ammo gone everywhere

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Chizel21, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

If you plan to do a lot of practice (not a bad idea) consider reloading. You can re-use the brass many times (depending on the load) and tailor the powder charge to your comfort zone. However, from what I read you NEVER want to use reloaded ammunition for self defense. Reloading allows you to practice without burning up copious quantities of those scarce, pricey hollow points.

2. fedorthedog

fedorthedog Monkey+++

Looks like some stuff it starting to come back found 40 ammo and ar mags yesterday. Box of 100 mags at the bargain price of 29.99 each. There was also a few primers and some powder even a brick of 22.

3. Sierra

Sierra Monkey

Gun shows have been a pretty good source for us, for ammo. The local sports store sells out so quickly.

4. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

This, in my mind, would be considered a MYTH... There is NO REASON, I can think of, that would preclude use of reLoaded Ammunition for Self-Defense.
    As one who, was a Class 6 FFL in a previous Life, (Ammunition OEM) I have reLoaded hundreds of thousands of Rounds, with no more Reported Misfires, than any of my OEM rounds. One just needs to be very vigilant, in doing the REQUIRED QA on ALL of your Production. The MYTH, of some Lawyer suing you for defending yourself, with reLoaded Ammunition, is just that, A MYTH. It has been tried, and FAILED. Same with being a factor in ANY prosecution for committing Criminal Acts, done with reLoaded Ammunition. The source of Ammunition was never even an underlying Factor in the few cases where this was even brought up as an issue.

Capt. Tyree, HK_User, kellory and 3 others like this.
  5. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

The Hitler spoofs were great [touchdown] But it does show a real problem in the country. When I first heard of fine swines proposed bill I went down to the local Meijer store to see how much .223 was on the shelf. There was none. That was over a month ago and there is still none. I was standing next to a guy who said , man I wish I shot 30-30 look at all the 30-30 ammo. Boxes and boxes of 30-30 still at very low prices(14.97 ) per box. Also 30-06 over 100 boxes in stock.

.22 long rifle, .223/5.56 and 7.62 by 39 and 9mm hand gun ammo are non existent. In January I decided for once I was going to use this situation to better my gun collection. Here is what I had and what I sold them for.

One Stag Arms AR-15 $1700.00
    One Ruger P-89 9MM Pistol $200.00 trade in
    two Remington 7400 rifles in 30-06 $800.00
    One ruger 10-22 $275.00
    7 -30 round Pmags $350.00
    4 -30 round mags for the 10-22 $120.00
    12-10 round Eagle mags for the Remington 7400 rifles. $735.00
    200 rounds of 9mm $50.00

What really shocked me was how much I got for the 10 round Eagle mags on Ebay. One went for 82 bucks. So I made $4,230.00 selling off some stuff.

I used all of that money to buy guns. Here is what I bought. Ammo is in good supply for all of these and not at inflated prices.

One TIKA T-3 Hunter 30-06 Older one but factory new with Leupold 3by9 by 40 scope
    One New Thompson Center Icon 30-06 with the same Leupold 3 by 9 by 40 scope.
    One new in the box but older Ruger model 96 .44 magnum carbine
    One mint condition used Marlin 336 in 30-30
    two Ruger SR22 pistols

Right down to buying the last pistol right now. I am paying a littl more for those two pistols as I have to get them off Gun broker. We got one in and am bidding on another one. So what Learned here is that Bolt action and lever action rifles did not go up in price like the semi automatics did , in fact lots of them out there at reduced prices. I did a month of price shopping. The Tika was an older one but never fired got it for 550.00 it was a steal. The Thompson was 812.00 with tax. the scopes were 220.00 each . The sale of my AR and the pistol trade in bought both of those rifles and the shelves at Meijers are loaded with 30-06 rounds. I have two better 22 rifles and over 12,000 rounds so going to .22 pistols was a good move. I really didnt mind getting 275.00 for my 10-22. Lots of .44 mag out there and again the prices are not jacked up. 30-30 rounds are still in good supply at every store I went to proving once again that 30-30 is still the most available round out there. Im still shocked at how much people were willing to bid on those 10 round eagle mags for the Remington 30-06 rifles.

Anyway I feel like we upgraded in every department from our 30-06 long guns to the carbines and handguns. I love the little Ruger SR22 pistols. Very easy to get one in a bug out bag or pocket holster or even an ankle holster. They are top of the liune in .22 pistols and will shoot the 40 grain CCI Velocitors flawlessly. In short I have no more lack of ammo woes. I can find today what I need on the shelves of most any place that sells ammo.

6. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

@Kingfish--good to see you stop by: This is just conjecture, but from what I've been reading, during a shortage like we're experiencing, ammo companies ARE NOT making 30-30, 30-06, or any other of the ammo that you're seeing on the shelves. That stuff was made before this Newtown kerfuffle. I posted a thread on here somewhere that has their priority list.

Manufacturers are pouring all of their resources on backorders of 7.62, 5.56, .40, 9mm, etc. Basically, anything that the military or LEOs use will get priority. So, you may have 30-30 now, but, when that's gone it's gone. There won't be any of that on the shelves either until they get caught up with the other.

So, the only solution I see is to have reloading equipment. And even now, I haven't seen any primers in a month. So, the way I figure it, if you can get some primers, having a gun in a cartridge that you can cast (e.g., 30-30, 45-70, .38spl, .44mag, etc.) would be of great utility.

How To Cast Your Own Bullets

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  7. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

20 gauge shells everywhere! w00t w00t

8. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

IF, you had 20 gauge 870 Express Magnum, with removeable choke then you could shoot any 20 gauge ammo on the shelf. The steel receiver makes all the differnece.

9. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

boolits 11-6-12 037 (800x600).

VisuTrac likes this.
  10. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

Gator, you sure know how to spend your evenings.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  11. HK_User

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  12. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Gator does many thing's, Being short on ammo is not an option...
    For those that were thinking about reloading/casting..The last few month's is a wake up call..
    So...Gator's advice is make a move and start getting together the componet's that you need, You may not be able to find everything you need today...However after a month or 2 gathering what you do need..You'll be rolling your own soon enough...

oldawg and CATO like this.
  13. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

14. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

More good stuff here...and you see the part about safety gear..Just do it...700 deg. lead WILL get you attention,So wear it..period.

15. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Gun show...
    .22 box of 50 $7-$8
    .223 $1 per round..
    308 .85 cents - $1.25 a round
    .30 carbine $44.00 oer box of 50
    45 $40 per box ball
    It's out there but folks think it's gold..

16. HK_User

Remember linotype? I saw the end of its use, in printing anyway.

Linotype machine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

17. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Yes, I think a little can be found, I was reading the other day about caster's adding copper wire to their lead for harder bullet's, Sound's like it would work ?

18. HK_User

Not in my melting pot!

Tin, Lead and Antimony, use a B tester for hardness and be sure to flux at 700.

Wheel weights work just fine.

Gator 45/70 and CATO like this.
  19. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Mai Yeah, These guy's are looking for 2400 ft.per second...

20. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

I have never seen Meijers out of 30-30 ,30-06 or .44 magnum for that matter. All the gun stores around here never run out of that stuff. However , every time we get a panic .223, ak rounds, .308 and even .22 rim fire are gone in minutes from every store. My reason for changing over from .223 to .44 magnum was simple. More power and ammo is everywhere right now. It will be the same way every time we have these panic attacks. Anyhow I made the switch and am not going back. After the panic I will be looking for another AR. However I wont be buying one based on ammo availability. We also have 20 gauge rounds all over the place here for my 870. Buckshot is scarce but lots of slugs out there. It has not gone up either. KF

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7