Amaranth Test Plot - Planting

Discussion in 'The Green Patch' started by Elessar, May 31, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Elessar

Elessar Monkey+++

IMAG0008_zpsda9ae6b4.

The larger plants are almost 10 inches now and survived the storms of the last two days very well. There are a few plants that have suffered some insect damage but it hasn't seemed to impede their growth or vitality. I have added four mounds in the center of the rings to test some bush beans that I've never planted before. We usually just plant climbing vines but I just couldn't let that small space lay fallow. You can see the found mounds in the center of the inner ring.

Mountainman and tulianr like this.
  2. Dr.toxophilus

Dr.toxophilus Monkey+

Lookin' good!

3. Elessar

Elessar Monkey+++

The seedlings have almost doubled in size in 10 days. Some are over 12 inches and these little babies are growing strong. There is some kind of insect that has bas been eating at some of the leaves, but I am reluctant to interfere with herbicides for multiple reasons, the most important to me is how they will adapt and survive in a post Event scenario when all that special stuff is not available. Since this plot is not intended as an essential part of our stores, I'd rather just let it be and see how mother nature takes care of it. I can tell you that these babies are like sun dials as they raise their little leaf arms to the sky seeking the sun and turn throughout the day like a sun dial to take in the sun's rays.

More pictures this weekend...stay tuned.

4. Dr.toxophilus

Dr.toxophilus Monkey+

Just wait until they get about waist height. They will grow a foot in a week. It's incredible something that large can grow from such a tiny seed too.

My plants always looked as if something was chewing on the leaves too, but I don't think it affected their growth much.

I tilled and seeded a plot in northern Wisconsin on the 14th of June and then just left it. I haven't watered or done a thing to it since then. I'm curious to see if any plants have come up. I will take some pictures if I get up there, but I think it was put in too late. The growing season up there is short.

5. Elessar

Elessar Monkey+++

We have been swamped with almost six inches of rain over this last week but the plants are thriving. I've tried to take a picture to provide some scale.

IMAG0009_zpsb90f4d55.

6. Elessar

Elessar Monkey+++

Half the plants are over 36" now and growing very well. I have not done any special care except to hoe between the rows to keep the weeds and grass in check. We had four days without rain that included very high temperatures in the 90s and my squash plants in the other garden almost died until I watered the tomatoes and the squash. However, the Amaranth LOVED the dry hot weather and flourished showing a growth spurt in the heat. This stuff is really hearty and doing exceptionally well. I accidentally broke two plants while hoeing so I left one and ate the other. These plants have a very interesting flavor that reminded me of romaine lettuce. I left the other plant to see what would happen and so far it seems to be surviving even with severe damage to half the stalk. I am impressed and looking forward to the seed heads/blossoms.

ETA: Added color. White on white didn't show up. - ghrit

Motomom34 and Mountainman like this.
  7. Dr.toxophilus

Dr.toxophilus Monkey+

Cool. My plants also always did great in the heat and didn't need any special watering. They really will grow fast now that they are about 3' tall. Are the flowers/seed heads beginning to emerge on the very tops quite yet?

8. Elessar

Elessar Monkey+++

Dr: No flowering or seed heads yet, but they sure do like the heat.
    IMAG0011_zps3e432944.
    This is a great plant for low maintenance and easy keeper.

Motomom34 likes this.
  9. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I am amazed at how fast these are growing. And you don't have to water? Wow.

10. Elessar

Elessar Monkey+++

I have not watered or weeded now for weeks and I have several plants that are nearly six feet tall. The seed heads are developing and the stalks are quite large/fat and the leaves, though damaged from insect attacks continue to thrive. This plant is very strong and loves hot dry weather. The last time I hoed, almost ten days ago, I damaged a plant that the stem by cutting half way through the stalk. The stem has laid over on the ground, but the plant continues to grow bending at a 90 degree turn to reach back to the sky and thrive. The seed heads are now about 2" and I am looking forward to seeing them cascasde from the top of the plant. The next pictures I get will be of me standing next to the taller plants, for scale.

Motomom34 likes this.
  11. Elessar

Elessar Monkey+++

The plants are still growing...There are two that are over six feet tall...
    63f1299b-526e-4ddf-bdba-ca71499ac69b_zpsb3ae328e.
    45a62cc6-0de6-4b49-97ac-6c77b0af469f_zpsc9873e95.
    These plants are incredile...

Motomom34 and Mountainman like this.
  12. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Beautiful garden. That would be striking just for ascetic purposes. Looks pretty but you also get food from it, I like dual purpose gardens.

kellory likes this.
  13. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

The interesting question is the yield per acre. Stated another way, how many bread loafs can you get out of the stored grain?

kellory likes this.
  14. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Seeing this thread & reading the word amaranth , your plants look different to the ones my wife has grown this year.
    This also the first time I seen them , plus I have black & silver thumbs .
    She saw yours and said they haven't grown the "frons" (sp) yet .
    So I'll post a pix of her plants , she has one beside the house , a few in the side garden , none in the main but lots in the field , main garden.
    Picture 001. Picture 002.

Motomom34 likes this.
  15. Elessar

Elessar Monkey+++

CS: Your plants look exactly the same as mine. Mine are not competing with any other plants but the leaf configuration and coloring look the same. I have eaten mine in tacos, sandwiches, and grilled chicken sandwiches. I don't have any seeds harvested yet, so I can't comment on yield, but the plants are almost idiot proof. I intend to plant some in the wild this coming spring at my mother-in-law's farm as well as on my property just to see how they'll do completely independent of assistance.

kellory likes this.
  16. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

What I have read, deer won't eat amaranth. It is a really pretty plant. I am going to try it.

17. Elessar

Elessar Monkey+++

Dinner tonight included Amaranth from my test plot: BLTs, but I replaced the lettuce with Amaranth leaves and replaced the Bacon with Jalapeno slices. Hummmmm, spicey, and not for everyone but it was excellent.
    IMAG0170_zpsc0eeac17.
    IMAG0171_zpsbfe17ce5.

Motomom34 and tulianr like this.
  18. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Dang Another Rabbit !!!!
    & a Hot one at that.
    I think the Green Thumb one is getting a grain / seed ..I should be harvesting our wheat / rye soon & then milling the grain into flour..this is the first year for the red plant Amaranth

I only know the mechanical process , the thumb part , I got none :) ,but I could eat !

Sloth

19. Elessar

Elessar Monkey+++

I now have several plants that have grown to nearly 9 feet tall.

20. Dr.toxophilus

Dr.toxophilus Monkey+

nice! Amaranth really is amazing. My plants usually ended up 6 to 8 feet tall, but I'm sure your soil is better and they get full sun there. How are the seed heads looking?

1. Yard Dart
  2. tacmotusn
  3. tulianr
  4. CATO
  5. CANDY fISHER
  6. DebfromAZ1
  7. tacmotusn
  8. Mountainman
  9. ChemicalGal
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7