Alexa

Discussion in 'Technical' started by melbo, Jan 16, 2011.

1. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

It's estimated that there are over 400 million websites on the net today.

Survivalmonkey is ranked 24,442 in the US and 159,490 worldwide according to Alexa.com on 1/15/2011. The only way Alexa, an Amazon company bought for $250 million in 2005, sets website rank is by tracking those who have installed the Alexa toolbar, which isn't much of a toolbar and only shows a small 1/4" by 1/4" icon in the top right of the browser.

So we're ranked fairly well in Alexa, which is one spoke in the wheel of website rankings. I wonder how many of our regular members have Alexa installed or does this traffic just come from guests?

I have to believe that we have a few regular members who use Alexa to get this kind of status. I wonder what would happen if a few more of our regulars installed Alexa? Could we get to that coveted <10K number?

The Alexa Toolbar

2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Haven't finished my first cuppa this morning, but I don't think I get the connection. (Remember, I'm in full dumb mode with geek speak and technobabble/webcrawl.) I can see that Alexa might be able to count hits if it's installed on a website, but should that not be independent of whether the user/hitter has it installed?

3. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Founding Member

I avoid all of that crap like the plague. Weather Bug, Alexa, Ask or any "tool bar" they mine data.

4. Wild Trapper

Wild Trapper Pirate Biker

Melbo, I usually do not like extra toolbars, etc., but I'll test it out and see if it has any usefulness to me. I see it may be customizable as there is and options icon.

5. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

I don't do toolbars either. Alexa isn't really a toolbar, it's a way of tracking hits on websites that's used by Alexa to determine website popularity and traffic. Higher Alexa rank = higher advertising rates for our guests who see ads.

I was mainly wondering if any members here used it since we have a surprisingly high Alexa rating.

It would also be interesting if we did get below the 10K threshold in Alexa ratings. I wonder what that would do to our traffic if anything.

6. RouteClearance

RouteClearance Monkey+++

I have Alexa. I also just checked your clustermap archives. The SM has had more than twice the visits from just one year ago.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7