Ammo shortage part 2!

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Oddcaliber, Jun 30, 2020.

Tags:
  1. cpaspr

cpaspr Monkey+++

The new-to-me rifle was a 1951 Winchester 94 in .30-30. I still had the dies from when I had a mid-70s model back in the 80s (which I sold because it was defective from the factory). Brass was free (belonging to a club has its benefits). In my non-semi rifles I try to stick to just one head-stamp, so the forty Federal empties I purchased all went back in the brass buckets at the range. I had a few hundred cast 3118 bullets my dad or I cast back in the 70s (he never loaded them because they didn't feed as well in his .30 Carbine as he thought they would). They work very well in a .30-30 over Unique for plinking loads. I still need to get some factory bullets to load for serious shooting/hunting, but for now I'm sitting on at least a hundred loaded plinkers and am adding to my brass hoard as I find them.

2. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

That was my first reloaded round.

Gator 45/70 and cpaspr like this.
  3. cpaspr

cpaspr Monkey+++

Not counting when I "helped" my dad as a kid, I think .357 Mag or .38 Spl was my first as an adult. Followed soon by .308 and .30-30. That was, um, about 30 years ago.

I may or may not have a reputation for being a brass rat. :unsure::whistle:

I probably had 3000 9mm empties before I ever owned a 9mm firearm. And at least 1000 .223/5.56mm without anything to use them in (I have more now). I've finally stopped adding brass to my collection for most calibers, as I really don't foresee needing any more. I mean, really, 3000+ .38 Specials, beyond what's already loaded? I don't shoot competitions, so just don't see the need to spend that much of my non-work-for-pay hours sorting and cleaning brass I'll most likely never use.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
    Gator 45/70 and HK_User like this.
  4. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

After the last Clinton scare I bought propellant by the kegs. Bought a brick of primers for each pound of pistol and a brick for each keg of rifle. After trump won it all got real cheap real fast. All the greedy suppliers who bought up all and horded the propellant, primers and thought they were going to easily double or triple their money after hillery won her rigged election were stuck eating crow.

5. cpaspr

cpaspr Monkey+++

Well, unless they held them til now, that is. They may still double or triple their money yet.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  6. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

They can't hold on to that much product that long.
    After the 2016 election the hoarders couldn't unload it fast enough.
    They may have held onto it long enough for prices to go back to normal.

Gator 45/70 and Oddcaliber like this.
  7. wideym

wideym Monkey+++

My problem is that I have plenty of 9mm brass, powder and primers, but I can't seem to find any 9mm FMJ bullets to load. I did find some boxes of Speer 100 count FMJ 115gn, only they were $24.99 a box. I'm not paying scalper prices for FMJ bullets or ammo since I have about 2000 rounds of 9mm I loaded myself and 4000 rounds of factory ammo.

3M-TA3, Gator 45/70 and Oddcaliber like this.
  8. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Cast your own.

9. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

You know, I see so much 30/30 brass at Sherburne on the cement..Free to whom ever wants it,Its a bit of a drive for you...but free is always nice !

Tully Mars, HK_User and Oddcaliber like this.
  10. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

I do have some vacation time coming. Might be worth the drive.

Tully Mars, Gator 45/70 and HK_User like this.
  11. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Pick it up and sell it.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  12. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I dont bother with it anymore
    Probably have a shoebox full and no 30/30 "gasp"

oldawg likes this.
  13. cpaspr

cpaspr Monkey+++

Like HK_User mentioned, casting your own gets you away from that demand and supply problem.

Reloading is why I haven't bought any factory handgun ammo in many years.

Casting is why I don't have to spend anything on handgun projectiles. My father gave me his old pot a number of years ago, with about 30 pounds of lead. A friend gave me another 100 pounds of lead shortly thereafter. I've made a lot of bullets (by my standards, almost nothing by some other people's needs) with that old pot, and I still have the 100 pounds, about ten of the original 30, and about 30 more from recovered lead from the range berms, with another 30 pounds of recovered bullets waiting to be remelted. And I can always go get more.

Gator 45/70 and Tully Mars like this.
  14. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

A good round for a guy sitting on the top of a mountain;)

Gator 45/70 and oldawg like this.
  15. Tully Mars

Brass isn't the issue-primers are.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  16. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

You can melt lead down into the shape of a usps small flat rate box.
    The post office will love you.

Oddcaliber and Gator 45/70 like this.
  17. Tully Mars

By keg do you mean 8lb, 16 or 32? By brick do you mean 1k, 5k, or 10k? Hopefully at least 16 and 5k...

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  18. Tully Mars

WHA???!! WTH kinda Cajun do you call yerself if'n you ain't got no 30-30??!!!

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
  19. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

Got more ammo than I'll shoot in the remainder of my life unless I give up doing anything except for shooting.

20. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

After retiring in 08 and finding ammo I'm short supply, I started grabbing what ever I could for reloading, and consolidated calibers down to those I use the most, plus a few specialities, just because I like shooting them!
    Bulked up in powders, primers, and bullets as I found them, and now we're sitting pretty on a massive pile! Also started back up making my own Black Powder and casting lead by the ton, so we're good there! I have so many musket caps I could supply a couple division's worth for years! Lol
    I actually prefer black powder for a lot of my survival preps, it stores easier, and is easy to move what ever amount I may need, so keeping my self in the black powder cartridges is easy!
    I'm never getting caught out lacking from now on, it wasn't my fault as I wasn't even in country when it all went south, and I got my self in pretty good shape when the masses panicked in 2012, so I didn't suffer then, and leaned what could happen, so I got proactive about it!

1. T. Riley
  2. duane
  3. OldDude49
  4. oil pan 4
  5. deMolay
  6. Grandpa Patch
  7. Bishop
    Thread

Socket mold

Here is how I make my slingshot ammo with a socket. [MEDIA]
    Thread by: Bishop, Dec 2, 2018, 6 replies, in forum: Bushcraft
  8. Bishop