ammo gone everywhere

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Chizel21, Jan 26, 2013.

1. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Stopped to purchase a scope cover at one of my local places.

Shelves looked good and each 5 feet was a sign.

One box per person, per day, per caliber.

So these folks have regular traffic and they are slowing down some of the panic buying.

Works for me and gives me a reason to go to town each day.

Prices are pre OBAMA level.

2. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I have a single box of .308 Winchester coming out, on a Crab Boat, that will arrive in the morning. This is for my NEW AR-10... Last box on the shelf in town, as I understand it... Now to get some Iron Sights coming....

tacmotusn likes this.
  3. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Can you order some ammo or ?

4. HK_User

443A308-200
    Description: .308 Atomic Ammunition
    .308 Caliber Ammunition Mfg by Atomic Ammunition sold in
    200 round Plano Mfg reusable plastic ammo can. Featuring
    Nosler Custom Competition 168 gr. hollow point boat tail,
    2600 fps, over Varget powder loaded in once fired military
    brass. Loaded specifically for use in .308 Garand rifles
    and other semi auto service rifles.

$175 per case + $11.95 S&H per case
    To Alaska & Hawaii S&H $16.95 per case

5. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

I managed to find a couple boxes of Remington subsonic 22 (100 rd boxes) at a hole-in-the-wall local shop that normally caters to reloaders. Price was about $3 more than what I last paid for them.

Reload most center fire stuff and learned from the last time, so I did a little stocking up while supplies were adequate. Probably be ok until the after the dust settles, except, of course on 22s. My bad.

6. cdnboy66

cdnboy66 Monkey++

Hee hee, just brought home a case of 5.56. I have a really good Buddy who seems to score this stuff from time to time at a great price.

7. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I can' get ammo shipped in until Late April, when the Barge starts running again, out of Seattle... Once that starts I will reOrder, to restock... Hopefully the prices will have dropped back to somewhere reasonable...

8. HappyPuppy

HappyPuppy Monkey

9. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Now that's a true friend.

10. fedorthedog

fedorthedog Monkey+++

I am placing our annual ammo order for work and have been talking to the state bid vendors. Pistol 2-4 months out rifle 6-9 months out and we get preferred treatment.

Our total order is only 10k 45acp, 8k 40 and 8k 223

11. bfayer

bfayer Keeper Of The Faith

Annual order? Do you work for an agency with only 10 people?

I guess you all don't get to the range much?

I wish my back orders would get filled, I love shooting .22, but I would love to get back to some of my other guns. Even my .22 stock is getting lower than I feel comfortable with.

12. NotSoSneaky

NotSoSneaky former supporter

This go 'round is sooo much worse than last time.

My only consolation is having "some" ammo squirreled away. [tongue]

JABECmfg likes this.
  13. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

I've practiced for over a decade straight, I can afford some time to spend on hobbies and reading instead of heading out to the range. If the price of gasoline doesn't break the bank, add the cost of ammunition and it's just not fun any more. I suppose a person could counterbalance that with some tannerite, but I digress. I would rather have the ammo when I need it.

Hey, archery is still an open market! [touchdown]

HappyPuppy, tulianr and VisuTrac like this.
  14. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

I picked up 80 rounds of 30-30 last week and they still had over 500 rounds on the shelf at my local meijer store. I bought all the rest of their .44 magnum so they are out now however every other store in town has several boxes. 30-06 is abundant in every store here that sell ammo. as is 30-30. What I cant find is 20 gauge buck shot however slugs are abundant. Still no .223, .308, 9mm or 7.62 by 39 . Im told it might be 6 months. I still feel I made a great choice in rifles as we are still able to buy most of what we need and NOT at inflated prices.

KAS and JABECmfg like this.
  15. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Well, once it's available again, ammo prices are gonna be high for a long time.

16. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

High ammo 002 (800x600). High Ammo, Can't find any ? Pfft...

Silversnake and HK_User like this.
  17. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

A good read...........

Where Has All The Ammo Gone? Lemur For Trade

Where Has All The Ammo Gone?

