Aloha! Off-grid in Hawaii

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Lilikoian, Aug 22, 2017.

1. Lilikoian

Lilikoian Monkey

Here is a photo of a typical local rain catchment system including tank:
    [​IMG]

Tanks average about 10,000 gallons. Here we have rain all year, but the windward side gets more rain than the leeward side. I get enough rain that with a 50 gallon barrel and 7 feet of gutter is enough for showering and dishes. Note that my water usage does NOT include drinking water. Almost nobody drinks catchment water because of the risk of leptospirosis here, which comes from bird droppings that fall on the roof.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
  2. Lilikoian

Lilikoian Monkey

I was getting excited about this idea until I got to this sentence: "Evaporative coolers tend to perform poorly or not at all in climates with high ambient humidity, since the water is not able to evaporate well under these conditions." I'm in the wet tropics, unfortunately.

I have seen one local cupboard in a house that was built before refrigeration. The top shelf had holes in it, but I have not figured out how it was supposed to work. I think it's an icebox, and something I could research.

Mainly I'd like to upgrade my solar and then buy an energy-efficient fridge. I will go check out the resources you have here on solar systems :)

Hanzo and chelloveck like this.
  3. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Gator 45/70 and chelloveck like this.
  4. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

True. But if it is in a breeze...

chelloveck likes this.
  1. AgentPickle
  2. Alanaana
    Media

Dome

Uploaded by: Alanaana, Dec 4, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  3. Alanaana
    Media

Views

Uploaded by: Alanaana, Dec 4, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  4. CaptainCalamity
  5. DurdenJames
  6. saki monkey
  7. old_code
  8. OlSarge
  9. TheRightToBearArms
  10. AR15gunbuilder
    New one from west Florida
    Thread by: AR15gunbuilder, Sep 28, 2020, 19 replies, in forum: New Member Introductions
  11. martha_mill
  12. Bunker Bob
  13. DKR
  14. Modus Operandi
  15. Northern california
  16. Murfylang
  17. Waydah
  18. Kruel J
  19. johnwintergardener
  20. JazzeeJ
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7