My new ebook is finally out. It's called A Curiously Small Survival Kit. It's about how to put together a seriously useful Altoids tin survival kit. It's available from SurvivalAssured on Etsy, for $14.95 US. It can be purchased by credit card and download instantly. I had mentioned a few weeks ago that I was writing the book. I thought it would be done in a week. Well--That didn't happen. The book was about 95% done then and looked like an easy glide to completion. But it took three more weeks of revoltingly hard work to do the other 5%. I think I broke my nose on Calibre's learning curve. But it's out now, and it's got some good stuff in it. The kit holds 57 items, all prime survival gear, minus the junk. Several items in it are of my own design and have never been published before in print or on the Internet. Nor taught in any survival class or course, anywhere. It costs about $8.00 to build the kit, counting just the cost of the materials used. Like part of a roll of duct tape, for example. Call it about fifteen cents per item, on average. One of the nicer items included in the kit is the Big Bucket, which is a durable cook pot carried in the tin in the form of a flat Aluminum packet 2.125" square and 0.080" thick. It folds out to a sturdy watertight and fireproof container that holds 2.5 cups of water. It's very reusable. It has a nice set of brass bails (also in the tin) that allow it to be hung on a spit over a fire, or hung on a handle for easy one-handed carrying. As far as I know, no one has ever successfully managed to put a large cook pot inside an Altoids tin before now. Condoms don't count, of course, because it's really hard to cook in them. Especially with a fork. The book also includes a section on how to make Omega-Matches, which purely put boat matches to shame. They're little strike-anywhere bonfires with incendiary inclinations. Plus a lot of other stuff. Like my Saw-Knife, Survival Drill Bit, and Skinny Scissors. The kit has redundancy: Three ways to make fire, six ways to cut things, a LOT of snare wire, three compasses, nine fish hooks, etc. Plus antibiotic ointment, insect repellent, and two mini-meals. The book is written as a How-To slide show with every step in preparing and packing each item shown from start to finish. That's why it has over 200 photographs. That may seem like a lot--and it is--but it's really all a matter of perspective. If they were a video, the run time would only be a little over 8 seconds. Or, on average, it's about 3.5 photos per item. As it is, a person can view them in any order, with no rush at all. The book also includes sources of supply and prices for everything that goes into the kit. Plus the usual list of tools needed for each item. Here's a little teaser: If you buy the book you'll find out why you should hit the Survival Drill Bit with a rock.