3/13/2013

In case you hadn’t noticed, we are in the midst of an ammunition, primer and propellant shortage. Stories are making both local and national news, and rumors abound on the Internet. I understand there have been large Federal contracts, but those cannot come close to explaining the increased demand for ammunition and components. There is more than a billion—that’s billion with a “B”—rounds of .22 Long Rifle produced in this country every year. One estimate puts it at closer to a billion and a half. The DHS has not bought a billion and a half rounds of .22 LR, so it cannot be pinned on them. Also, it is unlikely to me that Janet Napolitano is trying to corner the world market on Hodgdon Varget, even though it is one of my favorite go-to powders.
    I have some anecdotal evidence of what is going on here. A friend called me from the parking lot of a gun store in Southwest Virginia, “Mark, I just scored 5,000 rounds of Federal .22 Long Rifle!” I cut his euphoria short by saying, “Tim, you have never bought more than 500 rounds of anything before.” To which he replied, “Yeah, but I bought all they had.” I believe Tim’s “score” is being replicated all across the country every time the UPS truck arrives.
    In another instance, a colleague and her husband were traveling and stopped by a gunshop off the beaten track and managed to scoop up some .223 Rem. “The last five boxes we have,” the clerk told them. “It just came in.” Odds are my friend Tim had not passed through there yet. They were delighted, and for good reason. You can buy all the .257 Roberts you want, but .223 Rem. is difficult to find. Actually my somewhat cynical colleague speculated the store owner really had a shipping container of .223 out back, but was only selling five boxes at a time as sales tactic to increase store traffic. Perhaps.
    There is a downstream effect of such purchasing behavior. When people are motivated by external political exigencies to purchase more ammunition than they customarily purchase, there is less ammunition for others. Friends of mine are hesitant to go to the range and shoot as they don’t know when they can replenish their ammunition supply. That goes for matches, too.
    All the major ammunition companies have increased capacity and production over last year’s levels, which was a banner year. If the ammunition makers are producing more ammunition than ever before—regardless of government contracts—why is there no ammo on the shelf? Simply put, other people are buying it before you do. This is basic supply and demand. When demand is high and supply low, prices increase. And my friend Tim could not have bought it all.
    Speculation has also played a role. Two of my editors are voracious readers of The Valley Trader, a convenience store newsprint classified for the Shenandoah Valley, where they both live. Usually The Valley Trader is full of great stuff, such as “FOR SALE: Men’s boots: $40.” It doesn’t say the size (which I regard as somewhat important) or what brand or style, but the good news is that they are only $40. My favorite of all time though is “TRADE: Will trade a lemur for a zero turn mower.” I haven’t priced lemurs recently (now that “Zaboomafoo” is off the air), but that does not seem like a trade I would want to make. Now sprinkled through its pages are ammo speculators. A definitive pattern is developing. Ammunition purchased opportunistically at larger retail outlets—which have not raised their prices to the gouge level—is going for three to five times the retail price. Again, supply, demand and scarcity. When a product is scarce, you can charge more for it. And those that have the product, often do so. Whether it results in an ammunition equivalent of the South Sea Company Bubble of 1720, remains to be seen. It is my belief as the political agitation slows, shelves will slowly start filling again.
    Which begs the questions: How much Winchester white box 230-grain, .45 ACP can I get for a lemur?

HK_User likes this.
  18. HK_User

Local Place has AR types, various makes and models, for sale. Price a bit more than before, like $400!!!!!!!!

For those in need just consider it a STOOPID tax and a cost of being late to the party.

19. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Our local wally world stocks 4 boxes of each type in the AM. My son went by early in the morning the other day and they had three 100 round boxes of 40 cal. The salesman said it was their stocking policy to only place 4 out each day. Son said fine, I will take the remaining three. The salesman said there other policy was a 2 box limit for each purchase.

Went by Cabela's the other day and almost all of their pistol ammo was gone and very little in my caliber of long gun. They had a lot of 7.62 though!!

20. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Went to the range the other day and found the 100 round boxes of .22 minimags were $13 each with a limit of 2 boxes and even that was ONLY if you were going to be shooting that cal there that day. I shot 100 rounds in the new .22 then shot a bunch of 9mm I had loaded, it was cheaper than the .22 and have components for 5-6k more and can usually get some components at my LGS even in the shortages.

The shortage did put a bit of a damper on stocking the loading bench like I wanted from the tax refund though let alone restocking on .22.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7