Altoids Survival Tin Book is Now Available.

Discussion in 'Bushcraft' started by UncleMorgan, Mar 12, 2018 at 20:16.

1. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I eat vegetables. My friends are not vegetables.

My new ebook is finally out. It's called A Curiously Small Survival Kit. It's about how to put together a seriously useful Altoids tin survival kit.

It's available from SurvivalAssured on Etsy, for $14.95 US. It can be purchased by credit card and download instantly.

I had mentioned a few weeks ago that I was writing the book. I thought it would be done in a week.

Well--That didn't happen.

The book was about 95% done then and looked like an easy glide to completion. But it took three more weeks of revoltingly hard work to do the other 5%. I think I broke my nose on Calibre's learning curve.

But it's out now, and it's got some good stuff in it.

The kit holds 57 items, all prime survival gear, minus the junk.

Several items in it are of my own design and have never been published before in print or on the Internet. Nor taught in any survival class or course, anywhere.

It costs about $8.00 to build the kit, counting just the cost of the materials used. Like part of a roll of duct tape, for example. Call it about fifteen cents per item, on average.

One of the nicer items included in the kit is the Big Bucket, which is a durable cook pot carried in the tin in the form of a flat Aluminum packet 2.125" square and 0.080" thick. It folds out to a sturdy watertight and fireproof container that holds 2.5 cups of water. It's very reusable.

It has a nice set of brass bails (also in the tin) that allow it to be hung on a spit over a fire, or hung on a handle for easy one-handed carrying.

As far as I know, no one has ever successfully managed to put a large cook pot inside an Altoids tin before now. Condoms don't count, of course, because it's really hard to cook in them. Especially with a fork.

The book also includes a section on how to make Omega-Matches, which purely put boat matches to shame. They're little strike-anywhere bonfires with incendiary inclinations.

Plus a lot of other stuff. Like my Saw-Knife, Survival Drill Bit, and Skinny Scissors.

The kit has redundancy: Three ways to make fire, six ways to cut things, a LOT of snare wire, three compasses, nine fish hooks, etc. Plus antibiotic ointment, insect repellent, and two mini-meals.

The book is written as a How-To slide show with every step in preparing and packing each item shown from start to finish. That's why it has over 200 photographs.

That may seem like a lot--and it is--but it's really all a matter of perspective. If they were a video, the run time would only be a little over 8 seconds. Or, on average, it's about 3.5 photos per item.

As it is, a person can view them in any order, with no rush at all.

The book also includes sources of supply and prices for everything that goes into the kit. Plus the usual list of tools needed for each item.

Here's a little teaser: If you buy the book you'll find out why you should hit the Survival Drill Bit with a rock.
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2018 at 20:22
    Ganado, Bandit99, oldawg and 4 others like this.
  3. SB21

SB21 Monkey++

Just a guess on the teaser here ,,,,,, it's a fire starter ?
  4. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey++ Site Supporter+++

LOL sorry I made that post, wouldn't have if I had known.............
  5. Motomom34

Motomom34 Moderator Moderator

6. UncleMorgan

Ah! the teaser! Come to think of it, the Survival Drill Bit would be a great striker for a ferro rod. (Of which there is not one in the kit.) But hitting it with a rock isn't for fire. It's for something wildly different that's perfectly reasonable--once you see it.

I'm really glad you did. It was the perfect motivation and definitely worth the effort. I never thought I'd see the day when I could bang out HTML.

Plus a lot of people will get some good bush tech out of the book. The ideas in it will spread and become common practice. Some of them, anyway.

I'll be finishing up another soon called Simple Survival. It should go a lot easier.

Oh--just to mention. The book is out on Kindle, too. (For the moment.) There's a Look Inside preview on the listing that's probably worth taking a peek at.
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2018 at 2:44
    Thunder5Ranch likes this.
  7. Motomom34

Motomom34 Moderator Moderator

I just bought your book @UncleMorgan Wow! this is more then items you can stuff into an Altoid tin, it is a treasure of info. I have only glanced through it but with the pictures and written detail. Great job. :5s:
  8. UncleMorgan

Ah, Motomom! Thank you so much!

I really wanted to cover every step so every piece could be made right the first time, and so packing it all in the tin would always go as smooth as silk.

You're right: A lot of what's in the book really is basic survival tech, stuff that can be useful in many situations.

Thank you, also, for the marvelous comments you left on Etsy. I really appreciate them. Etsy is definitely my favorite place. Easier to sell on, and a better return than Kindle.

And, now....(Drum Roll!!) now know at last (and at first) why you should hit the Survival Drill Bit with a rock.
  9. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

This is not intended to derail any thing, but I was just looking at my empty air gun pellet tins and pondering how much better they are at staying closed being a screw on lid . Often enough i've had an Altoid tin pop open the con-tense spread all over the place .
    Things like line and twine and gun patches store easily .Easily being made water tight if necessary .and substantially more crush resistant . Those of us that have air guns have a regular resource of these nice round tins .
    Or you could put Altoids in them.
  10. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

You might want to soap and water them first ---
  1. Thunder5Ranch
  2. Witch Doctor 01
  3. Yard Dart
  4. DKR
  5. Yard Dart
  6. AxesAreBetter
  7. RouteClearance
  8. Motomom34