Alternate cooling/water heating

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by snowbyrd, Feb 4, 2007.

Tags:
  1. snowbyrd

snowbyrd Latet anguis in herba

We used to use evaporation to keep stuff cool when I was in B.S of A
    uh, still bs here in the A. Boy Scouts of America TNX to Lord Batten Powell.
    We used an apple crate, the wooden ones, slat built, took some cotton cloth, (pillow cases work good) a pan of water and some bailing twine.
    1st hang the crate from a tree limb, with the twine, in the shade
    2nd cover the crate with the pillow case
    3rd place pan of water on the top of the crate with the pillow case 'draped' into the water pan
    4th place the food to be kept cool into the crate
    Just like those 'desert bags' used for water, the evaporation of the water will keep things cool.

Spring box
    Lived in a house with a spring box, the water flowed from a spring (up hill from the house) into a 6" deep 'tray' and out a drain about 4" up from the bottom of the 'tray'. It kept milk nice and cool and our meat was good for quite a while. Eggs good for a long time. (if we didn't eat them all, had chickens at the time)

I know someone out there in 'cyberland' could explain it better, and some have other ways of cooling 'stuff' without power or propane, bring it on. Not a challange, just an expression Snowbyrd

PS NOT BS hee hee
    Made hot water heaters with Copper tubing, and a milk can.

1. Need 1/2" or so copper tubbing, about 6' or so
    2. One milk can, antiques now, but a steel water can would work.
    3. Silver solder, not regular electronic flux core type. Caution: use of other than silver solder can cause lead poisoning. If you NEVER drink the water or use it for cooking go ahead and not use silver solder. I only use silver solder, and recomend you do too!!!
    4. Drill one hole 3/4 of the way to the top the the 'can', another about 3" up from the bottom.
    5. solder a piece of the copper tubing (with silver solder) in each hole leaving enough sticking out to clamp a piece of garden hose or equilivent to it.
    6. One lenght of garden hose, 6' or so clamps onto the top copper nub, the other (6') on the bottom nub.
    7. The other end of the hose is clamped to a coil of copper tubing that is coiled up and placed into the fire pit, under the fire, where the coals will build up

The water in the coils in the coals of the fire heats up, flows into the can and the cooler water refills the tube in the coals, warms and and heads into the can again. If you wanna get fancy solder (with silver solder) solder a spigot on the side of the can, towards the bottom presto hot running water. Keep it filled up and you have hot water all the time.
    Make sure the coil in the fire has enough length to keep the garden hose from melting.

If I need to clarify this let me know, others can probably describe this better and I know some here have done this also,,,,

snowbyrd

1. Coyote Ridge
  2. ColtCarbine
  3. duane
  4. Ganado
  5. Sojourn
  6. DKR
  7. deMolay
  8. Ganado
  9. GOG
  10. Motomom34
  11. Asia-Off-Grid