time pilot.

9. BTPost

I haven't been a Command Pilot in 40 years... The plane belonged to a local Bush Pilot. It is on floats, now, and is owned by a local Scheduled Carrier here'bouts. The Bush Pilot was killed in a plane crash, while hunting up in the Brooks Range, a few years back. The closest I get to flying, these days, is a trip to town, and operating a Unicom, here local. Thanks anyway....

10. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Looks intriguing, especially the hunting and fishing. I took an interest about 20-25 years ago. But months of twilight would be tough. And I've been a desert rat since the mid 70s. I prefer mild winters and few mosquitoes. Open and concealed carry with and without a permit is also legal here (one of only three states where CCW is legal without a permit - thank you Gov Brewer).
    There are advantages and disadvantages to both, although I still believe it's tough to beat the hunting and fishing opportunities in Alaska, along with the minimal restrictions on your basic freedoms. Wife and I also enjoy gold panning which is known to be quite productive in some parts.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
  11. psychotic1

psychotic1 Monkey+

I actually won one of these auctions back a few years ago. Had to let it go back when I moved down to the lower 48. The wife is worth it, and we'll move back up when we retire.

Couple of things to be aware of. My contract was for a 20 year note. My winning bid was on 35k. for most of 4 acres of undeveloped property on the road system on Prince of Wales Island. Worked out to about $900 per quarter. And they wanted to be paid quarterly.

There was no deed, and the Mental Health Trust, which gets the land from the state, and sells it to fund their operations, would only give a quit-claim at the end of the contract. The mineral rights were also reserved to the trust, and they had the right to use your land to get to, and process any minerals in other parts of the tract that was given to the trust. Neither of these were deal-breakers for me, but do be aware of them.

The only other thing I would want to tell anybody interested, is try very hard to go and look at what your bidding on. Landscaping is not really something that happens in Alaska, and any land features that aren't in the pictures are not likely to be easily changeable.

Bruce

BTPost likes this.
  12. Airborne Monkey

Airborne Monkey Gorilla Survivalpithecus

Great reply. A "Like" given because I could only give one ... wish I could give more. [bestpost]

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7