Ammo choices,factory fresh,remanufactured or reload your own?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Oddcaliber, Jan 12, 2018.

1. toydoc

toydoc Monkey+++

was in a DR. office and read an article about "Trail Boss" being a goto for a reduced load. Looked it up on internet and found some good info for it. It is quiet and only looks like it is for close in work but they were talking about deer and hogs so it might work.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  2. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Thanks AD1, Copied and saved

PS, Your friend seems a bit on the rough side, Just say'n

lol

3. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Pretty cool Drs. office, Thanks

4. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

He is chapter 3 in this book. Called Inbound Hot.
    http://amzn.to/2D8QOFk

Michael Durrant is the "Blackhawk Down" pilot who wrote the book.

Col. Codney is a "little ruff"

3M-TA3 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  5. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Thanks again, I worked with a dude out in the Gulf that was on the ground during the rescue mission, Poor guy still has nightmares about his experience.

AD1 likes this.
  6. toydoc

toydoc Monkey+++

How to Roll Your Own Subsonic Loads for Deer and Hogs
    By Joseph von Benedikt September 27, 2017
    Went back and looked and this is the link to the article. Sorry I didn't do it the first time. It was in Field and Stream mag.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  7. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Thanks toydoc!!!

8. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Old school here, long before the 300AAC.

Late to the party for this thread but I load a 180 grain cast flat nose bullet in a 308 brass case.

Unique is the powder, no specs but you can find them on most any cast bullet reloading chart.

Hits hard and is quiet for its load in a Deer rifle. I always carry a few while out and about with the Model 70. A 18 inch "Police" model.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  9. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Painted the end of the shell casing on my reloads, my own color codes for different loads, and for the most part used my loads for target, and factory loads for hunting and self defense.
    Not that I didn't trust my work , having made a mistake or two. You learn to be more careful .
    But you always need more brass, and by loading lite I don't abuse it or the chamber of the gun especially for target . Hot loads waste both. IMO

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  10. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

You know the part in the movie when the little birds went down in the street, he was flying one of those.

11. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Who? My co-worker or Durrant
    My co-worker was on the ground if that will help clear things up?

AD1 likes this.
  12. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

My coworker. Col Bob "In bound Hot" Codney

Durrant went down ina Blackhawk.....

I need to 2x check....maybe I am thinking about Panama and the prison break the Curt Muse...... stand by.....

13. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

Factory ammo only in defensive handguns - for reliability and so no lawyer can tell a jury that I loaded my own ammo to be especially lethal. (...even if that's the desired effect.)
    Re-manufactured ammo - Loaded by a Class VI FFL. No worries. I have visited the guys I buy from and they run a tight quality control operation. By the time I add up component cost and the value of my time at the press, this can be the best option.
    Reloads - Mine are superb, they're tailored to my needs and my firearms. I won't load for anybody else, and I won't shoot theirs, unless it's in their firearm.

Oddcaliber likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7