AMMO, problems...NOT good!

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by dragonfly, Jul 26, 2011.

1. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

My son, a deputy here, was at the range today and the 3rd round fired from his Glock 32 ( .357 sig) malfunctioned. There was a live round left chambered and the slide has locked tight. This is his 3rd Glock model. He sold his 2-9mm's, and his 2-.40's. All due to problems with the weapon jamming. ( not good!)
    He only uses factory loaded ammo and the weapons were all purchased new from a Glock dealer.
    Since I don't own a Glock, I have no idea what is happening.
    My only idea was to call Glock ( good luck with that one) or find an authorized repair center close by. I looked and could not find any drawings, but knowing semi-auto's, they have several things that can ( and quite often) do go wrong. Sears break, trigger return springs fracture, components come loose, pins work their way out of place and rivets fail...I'm ONLY guessing here: that since there is a live round in the "tube" and the slide has returned to it's position, but the trigger remains in the firing position, something snapped and popped up to obstruct the slide or the sear/trigger assy.
    Any ideas?

hank2222 likes this.
  2. Cephus

Cephus Monkey+++ Founding Member

The best thing is find a dealer as close as ya can ,ya say he's a deputy .
    Well should have armorer that they use or have on call.
    That is what the sheriff dept. here does .
    Cause without having the gun in hand to work on and a live round any it anything could happen.

JMHO

3. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Wow he has had 5 glocks with problems? That is really unheard of!

As far as ejecting the round this what i have done in the past (used to work at a gun store and range). With the gun pointed in a safe direction, hold the top of the slide with the left hand, with the heel of the right hand hit the grip of the gun. Basically you are pushing the frame forward instead of the slide coming back.

What types of problems with the Glocks is he having? FTF, FTE, etc.?

4. Falcon15

Falcon15 Falco Peregrinus

Geez. None of my all steel pistols ever had this problem. Even my "hybrid" poly and steel Ruger runs like a champ. Not good at all if this were to happen when he was responding on a call. I would seriously call Glock directly even if you find a way to fix it on your own or have an authorized gunsmith look at it.

Cephus likes this.
  5. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

Found the problem...he took it back to the range as the range master was there today ( not yesterday!). They pulled the slide back as the hammer was already in the fired position and after measuring, they discovered that the round had not gone off....or so they thought at first! They managed to pull (by some force ) the slide to the rear and out fell the primer......
    They removed the cartridge and lo and behold, there was NO flash hole in the round! The primer had gone off and mashed itself into the slide face jamming the darn thing....They were the ones that sold him the rounds ysterday, and discovered in the remainder of the box, that there were several more cartridges with no flash holes in the brass cases!
    Cool huh?
    WINCHESTER is gonna hear from the sheriff's office today!
    The Glock was checked and tested. then fired 30 rounds of a "diferent brand" of ammo without so much as a hiccup!
    Now my son is concerned that the other Glocks that had similar problems, were not at fault as all he ever used was the Winchester brand ammo!
    He has since changed!
    Interesting huh?
    I know from years ago ( yes I'm THAT old), back in high school I was hunting with an over and under (Savage .22Mag/20 gauge) for dove and quail and I'd had a number of defective shotshells...ALL were hard primers and all were from Winchester...I hated that when you expected a "bang" and all I got was a "click"!
    Makes ya wonder!
    Some things never change?

6. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

can we get the lot numbers? might be some more out there in folks preps...

beast, Sapper John, BTPost and 2 others like this.
  7. Falcon15

Falcon15 Falco Peregrinus

Yes, please. The lot numbers would be nice.

8. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

As soon as my son calls back i'll have him call and get them!
    Good call! ( I never even thought about that!)
    Must be gettin' senile!
    Old timers disease: C.R.S.-can't remember stuff!

9. hank2222

hank2222 Monkey+++

That is the problem is that socalled ammo maker's running a lot is that some bad unit's are going to get out in the run to the public ..

That way we had the pratice of taking diff lot's to the range and running them through the pistol or rifle in diff drills to make the lot's where right for duty use ..

10. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

Problems with Glock reliability are as rare as hen's teeth in factory, unaltered models. No surprise it was ammo. I am a bit surprised it was Winchester ammo.

