Alexa? Please Record Our Conversations And Then Send Them Without Telling Us.

Discussion in 'Technical' started by 3M-TA3, May 24, 2018.

Tags:
  1. ochit

ochit Monkey+

a speaker can be a microphone :eek:

Brokor and Asia-Off-Grid like this.
  2. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

I knew someone was gonna say that. Yes, quite true.

Prior to walking away from my computer, I kill the power to the monitor and speakers. I do this more to save a bit of energy in case of a power cut (my system runs off a UPS).

ochit, chelloveck and Brokor like this.
  3. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Don't forget the little guy on the motherboard or inside the case that makes beeps if something wrong is detected on start up. Not as common now, but it's worth a look see inside.

ochit likes this.
  4. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I wonder what would happen if you took a pair of well polished 2x4s the slapped together sounded like gun shot ?
    Never mind that could get really messy .

5. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Well, that is a "Maybe".... Many of those are NOT actual Speakers.... as they often are just very small Noise Generation Devices... It takes a lot more computing power to drive a speaker than apply power to a "Noise Generating Device" and they are a lot cheaper to use in place of a speaker... The way to tell is, How many different Noises can your computer make? If just one or two it is a "Noise Generating Device" if it is multiple different Noises, or if it is selectable by the OS, then is it a Speaker... Also if it is a Speaker, you need to know what the speaker is connected to... If is is an D/A-A/D Converter then possible that it could be programmed to listen, if it is just a D/a Converter, there is no way it can act a s a Mic....

6. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

The correct question is
    "Alexa. How long have you worked for the CIA?"

3M-TA3 likes this.
  7. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I thought he was from the same clan that turns off the light in your fridge, freezer, and oven. He has a relative that turns skivvies inside out in the laundry, too.

chelloveck likes this.
  8. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

The only glitch was where the sound clip was sent.

9. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

The guy who switches the light on and off in my fridge is eithèr a lazy b@stard or a contrarian (but more likely both). I usually have to manually switch it on...

10. Asia-Off-Grid

There is no way, on God's green Earth, that I would EVER buy one of those things. I have enough issues with my two wives, the "Boss" and Siri. :D

11. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Ummm... Siri is Alexa's twin sister...

Motomom34 likes this.
  12. Asia-Off-Grid

Yeah, I know. Should have seen me at the last family reunion.

3M-TA3 likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7