Amateur Radio Field Day June 23 - find your club now!

Discussion in 'Survival Communications' started by Idahoser, May 9, 2018.

?
  1. I'm a licensed ham or will be soon

25 vote(s)
    58.1%
  2. Very interested but haven't started yet

8 vote(s)
    18.6%
  3. I refuse to get licensed but learning is good

8 vote(s)
    18.6%
  4. couldn't care less

2 vote(s)
    4.7%
  1. Idahoser

Idahoser Monkey+++ Founding Member

If you were ever going to get a taste of what ham radio is about in any capacity, there is no better way than to visit your local club when they set up to operate for Field Day. There they will be set up to operate and ready to show it all off for you. Many clubs will provide a way to let you get on the air yourself if you like, but at the least you can see it in action. They may even feed you.

So find your local club NOW and make plans to get to their Field Day site during June 23-24.

Link to the ARRL website's Field Day page:
    Field Day

Gator 45/70, techsar and Motomom34 like this.
  2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

The club members will have 5 stations set up remotely (from the home QTHs, but in a small city setting.) We will be operating 6M, 10M, 15m, 20m, 40M and 80M, CW and phone according to the current plan. We may have a couple guys working fldigi, that isn't clear yet. We expect a crew of scouts and other kids coming to see what hamming is all about. (Gonna be FOOD, some overnight campers, some BEER, and BBQ, too.)

If you hear N3SRC, try to contact us.

3. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

We'll be operating as W4PDE. I have always said one of the top 5 on the prepper list should be a ham ticket. It's more than just operating radios: It's networking skills, learning electrical theory, finding alternate ways of communication and more.

ghrit likes this.
  4. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

The local HAM club will be setting up and spending the weekend. When I went to field days 2 years ago, they had a food truck and were the kindest bunch of folks. They took me around, gave me materials. If you have HAM days near you, even if you do not have a license, it is a good educational time. The local HAM has assisted in disasters and every active.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  5. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Since I live out in the Field, I will be on Generator Power, just like I am every Day, and operating on 14292.0khz USB, until Dark, and then 7093.0Khz LSB, & 3933Khz LSB, after that till morning...

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  6. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

We'll be having a barbecue at our EOC and operating as W5SLA for field day. Always a good time!

Hope to hear you on the airwaves.

Gator 45/70, Motomom34 and ghrit like this.
  7. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Bump as a reminder for people interesting in HAM radio. This is a great way to get out, learn and see HAM operators in action. This is a great event. See field day link in opening post.

Gator 45/70, techsar and Idahoser like this.
  8. Hre In the Quad Cities, Davenport radio amateur club, W0BXR and W9XR will be operating from West Lake park, under call W0QC.

Gator 45/70, techsar and Motomom34 like this.
  9. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

First day of field day wrapped up...had a great time, ate more ribs than I should have (can you even do that?) and everything's ready for the cw crew tomorrow.

Idahoser likes this.
  10. ghrit

Points and total contacts TBD. We had 2 stations running CW, one completely FLDIGI, one on 15 meters exclusively and the GOTA station on 20 and 40, and another on 15, 20, and 40. Preliminary estimates are close to 1K contacts. The actual FLDIGI count is 98. All numbers subject to confirmation and dupe eliminations. Will report when the numbers are crunched.
    6 and 10 M yielded some results at my home qth operating 1D. Rather surprised at that.

hehe. There was enough rf in the air to cook hotdogs at the club site. Worth the note and future investigation, the FLDIGI rig was spattering all over, and giving the code heads fits on altogether different bands. That may also have been why the local FM broadcast band was obliterated within 25 yards of the antennas.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
    techsar and Idahoser like this.
  11. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

KL7AIR folded up the tents at 1700 - dead bands all around.

The club had antennas and equipment for all bands 160 to 6 meters. The donut hole was not with us this weekend..

[​IMG]

Idahoser likes this.
  12. ghrit

N3SRC field day: Statistically we did better than all previous years. We had 938 contacts with an additional 19 contacts for GOTA by various operators. CW was the favorite mode this year with 2 stations running CW by about 4 or 5 different operators. The digital station did 98 contacts. The phone contacts were made by numerous operators using 3 stations. Final points await confirmations, we had some bonus points for a couple of visitors of various dignity and a reporter that probably got it all wrong.

Idahoser likes this.
  1. Qwertyportne
  2. DKR
  3. William Warren
  4. Tully Mars
  5. sdr
  6. Southbound
  7. bumpshadow
  8. hitchcock4
  9. DKR
  10. SB21
  11. Bandit99