1. The Topic of the Month for October is "Make this the Perfect Bugout Location". Please join the discussion in the TOTM forum.

Alternative forms of currency being used in the U.S.?

Discussion in 'Financial Cents' started by JadedGray, Feb 15, 2011.

1. JadedGray

JadedGray Monkey+

I have just started buying Junk Silver in the event of a SHTF situation. I'm a city boy with no experience in barter or quid pro quo type deals. I was just curious as to how to go about using silver if the dollar ever dies or the ATM machines stop working. I can just imagine walking into a grocery store around here and trying to purchase $100.00 worth of food or supplies with a handful of pre-65 quarters! I have read that there are places in the U.S. that deal in alternate forms of currency like silver/gold etc. Any examples?
    GreenTeaBlend likes this.
  2. Falcon15

Falcon15 Falco Peregrinus

Here ya go...
    Alternative Currency
  3. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

I think we're a long way away from being able to walk into a store with some silver coins and getting something other than face value for them.

My silver collection is for long time down the road barter and then wealth preservation (post-recovery) We ain't going to be at the bottom forever.

To your question, there are some towns that have adopted a local currency that is accepted alongside FRNS for goods and services. I don't live in one.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary