Ammo pref for Mossberg 500

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by ComeFindMe, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Silversnake

Silversnake Silverback

Glad you made it. Hopefully without too much of a residual physical deficit.

2. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

Marco Montana,
    After two world wars and quite a few conflicts folks should get the hint about the 9.

3. Marco Montana

Marco Montana Monkey+

In NH, you can't shoot unless there is evidence of life threatening. There are cases of citizens being arrested for bringing a gun to get people off his land, and being tried for murder because a guy killed a robber in his house.

The damn liberal agenda is really ruining this country!

4. PapaSasquatch

PapaSasquatch Monkey++

I agree with others who have suggested patterning your various shotgun loads so YOU know what your shotgun will do. I have a 20" mossberg 500 in 12ga that's a 7+1. I keep 00 buck in the tube, then 4 slugs on the side saddle pointed up and two 00 buck pointed down giving me 14 rounds to the fight/recreational outting. I heard all kinds of stats and suggested spreads for various distances and figured that I wouldn't know until I knew.

I took several torso sized targets out to the woods, measured various distances, and found exactly what MY gun would do. My unchoked Mossberg500 with 20" barrel spreads about an inch per 2 yards shooting 00 buck. My rifled 1oz slugs are plenty accurate out to around 75 yards which is more than enough for me.

On a side note, I don't use my shotgun for self defense. "I" am much more proficient and have better muscle memory under stress to operate my AR15; and my 55gr xm193 rounds will penetrate slightly less walls than my shotgun and 40 caliber glock 23 (again, from my own testing after seeing similar tests on Box-o-truth). I also like the shorter length, faster firing ability the carbine gives me over my shotgun and handgun. Wife has my back with her G27.

I'd like to try different size buck shots as I hear they're good out to #4. It'll be a hard sell..i really like the idea of nine 33 caliber led balls at 1400fps vs. more smaller ones.

5. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

Inside the house there won't be much spread to the pattern.. 870 has a cylinder bore barrel; terminal range is 35-40 yards which is farther than the trees and brush.

6. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

7. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

Brokor likes this.
  8. wrc223

wrc223 Monkey+

My personal pref is one that is full of fun, 2.75"-3", and an undented primer! I dont care if it's got a rubber ball inside, the bad guy is gonna stop what he is doing real quick especially if you draw down on his face.

9. Maxflax

Maxflax Lightning in a bottle

I stocked up on the S & B 12 pellet 00 loads.. they are between 2 & 3/4 and 3 inches (metric) and I also use the Federal Barnes all copper slug as well as my handloaded slugs and buckshot as backup stockpile. They all work well in my FN SLP, my Mossbergs and my SPAs 12

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7