In terms of maintenance and reliability, Glocks are down to a science. There are thousands and thousands of used Glocks that are sold into the market as PD trade ins. They still run like champs. There are some problems with Glock Generation IV .40 when running certain weapon lights. This is well known in LEO circles where several departments have sent whole orders back and reissued the Gen IIIs. Glock was aware last I heard and had fixed or was fixing the issue. I am really surprised at the prior problems he has had with other Glocks too.

I currently do not own any Glocks. I have owned a 17, 21(2 actually), and 30. I used a 19 downrange for some time. I never had so much as a hiccup out of any of them. By comparision, when putting similar round counts through a Colt Commander, I was tuning the Commander every few thousand rounds. A heavier recoil spring, polished feed ramp, polished chamber, new magazines(CM), more expensive magazines(W47Ds), a bit more throating..... the list goes on and on. I've never even heard of anyone needing as much as a replacement recoil spring on a Glock.

11. LogOut

LogOut Monkey+

Winchester seems be having issues with QC. There's a fair amount of threads on several of the gun boards, mostly about their 9mm.

12. UGRev

UGRev Get on with it!

I stopped using winchester a long time ago. I use PMC, Federal or my favorite: Prvi Partizan.

13. Huntinbull

Huntinbull Monkey+

I have had problems with the white box Winchester. Rims getting gouged and torn from extractors.

14. NVBeav

NVBeav Monkey+++

I'll be darned - I have a few hundred white box Winchester 40 S&W sitting on the shelf. Looking forward to getting the lot number(s).

Fortunately, I just went through about 700 rounds in training and practice without any problems.

Winchester white box just went up from $29 to $34/100 here, so I started buying Federal, which was quite a bit cheaper. Cheaper still will be my reloads - just got my first "batch" last week but there were some problems and need to re-do.

15. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

I will NOT buy Winchester pistol ammo. Had a box of 9mm Luger several years back, firing in my Egyptian Maadi Cadet (civilian Helwan, copy of Beretta Brigadier 951). Had a weird 'pfft' with smoke out of the slide and no fire. Found the primer blew apart and the powder never went of. Did not check primer hole - likely not there.....
    Three other cartridges in that box of fifty had their primers set in SIDEWAYS!! Factory ammo, bought at Wally's. :rolleyes:

I handload ALL my centerfire ammo now.

16. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

Here it is!
    Winchester (white box)
    Lot # 7XA71
    -------

Not sure why, but the 32 is under the 7x numbers.
    Hope that helps!

LogOut likes this.
  17. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

I think ammo manufacturers in/for the U.S. do remarkably well overall. If one has any doubts, they are welcome to try some of this Chinese crap I have laying around in the basement...

This is why it is important to record the lot numbers of any defective ammunition. You can even report it to the manufacturer, there's an idea! You know, for the millions and millions of rounds made, very few ever slip past QC. We know this from experience, at least those of us who have fired enough realize the odds are in our favor to have decent ammo. I do not write off any company based on a bad round or a bad batch. In the Army, we sometimes ran across some poor ammo, recorded and pulled the lot for re-order. Lake City isn't exactly a piss-poor manufacturer, either. It happens to all of them. Heck, just reloading my own ammo I realize how hard it is to make every round 100% reliable.

Anyway, the Glock problem was solved.

18. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

I figured that some part of the machinery broke and they didn't catch it right away....Having worked in a machine shop, I have seen my share of that happen!

19. gunbunny

gunbunny Never Trust A Bunny

.357 Sig is a problem to begin with. It has been plauged with problems from the start. I won't even get into the "solution waiting for a problem" argument. Anyway, early factory ammunition had a problem with a lack of a good taper crimp on the bullet. The case neck is very short, and the overall length of the .355 dia projectile is almost entirely taken up by the oglive of the bullet. Hense not having enough straight sides for the short neck to crimp onto, the bullet would pop out and lodge into the lands when chambered in the pistol. This creates a mess when unloading the pistol.

My personal experience with .357 Sig has mostly been a lack of bullet selection for reloading. I tried as many as I could, but I couldn't get a consistantly accurate round with any of them. The market may be a little different now, and have more of a selection, but I've given up on .357 Sig a long time ago.

20. Alpha Dog

Alpha Dog survival of the breed

I had trouble with blazer 45Acp the cases were aluminum and while on the range they would swell in the chamber after discharge. Then I read in a few articles that the rounds was causing the firearms to lock up and in some articles was causing the firearms to blow up the slides and cylinders. So If any of you shoot that brand watch it. I grabbed it to get some cheap range time but took it back and got another brand.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7